Marantz DV7600 DVD Players

• 216MHz/12Bit Video DAC

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 23, 2020]
jeff89

Strength:

Superb picture, sound quality, easy to setup, very informative and specific user manual, easy to use remote control, very well built and it does NOT run hot. Again, this is a 1st rate player.

Purchased:
Used
[Nov 04, 2007]
stockcontrol
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Everything

Noisy tray when opening and closing. Thankfully you only do that for a few seconds every two hours

Ive always trusted the reviews that others have left on this site and what the experts say and im glad i did on the one. I bought it without checking it our at all. The reason i made the purchase cause i wasnt happy with the quality of my image from my Sanyo Z3 projector using my older Pioneer DVD player. I knew the projector had more to offer.
Adding this DVD player totally changed it to the point where it would make all those people who say all DVD players are the same would change their point of view. This has saved me from a potential big spending spree on a new projector.
Im not that good at describing how its better. Lets just say it does everything better. Colour, sharpness, contrast, progressive scan. The lot.
As for audio i use the digital out so i really dont know how it goes on that front. My reciever does all the work there.

Pioneer, Yamaha, Toshiba

[Jun 29, 2007]
marantz 7600
AudioPhile

Strength:

build
video performace

feet under player are useless replace with aftermarket

half the recommended retail price i got it for,big special at simpy hifi.
great build quality of product.video and sound are great as a standard unit
then i had it tweaked by customanalogue.now it became a audiophile player
$1500 for conversion.i will compare to any cd player 10 times it original price without hesitation.remove marantz feet and replace with herbies audio tender feet
you will need good quality hdmi cable for video and top class interconnects.

sony dvp 999es

[Feb 07, 2007]
Tweeter
AudioPhile

Strength:

SUPERB SOUND AND PICTURE QUALITY
High grade electronic components & circuitry (HDAM’s)
Video and Digital Output On/Off switching remotely
Remote Control Button Layout
Display On-Off and dimmer control
Power Off Memory Resume
Excellent JPEG Viewer
HDMI Upconversion

Digital output must be turned OFF for DVD Audio multi-channel to work and back ON each time to send Bitstream to receiver (BIG PAIN)
Fixed Bass Management cross-over frequency/slopes
Non-Illuminated Remote
Slow loading discs
No Screen Saver
Doesn’t display remaining time on disc
Unit runs warmer than I prefer.

I have owned this model for ten months now and overall, given it’s many strengths, and some weaknesses, I am still pleased with it. The sound and picture quality has been and still is spectacular to experience.
Three years ago I was interested in the Marantz DVD 8400 but was put off by the high cost and limited bass management capabilities. So I settled for a Denon DVD2900, which had better bass management capabilities and decent sound quality but lacked the sonic clarity of the Marantz. When I came across this unit at a local dealer, I was pleased to learn that this model had improved bass management capabilities, Marantz’s HDAM’s (HQ analog audio output amplifiers), and a comfortable price point half of the top of the line DVD9600 and previous DVD8400. I auditioned it at home for the weekend and was pleased with the sound quality improvement over the Denon. The details of instruments were clearer, vocals were richer, overall tone was warmer, and soundstage was expanded and transparent. I was also surprised that the picture quality was far superior to the Denon. Playing regular DVD’s thru the component output looked closer to the picture quality I get from my HD cable receiver with rich colors, good contrast, almost “film like” quality with less digital artifacts than the Denon or any DVD player I have ever had.
Others have commented on the heat issue, and I have to say that when I remove discs from the unit after playing 30 minutes of more, they are very warm to the touch. I haven’t experienced any read errors as a result, but the unit could use better ventilation.

Denon DVD-2900 / 2200, Toshiba SD6200 / 2109

[Mar 04, 2006]
Bob

NONE

Picture and sound quality are absolutely superb even using component output jacks. This is a very well built DVD player. The manual and the remote control are very easy to understand and the lay out of the remote is the best that I have ever used. I am really impressed with the picture and sound quality that the Marantz DV7600 player produces. It's absolutely 1st rate. I am really happy that I bought it.

