Go Video VR4940 DVD Players

VR4940

• DVD player/recorder
  • Blank DVD-R disc
  • Remote control with batteries
  • RF coaxial audio/video cable (3 feet)
  • Stereo analog audio/composite-video interconnect (3 feet)

tedcloak   Casual Listener [Sep 26, 2004]
Strength:

One-touch copy is outstanding.

None observed over a very short time of operation.

Supplementing previous reviews: We bought Fuji dvd-r and dvd-rw media and it worked just fine; copied a whole movie from vhs to dvd-r. The dvd plays without problems on my Panasonic 27" TV-vcr-dvd combo.

Similar Products Used: None.
kiko456@cox.net   Casual Listener [May 21, 2004]
Strength:

Very good quality products on discs that I was able to burn.

Can't buy just any DVd-r discs.

I recently purchased the govideo 4940 dvd/vcr recorder. I successfully recorded to the 2 blank DVDs that were provided. After reading the first post here on this product, I went out and bought some Imation DVD-R discs. I received error messages after recording. I called go video and they told me to purchase sony, phillips, or verbatim dvds. How frustrating! I will now try and purchase verbatim dvds. If these do not work, I will return the product. I just don't understand how a company could mass market a dvd recorder and it is not able to record to just any dvd. I will say that the two successful dvds that I copied with the 2 discs that were provided turned out great. I looked for the brand name of the discs provided so that I could purchase similar discs, but there is no brand name on them.

jsbrown01   Audio Enthusiast [May 04, 2004]
Strength:

Ease of use, allows you to merge multiple units into one convenient unit. DVD player output looks great.

Sensitivity to type of blank DVD-R's it will record on. Read above advice. After you've dubbed your old video tapes onto DVD, you won't have much need for the VCR in the unit, although some studio videptapes are copy protected, so you can't dub them to DVD.

This is a really great unit, but just wanted to write a quick review to alert buyers about this product. The DVD recorder is very sensitive as to what brand of blank DVD's you use. I didn't know this until I called GoVideo and they told me. Therefore, I wasted lots of money, time and numerous blanks before being told about this. The ones to use, according to GoVideo, and according to what I've had success with are Verbatim and Imation blank DVD-R's. Do not waste your money on TDK, Maxell or Memorex blanks. They don't work. You'll just get error messages and lots of plastic coasters laying around. Good luck!

Similar Products Used: No similar products on the market as of 4/2004 that I know of.