Pioneer DVL 90 DVD Players

DVL 90

(See reviews)

John Camp   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 13, 2002]
Strength:

None

Many

Absolutely worst DVD player in the market

Hi-End guru   Audiophile [Aug 31, 2000]

I replaced a Sony S559D with the DVL-90. What a diffrence. This unit is excelent. I am however still wondering if for half the price, the Sony-S7700 would be just as good. I have an all Sony setup, including the new TA-N9000S, & the TA-E9000ES. Both pieces are excelent, and coupled with the DVL-90..... Well words can't explain the sound. I am viewing on a 36" proscan via S=Video. I also purchased some Paradigm Monitors, which are awsom as well.

Cliff   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 19, 1998]

BEWARE of this player - I lived with the Pioneer Elite DVL-90 for six months and came to really dislike it. Poor ergonomics, poor mechanicalbuild quality (noisy), and poor DVD performance/features relative to other stand-alone machines. I would cite the following:
1. On the DVD side, this unit (and the similar DVL-700) has a cumbersome implementation of subtitles (which automatically appear when playing a new disc) and screen format (which must be adjusted separately for each anamorphic disc, if you have a 4:3 TV, rather than once for your particular TV screen).

2. A workaround for the above is possible by saving disc parameters to memory, but this cannot be done for more than 30 discs at a time.

3. Fast forward and reverse on DVD are not very fast. Slow reverse on DVD is not possible at all.

4. A software bug in the DVL-700 and DVL-90 that prevents these machines from playing Fleetwood Mac's DVD "The Dance" has recently been reported in several places on the internet forums.

5. The player's motor is unreasonably noisy, even at a listening position six feet away with the player behind a closed glass door!

6. Finally, the manual is poorly organized and contains errors. On the laserdisc side, I have no complaints except for the mechanical noise level.

My opinion is that, until Pioneer gets its act together on DVD/LD combi players, go with separates. I finally got rid of my DVL-90 and replaced it with a CLD-99 LD/CD player. My Sony DVD player is now on order.

James   an Audiophile [Jan 20, 1998]

from pioneer you can't expect that good quality products. when i first saw the product i thought wow this looks cool (but the Toshiba Model looked alot better and looked more Crisp) when i took it home and i started watching a movie on my Sony ES500b Receiver w/Eosone Speakers. the picture was ok but the sound had not matched the quality of my CD Player. The sound had probably the worst sound you can expect from a CD Player it sounded more like a cheap $50 CD player than a $1000 one. Pioneer has the Moto "The Art Of Entertainment" but if they can even use that logo they have got to fix alot of there products. for instance the speakers w/LPR Technology. Those speakers produce alot of heat due to the fact that it has no gasket and is actually rubbing against the side of the speaker wall. but there is a little space about 1mm for the speaker to move but the speaker tends to shake from left to right causing the speaker to sometimes get the receiver to go to it's Overload or Protect or Short Circuit mode.

Spencer   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 1998]

As a owner of Pioneer models LDS2 and Cld99, I'm shocked at how poor a laserdisk player the DVL 90 is. The picture is noisy and lacks resolution.

Jim   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 1998]

The DVL 90 fails miserably for playing CD's. The sound is too lean and harsh. Budget players like the Marantz 63 easily outperform it.

Yee Fung   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 1998]

I agree with Mr. Spencer. I saw this unit and the new 909 unit recently. As laser disc players the are below average, Resolution was poor. Chroma noise was abundant, and Colors were dull. If Pioneer continues to produce suce poor laser disc players, It could spell the death of laser disc as a viable medium.

Ron Leczynski   an Audiophile [Jun 02, 1998]

I just purchased a Pioneer Elite DVL-91. I got to tell you that it is better than the Sony DVP-S7000. I have lived with the Sony for 10 months now and have loved it. It is still a damn good player. My old Pioneer laser disk player was on its way out(6 years old/Lots of use). I was to buy a good Laser Disk player only, until I looked at the DVL-91. WOW!!! This player is a true reference player. It handles scenes such as the hay on the ground behind Bill Paxton in Twister, perfectly!!! The Sony was the only one to handle that scene that I know of. I looked at the first generation Pioneers (DVL-700/DVL-90)...Bad, Toshiba players even the new generation Toshibas... Better than Pioneer but still BAD!!!. I even saw the Meridian DVD....BAD!!! Sony was the only one that could handle those early DVD's. Until now!! The DVL-91 rules. The video frequency responce is more extended on the DVL-91 compared to the DVP-S7000. I have an 8 foot front projector and it is easy to see the difference. Even the standard 4/3 aspect movies are sharper, so it's not the interpolation taking place in the Sony on wide screen movies. Pioneer has done there homework here and have come through with a real Reference player. Laser disk looks a lot better than my old player but DVD rules.

Jason   an Audio Enthusiast [Jun 02, 1998]

Mr. Leczynski is completely wrong about the DVL-91 as far as laser disk are concerned. Both my CLD 97 and CLD 99 have noticibly better picture than this latest Elite unit. With poor products as this, I'm afraid that Mr. Fung may be correct. The death of laser disk is eminent and near.

Frank Kubanek   an Audiophile [Jun 12, 1998]

Talk about mixed reviews! After reading the reviews of those who wrote before me it seems that one either loves or hates this machine. Could Pioneer be having problems keeping a consistant build quality??
My particular impression is a mix of the others above. I agree completely with Cliff about the mechanical inconveniences of this product. It _is_ noisy. Fast Forward and Reverse _are_ slow. The ergonomics are dismal. So much for the bad news.

I found the picture quality _very_ acceptable My Audio Essentials test disk showed no major flaws in picture quality. I have not yet found a DVD it could not play, but I have not tried the Fleetwood Mac disk mentioned above.

On the plus side, I found that as a CD player, it out performed my ADCOM very nicely. I found it very musical and natural. It's performance on Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' Laser Disk was flawless, both visually and musically. 'Amadeus' on DVD was also exceptional. When you consider the fact that this machine plays CDs DVDs and LDs I can easily accept the units noise. The trick is to play the sound loud enough, and put the player somewhere it does not resonate. (it will still be somewhat noisey but positioning does help).

If I payed that kind of money for only a DVD, I will admit I would be slightly disapointed. But considering the fact that it opened up a the whole world of laser disks (I never considered a Laser Disk player before) I think it is a good investment.

It is possible I dont know enough about video to know what a 'good' picture should look like, but I currently consider the Video Essentials laser disk as good a test of video performance as I am likely to actually understand.

Musically however, I found the output of both AC3 and THX disks to be excellent.

With such very diverse opinions on this product I wonder if there was (or still are) problems with the manufacture of this product. The one I have suits me just fine, and I consider myself to be both cheep and picky.