Sony and Denon

[Mar 03, 2006]
Bruce
AudioPhile

Strength:

Superb picture and superb sound quality. Very easy to understand manual and setup is very easy. DTS, SACS, DV-Audio, etc. sounds superb off of this unit. Build construction is excellent. It also very easy to use the well laid out remote control.

I could foolishly "nit pick" but when it comes to "what" really matters in a DVD player such as picture and sound quality-no weaknesses come to mind.

The Marantz Model DV7600 is proving to be one of the most exceptionable DVD players that I have ever used. It performs outstandingly using its component jacks, 5.1 output jacks and HDMI jack. The picture quality and sound quality is absolutely superb. As for the build construction, it’s excellent. Very solidly built and I have tried out many other DVD players. A few of them cost around $2,000 and I can easily say that this Marantz DV7600 puts them all to shame. The sound from this player simply blows away other DVD players that I’ve tried completely away. It’s definitely not slightly an above average DVD player. IT’S WAY ABOVE AVERAGE. As for the instruction manual-it’s very well written and I don’t have any problems understanding it. In-fact, it’s one of the best manuals that I have read. I am very happy that I have purchased it. My receiver isn’t a $198.00 Home Theater special that’s crap. This Marantz DVD player deserves to be used on a GOOD Home Theater Receiver that’s clean and can handle the very advanced features that this player has. I can honestly say, after sending or taking back, 11 DVD players that I had purchased because I could not buy a player that functioned properly in BOTH sound quality and picture quality UNTIL NOW. I’m definitely keeping this Marantz DV7600 DVD player. It’s OUTSTATANDING in both picture quality and sound quality. I finally have purchased a DVD Player that I’m ACTUALLY going to KEEP!!!!

Denon, Sony and Panasonic

[Feb 23, 2006]
amras
AudioPhile

Strength:

Video is MUCH better then previous Marantz lines has ever produced-easier as good as the 3910. Just breathtaking. Audio is 85-90% as good as a dedicated player and definately better than Denon and way above others like Onkyo, HK

On the negative side(and every player has one) The menus are just not intuitive. It does require going into the menu setup and disabling the dig audio out for dvd-audio playback- a hassle- but indictative of discrete, dedicated audio lines(a good thing.) Some features that you would have assumed will be included are not, ie. remaining time display for vid/mus(c'mon!?!), backlight remote, etc.

Up to a year ago I’d always had $100-$200 dvd players thinking they were all the same but I decided to take a plunge b/c I wanted a universal player. I couldn’t be any more wrong about the video side. This is just an amazing all around dvd player. The picture is flat out stunning. Since then I’ve tried a good number of upconverting players like Denon(2910, 3910), Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and Oppo and it surprisingly blows away any sub $1000 player out there. The picture is so rich, so detailed that my mouth still drops when I watch a movie. The audio is Marantz, no need to say more. · DVD-Video/Audio · SACD-Stereo/Multi-ch Playback · 480, 720, and 1080 outputs from HDMI · Built-In 10-Bit processing Scaler · HDAM® Audio Circuits · 216MHz/12Bit Video DAC · RS232C System Control

Denon 2910,3910 Onkyo 1000 Panasonic 97 Oppo Pioneer

[Jan 09, 2006]
peter62
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Audio (multichannel and stereo) quality, picture quality using HDMI output

Manual, cables, but most manufaturers make this mistake

I bought this player to replce a Marantz DV6400. Also a very good player but less digital features like HDMI. The player is exellent in picture and sound quality but not user friendly. And also it's not the most well build Marantz I've ever seen. My DV 7010 from 2001 is a tank in comparision with the 7600! Anyway, in sound and picture quality it's worth his price fully. SACD and DVD-a sounds remarkably good, but the thought of first getting trough several menus before i can even play a DVD-audio kills the pleasure of listening! After playing one DVD-A to check the player, I've never played one again, just for this reason. Even SACD needs extra use of the remote to put the player in multichannel mode! The overall quality is not a big plus for the player.

