Aiwa HP-CN5 Open Air Noise Canceling Headphones

HP-CN5 Open Air

- Noise Canceling.
- 70% Noise Reduction.
- 38mm Driver Units.
- Convenient Folding Design.
- Carrying Pouch.

stevezzzz   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 25, 2002]
Strength:

Works as advertised to cancel low frequency noise; reasonable price; good battery life; lightweight folding design makes packing easy; decent audio characteristics for music listening.

Uncomfortable to wear for extended periods; I put a piece of moleskin on the inside of the headband's folding pivot to make it somewhat more tolerable.

I use these both at the office and when flying on the airlines. They do a very good job cancelling ambient low frequency noise; my office environment has a lot of HVAC fan noise, and it can get tiring. The noise cancelling effect may seem subtle at first, but the more you use it the more you appreciate what you do hear (music or the inflight movie soundtrack, without having to jack up the volume) and what you don't (the dull roar of HVAC fans and airframe wind noise).

Similar Products Used: I have two pairs of expensive, heavy, over-the-ear noise cancelling headsets for use when flying small planes, where the noise level is extreme and noise cancelling headsets have become almost require
Craig   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 23, 2002]
Strength:

Good Fold up design Single cord good battery placement

Can get tight feeling after a while. Wish it blocked certain frequencies better

As a frequent business traveler, I've been using Noise cancelling headphones for the past couple of years. The Aiwas are a good value. They fit fairly comfortably, but can get tiring after long hours. They do a fiarly good job on cancelling out low frequency sounds such as airplane engines, AC units etc... Anyone expecting them to give total silence is looking at the wrong headphones. They are designed to block certain frequecies.

Similar Products Used: Sony MRD-NC5 Noise Cancelling headphones Maxell Noise buster Brookstone Noise cancelling headphones
dchart   Casual Listener [Aug 27, 2002]
Strength:

Great sound quality. Excellent noise reduction capability. Nice bass response

Not particularly comfortable

I fly weekly and have finally found a way to drown out the sound of the plane and enjoy some music. I would not use these headphones for casual listening. They just aren't that comfortable. However, in an environment full of low frequency noise where I only wear them for a couple of hours, they can't be beat. The musically quality is excellent and the noise reduction aspect is more than just a novelty. I highly recommend these headphones for travellers. PS - The noise reduction does not work with a damn on voices or high frequency noises. Don't expect to put them on in an office and hear silence. Also, in quiet situations the white noise can get on your nerves.

Similar Products Used: None
luft   AudioPhile [Aug 17, 2002]
Strength:

maybe it wouldn't be comfortable enough for everybody

excellent sound! the noise cancelling is cool, but unusual but the sound is really great, the bass is heavy

Similar Products Used: Sony MDR-Q33 Sony MDR-CD380 Technics RP-F500 Aiwa X-225 SONY MDR-E827G Koss The Plug Koss Sporta Pro
Alec   AudioPhile [Apr 24, 2002]
Strength:

Good overall sound quality. Noise cancelling quality is very good for low frequencies only, planes, cars, trains etc.

It works well for cancelling low frequency but does nothing to cancel high frequencies (As describes on packaging). Poor durablity for my 2000 model is a main concern.

I would have given it a higher recommendation if they were more durable. My 2000 model experience fracture cracks in the headpiece within about a month. Overall noise cancelling qualities are excellent for it''s price compared to Bose.

steve   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Noise cancelling for cheap.

Open air design hurts ears after a while.

I bought these as an affordable alternative to the much nicer Bose headphones. I have used these several times on long flights (NJ to CA and Tokyo) and have found them very good for noise cancelling. If you read the documentation the noise cancelling effect is only designed to remove the low frequency sound, which is really quite a lot of the noise in a plane. The noise cancelling is much less noticeable in less noisy environments (e.g. office) and may not filter any of the high frequency noise like mouse clicks, typing, etc. I have found the open air design to eventually make my ears hurt, so I tend to take a rest from them after a few hours. The Bose design is much more comfortable for long wearing times, but you need to spend $300. I was worried that the cheap appearing plastic design would break easily, but after more than a year and several trips, they have held up well. I think the sound quality is perfectly fine for using in a noisy environment, but I am not one to argue the fine points of sound quality.

Similar Products Used: Tried a friends Bose noise cancelling headphones.
john00john   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 16, 2002]
Strength:

Price, noise cancelling

White noise hiss noticable in low background noise environments.

I wouldn''t use them at home but they''re GREAT when flying, on the bus, in a car, or where ever there is a constant low freq noise. I literally won''t fly without them (though I wish I could afford a better wrap around model).

Similar Products Used: Boise was great but too expensive. I could only borrow them occassionally.
Brian Sage   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 15, 2002]
Strength:

Decent for use as a set of headphones

Uncomfortable, noise cancelation effect sucks

Is it just my opinion, or does it seem like you can't buy anything decent for less than $100? These headphones retail for $50.00 in Best buy, and I wouldn't call them a good deal, even at $25.00.

I work in an office, and the noise cancellation effect will drown out the mouse clicks of the person in the next cubicle, but that's all. In fact, the white noise hiss that is produced is louder (and more constant) than any noise the headphones cancel out. I've found the effect gives me a headache after 10 minutes of use with the effect turned on—not because of the white noise, but maybe because of what frequencies it uses to cancel the ambient noises.

It's not like I remember "prices back in my day," and I'm not cheap--in fact, my tastes are usually quite expensive. Just ask my wife ;) These are simply a decent-quality pair of headphones with a switch to control the hissing effect they call "noise cancellation", and that's it. Better to try another product and save yourself the hassle of returning these.