AKG Acoustics K 240 DF On-Ear

K 240 DF

The K 240 DF follows the criteria specified by the Institute of Radio Technology (IRT) in Munich for a ""diffuse field"" equalization curve that provides headphone listeners with the sound pattern, characteristic of a room with reflective, non-anechoic surfaces. Each K 240 DF is rigorously tested to assure strict adherence to the IRT standards for frequency response, channel separation and sensitivity.

Sound engineer wanabee   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2016]

I hunted this model because of these curious DF specification. I was lucky to get one second-head really cheap. I read about harsh mediums and shallow bass, and that striked me at the first time I tried the K240 DF. It was hard and I nearly said "well, no" to the seller, but I was ready to get used to it.
I finally found why this sounded particularly medium... It is designed for bigger head than mine!!! It is just dumb as it is, the cans aren't well positioned for me and spill too much sound away. I have to force the position of the cans to their maximum so they don't fall from my ears. When it's done, then no problem of bass or whatever. I can swim in the sound.
Yes it does sound different than my other headset. Better or not, I can't say. When I have to work outside, I bring a Sennheiser HD25. At my desk, I mix through monitors and sometimes check through the K240DF, or vice-versa. The night is the best moment for me to use the DF.

AuralGasmic   AudioPhile [Jan 25, 2011]

AKG K 240DF: I bought them thirty years ago and it was not until yesterday that I actually heard them amplified to their full potential. What an astounding difference proper headphone amplification makes. The "MONITOR" section of my PEAVEY XR 600G powered mixer amp was designed by an engineer who knew what he was doing. I turned the gain all the way up and detected not the slightest hint of distortion. And yes, that volume level heard through just about any other headphones would sound absolutely horrible and would destroy most headphones in little time. Now I can hear the clear difference between all of the other headphones I've owned or listened to music through over the past thirty years. The K240DFs do exactly what they were designed and engineered to do-sound like pro recording studio reference monitors instead of headphones. -Bradley Hajost/Owner-SONIC Promotions & AuralGasmic Productions, SPI>SONIC Performance Instruments

Sean   AudioPhile [Aug 22, 2010]

I've had these for, geez- could it be 20 years?! These are not to be confused with the 240M which is very similar except for having too mucn midrange.

I bought these slightly used, and except for the little metal caps falling off they still work perfect; no bad connection in the cord/plug, earpads are still intact and soft, headband and everything else still fine.

The sound is so balanced that I find fault with every other headphone I've listened to with the exception of my Stax. And sometimes I even perfer them to the Stax; they sound just a little more natural.

So my advice is you have to try them - if you're lucky enough to find a paid.

Don   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 2009]

I have had the K240DF for over 20 years. I purchased them in the mid 1980's (don't remember exactly when or how much I paid). I love these headphones and I think that the reviews posted here are right on the money concerning the clarity and accurate music presentation. I use these headphones alot when I am fooling around with an electric guitar and amp.

Last night, the left channel stop working. After searching on the internet I found the wiring diagrams and exploded parts view on the AKG website. Using that documentation I was able to determine how to disassemble the unit and I discovered that the problem was a broken wire connection inside the left ear section (one with the cable connection). I was able to repair the broken wire and I now have my K240DF's back.

Would not think of owning another pair.

zappertje   AudioPhile [Mar 14, 2003]
Strength:

Mechanical strong. Good cable. High distinction between different sounds (you hear every instrument apart and also every fault in a recording)

For me, this is the oldest audio equipment which I still use (and my turntable of course), so the only weakness could be that the headphone is an investment for years and this may not be interesting for AKG, as they sell more when the lifetime is shorter ;-)

I bought the 240DF after listening to some other headphones. Long time ago. I use it frequently and it still serves, no broken cable. I was pleased by the disctiction that you can make between instruments, listening with this headphone. With others the sound is more fuzzy. A lack of bass is not true, it is just that other headphones have a coloured bass. Now I use it when editing audio recordings from live-performances of choirs and small classic groups. Also for restoration of audio (vinyl and tape to cd) this is the choice. You will hear every small scratch, noise and will be able to adjust your software to filter these. If you want just sit back and listen to easylistening music, you can better buy a cheaper one. But if you want to listen in a technical-critical way to music, this one is THE choice!

Similar Products Used: AKG DF 141, Sennheiser headphones (too much high and low)
Dan the DJ   AudioPhile [Aug 29, 2002]
Strength:

Comfortable for long Air-Shifts

Make sure your sound board-(Console), or Headphone amplifier source can "Push" these 600 X 2 Ohm Cans!

For clarity these Cans are great. The only problem is, make sure the Studio Console or Amp can "Push" them BEFORE you buy them. The Broadcast Console here at the Radio Station WILL NOT push them properly (good thing we're getting a new Board soon. On the otherhand, I'll take them home to my Studio, and pluging into my dedicated amp, they sound Great! With the exception of (as many have said) Serious lack of "Low-end". When you have a low "Announcer" voice, with voice-work to do, It's hard to judge the outcome of the bass in-voice until you "Playback".

