Apex Digital AD 600A DVD Players

AD 600A

Single Tray DVD, VCD, CD, SVCD, CVD, DVCD Player - PAL/NTSC System Compatible - Dobly Digital/DTS - S-Video and Component Video Outputs - MP3 Compatible

suburbanator   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 06, 2004]
Strength:

Mp3, MultiRegion, CHEAP, Extended Warranty available from seller for 5 years for only $40...

Crappy remote and cheap craftsmanship.

Cheap and Nasty looking and feeling but it met all my needs as an initial DVD Player. It was the ONLY dvd player available in Canada at the time that played MP3's, VCD's and Multi Region Dvds. It has worked without trouble since new, I will be replacing shortly to increase the digital performance of my system.

Similar Products Used: None.
Roydjt   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

Price

Unreliable operation, disc has to be perfect, not-too-user-friendly menus, inferior sound from the coaxial output.

I first purchased this unit based on the recommendations of a friend and the reviews that I had read about it. The first unit I took home would pause momentarily at the beginning of a chapter. I called Apex Digital's customer service department, which was of no help, and returned it to Fry's for another one. I can understand getting a bad unit. But the second one I got would "hiccup" often, a brief interruption for a fraction of a second on every DVD I tried in it. If the disc had any imperfection like a minute scratch, it would freeze up and I would have a hard time even getting the disc out. I put a flawless copy of "American Beauty" in and it wouldn't even load. I have since exchanged it for a Toshiba model that has superior sound and menu navigation, as well as flawless operation.

Similar Products Used: Toshiba SD2800
Vince D'Angelo   Casual Listener [May 09, 2000]
Strength:

value for money enven though in Australia we pay a lot more for the comparative unit (Hiteker),disables macrovision, region free, mp3 player, good sound quality and video ok!

looks ordinary

I have played many DVD movies from the Matrix to A Bugs Life in region 4 and 1 withour any problems....

I have noticed the voice syncronisation problem that other people have mentioned but I thought this was a pro-logic related problem. its not that bad anyway.

in all, its good value and plays through my VCR in any region....thats enough for me and the mp3 player is a bonus.

I have other people wanting these features in their very expensive units but can't get them....too bad!

Similar Products Used: None
Corey Benham   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 10, 2000]
Strength:

This unit is Top notch for it's cost. It has a 8X zoom, good remote, and it plays MP3's and MPEG's!

Slow access time for MP3's, and smaal buttons on the products face.

I love this DVD Player, it's the best I have seen. I had a Panisonic and I returned it just to get this unit. It is one of the only DVD players that plays burned audio cd's and burned DVD's. It also has a loophole menu in which you can change country codes and turn of the Macrovision to permit recording to VHS. The unit is made by a small company but it sure packs the features. It is a great deal.

Similar Products Used: N/A
Gary   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 19, 2000]
Strength:

Superb color and contrast. Excellent sound quality. Very nicely designed in looks and appearance.

Remote control enter button is PLAY button which is not like other remotes. Not too sure about a fewr set-up menus. Picture quality is sharp on close-ups; bacground shots are not too clear causing loss of 3-d look that other players have.

This is for the AD-500 model. It would have been a great machine except for the weakness I mentioned in picture quality. I also noticed alot of background pixelation, however this did not seem to disturbe the picture quality unless it was the possible cause of the smearing. This machine would have been a great bargain; I would call it a fair bargain.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer, Zenith, Toshiba
Gary   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 19, 2000]

Similar Products Used: Pioneer, Zenith, Toshiba
S. Nathan   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 19, 2000]
Strength:

Amazing price, very good to excellent picture quality, good build quality.

Tiny buttons on remote, poor button layout on remote, grainy 4X zoom, unproven reliability.

This is a review for the Apex ADA500

WOW! A DVD player for only $99 bucks. I was very skeptical about purchasing this player, but the price was too tempting. After owning this player for a few days, I am very impressed. In fact, I disconnected my Toshiba SD3109 and I am using this player instead. There is no noticeable picture difference between my Toshiba SD3109 and the Apex ADA500. The overall brightness on the Apex is a bit dimmer, but it actually makes the picture more theater like. I like the Apex better than my Toshiba because it loads DVD's much faster. I don't know why the Toshiba is so slow.

Another thing that amazed me about this player is the build quality. The casing, front panel, remote, and actual DVD drive are much better than I was expecting for a $99 product.

The only problems with this player are that the remote could have been designed better. The buttons are too tiny and are organized very poorly. My only other complaint is that when using the 4X zoom, the picture becomea grainy. However, I hardly ever use the zoom feature so it's no big deal.

This player is a steal for $99. I recommend purchasing this player and using the savings to rent DVD's. By the way, a 1 year service plan from Circuit City costs only $12.95.

BUY THIS PLAYER NOW!!!

Similar Products Used: Toshiba SD-3109, Panasonic A120, Konka KD1800U
Gary   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 18, 2000]
Strength:

MP3 decoding, can disable macrovision, decent picture and sound

LIP SYNC-the audio and video can get extremely out of sync. The audio is behind the video to be exact.

This player might make a good secondary player, but I would not recommend it for full-time use. The audio lag is horrible and can get very annoying. If it weren't for this problem this player would be quite good. The only thing good about this player is the mp3 decoding and the secret menu which lets you disable macrovision.

Similar Products Used: Panasonic
Steve Bremer   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 23, 2000]
Strength:

Price, MP3 playback

Video quality, new company, no website, weak manual

This unit went back the very next day. Tried the AD-660 and got a nicer mp3 interface but no component video or karaoke. The 660 stayed about only 2 weeks. The main problem with these players is the low quality Mpeg decoder. Gradients were noticeably stepped. Darker or shadow areas had various size squares appearing randomly and very noticably. When using an S-video connection I noticed what I can only describe as interference lines traveling up the screen diagonally from the bottom left and right corners. I could be reduce this by turning the sharpness control way down. This also lost most of the detail of course. The composite video was much less sharp and had a bad case of dot crawl around most horizontal lines. None of these artifacts are visible with my new player. I now have the Aiwa XD-AV370 and have no plans of returning it. The $65.00 extra paid for the Aiwa was well worth it.