Marantz DV7010, DV6400, Sony DVP 900S, Pioneer DV 565

[Dec 11, 2005]
ruhayatx
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Almost-universal disc player with above average sound and very good picture quality.

Not as good as you might have been led to believe. It's still very much "mid-fi", if not entry level (sniffle)... the kind of sound quality I'd outgrown 5 years ago (sniffle sniffle)

Yes, I can confirm that this player is hot. And I meant that literally - play a CD or DVD and the disc comes out more than slightly warm at the end. In fact, the player itself became hot to the touch (more so than my Densen amp!) when I had it placed in an enclosed hi-fi shelf that I had to take it out. Weird. This makes me concerned about its lifespan. Disclaimer: I've never been a fan of the Marantz sound, having experience with various models of theirs down the years, starting with the highly-acclaimed CD-50SE in the late 80's. Each player only lasted a few months in my setup at the most. The problem is that - to my ears at least - Marantz makes "hi-fi", not music. And this player has not done anything to make me change my opinion. It's a player of "buts": Yes, the CD sound is good. For a universal disc player. Yes, the picture quality is good. If your TV/projector has HDMI. And the feature set I can't really quibble with, except that it lacks the capability to play the DivX format (which I think may become crucial with the increasing popularity of downloadable HDTV in the future). Don't get me wrong. In the context of its price range, and compared to the Sony DVD player it replaced, it's definitely stonking (the Sony, however, proved more forgiving when playing less than ideal discs). But it doesn't walk on water, which is what you might expect from reading some magazine reviews. Why, one magazine I have read gave it such glowing praise, to the extent of claiming the sound to be on par with the best CD players out there! Unfortunately for the DV-7600, the main player in my system is the Primare D30.2, and against even such an "antiquated" yet delightful source the Marantz finds itself rightfully embarassed (the Primare is 3x the price). To be honest, I don't think this particular Marantz will last very long in my system, either. I bought it off a friend who's had it for a couple of months mainly on the strength of the many glowing reviews it has received, and this most likely set up the DV-7600 to be a disappointment. I suppose I'm just spoilt by the high standards set by the system I have spent many years arriving at, that I am unwilling to compromise when it comes to my new-found hobby of building a complete HT system. On the other hand, when it comes to parting with this player, I doubt its memory will linger long (unlike, say, that of the Quad CD-67 I disposed off once upon a time). Don't set your expectations too high and you won't find this player lacking. Otheriwse, you'd probably be left wondering what the fuss is all about. (It recently won the HI-Fi Choice best budget DVD player award, afterall). It's good. But not *that* good. ----- My system info: Primare D30.2 CD player, Densen DM-10 integrated amplifier, Harbeth HL-P3 speakers with dedicated Xtenders passive subwoofers, Nakamichi tape deck, Kimber cabling throughout.

Similar Products Used:

A couple of Sony DVD players, a Sharp jobbie, another one from Samsung. Still looking for the one to match the kind of quality I'm used to with my stereo hi-fi system.

[Oct 19, 2005]
starguygwb
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Movies with the hdmi are just drop dead gorgeous, music in all forms(sound stage, depth, bass).

Heat, hdmi port seems very delicate.Disc load times are way to long, to play sacd, dvd-a you must enter menu and change bitstream to off. Remote needs to be backlit.

I finally replaced my Pioneer elite universal player. And I'm very glad I did. This player sounds very nice,movies, sacd, and dvd-a all sound beautiful. I am wondering about heat, this player seems to get hot. Enough so that when you take a disc out, its warm to the touch. And also the hdmi port(sucks). I have a tv with a dvi con,and use an adapter to plug into the player. And the cable seems to heavy on the hdmi port. I can no longer use this con, and I will buy a new hdmi cable with a dvi at the other end for the tv. If it still doesn't work I'll send it in for a new port. But movies and music are still very nice. The other reviewer mentioned something about entering menu to play sacd's and dvd-a. All I do is wait for the disc to load and enter menu, move cursor over to audio and change the bitstream setting to off. Some people might think this is alot to do but I don't. He has a reciever that he has to change, but my rotel pre-amp is all set. Just change the player and thats all.

sony,pioneer elite