Similar Products Used: AKG K-141 Headphones
Mick Brown   AudioPhile [Jun 07, 2002]
Strength:

All that you can ask for if you read your specifications and use as described.

Dumb people. More dumb people. Dumb people on roller blades.

Great headphones. When seeking reviews, I couldn't help but find some of these reviews about the headphones lacking bass, lacking this or that. Let me give you an analogy, before I proceed. If you buy a product that says, "uses 4 D Alkaline batteries" and then proceed to put 4 non-alkalines or perhaps try to rig it with AA's, then you're not going to get the performance you expect because you didn't follow factory specs and recommendations. Now, these are 600 ohm headphones. They're designed to be plugged into boards and powered equipment in the studio where high power and headroom is the standard, not a consumer choice. These are not designed as portable consumer audio gear, and the colorful picture in my mind of some of you rollerblading around with K240DF's on your head provokes a little giggle in me even though I largely feel contempt for your reviews. This is not an audiophile's headphone, in the customary definition of the term. This headphone has a single focus, as noted by the non-anechoic diffuse field specs referenced on the specs. Simply put, they're designed to allow the listener to monitor and mix music in a studio or recording environment where you don't have access or cannot/will not use nearfield monitors, or any other monitoring system, for that matter. If used in a good board, or a high-end dedicated amplifier designed to push 600 ohms or better (within reason), you can get incredibly accurate mixes without having to depend on monitors that would be subject to room dimensions, acoustics, etc. . . . A non-anechoic environment, as noted on the specs, actually is designed to provide optimum acoustics as you would hear when listening to music or source material in a desirable room with great acoustics. See the purpose now? Now get off those rollerblades before you hurt someone - that car horn might sound funny in a non-anechoic listening environment right before the car hits you. Geez. C'mon people.

Similar Products Used: Two english muffins held up to either ear. The nooks and crannies simulate an anechoic, perfectly sterile environment where you don't hear anything but the butter from the muffins dripping into your e
96khz   AudioPhile [Mar 17, 2002]
Strength:

Great quality and construction. Has lasted me years and still works great. Accurate studio reproduction from 20 to 20k.

Not for people who want to boost their bass to an unreasonable level.

I''ve used these for several years after spending a very lengthy amount of time comparing studio headphones. Although I used these for my recording studio and HiFi, I found the accuracy and frequency range very impressive. Hooked up to my H/K 8100 CD player, I''ve enjoyed evenly balanced and accurate reproduction of music. People have commented that they lack bass, but I disagree. They put out as much bass as they should (which is as the source intended). No distortion unless the bass freqs are boosted beyond a reasonable threshold. Some people are used to heavily boosted bass in their cars or home theater. This is not recommended for that. But if you want to hear everything as the producers of a CD had intended it. It''s the best.

Similar Products Used: Sennheisers, Sony''s and countless various professional and consumer brands and models.
Randy Leong   Audiophile [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

Comfortable
VERY accurate

A little thin on the bass
Not very well suited for portable use

Five months ago I bought a pair of these AKG K240DF Studio-Monitor headphones (What? AudioREVIEW's listing had no entry for the K240DF at the time of my purchase) - and I've never been more satisfied with any headphone purchase than these (sure, some headphones have equalled my excitement over the K240DF's, but never exceeded that excitement). They sound very clear, accurate and detailed - which makes them suitable for a wide range of music types (well, some of my other headphones do sound better for some specific types of music, but none of them are as "universal" than these K240DF's).

However, there are two drawbacks: First, their 600-ohm impedance makes them not very well suited for use with today's portable audio gear - but because they're fairly efficient for their high impedance rating, my current portable CD players (a Sony D-EJ721 and a Panasonic SL-CT470) can actually produce sound that's loud enough for listening in a quiet room (but forget about using these headphones for portable use in a noisier environment - they're only semi-closed, and thus blocks out little external noise). By that same token, even a mediocre consumer-grade home stereo or home-theater receiver can easily power these headphones. Second, these K240DF's are a little thin on the bass, but that's worrysome only to those who like boomy, muddy, uncontrolled bass. The Sonys, though the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 headphones are very good fully-closed headphones for their price, they simply can't compete with these AKG's; the MDR-V900's and especially the MDR-V600's are crappy-sounding for their price (what the f*** is going on with their boomy upper bass and lower mids with little if any real low-bass extension, recessed upper mids and grainy treble - and all sorts of plasticky, honky resonances to boot?).

Overall, the AKG K240DF's are one of the very best headphones that I've ever owned, alongside my Sennheiser HD 590's (but they're in a completely different class than these studio monitors). I wish I would have paid slightly less than what I did pay for them, which lowers my value rating slightly.