Sony MDR CD380 Headphones

Sony MDR CD380 Headphones

DESCRIPTION

- High quality closed-front open-back headphones create a wide and open sound stage and are ideal for use with all digital sound sources, from Sony Walkman personal stereo players to Hi-Fi stereo components.
- 40mm drivers are larger than most headphones for deeper bass, lower distortion and wider dynamic range; frequency response extends down to a low 10Hz.
- Aura-Nomic design and virtual shaft mechanism in the headphone housing positions the earpads in accord with angle of the head, for a stable and comfortable fit.
- Wide frequency response 10Hz-25kHz spans frequencies above the entire audible sound spectrum.
- Self-Adjusting Headband for a customized fit and increased comfort.
- High power Neodymium magnet for maximum energy with minimum size; ounce for ounce, Neodymium is far more powerful than conventional Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets.
- Gold plated stereo mini plug supplied for exceptional corrosion resistance, superb conductivity, low noise.

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 03, 2017]
Abhishek Kumar
Casual Listener

To start with I don't even remember which year I bought these pairs, it must have been 2004-2006. I have never come across headphones of this quality ever. It is very difficult to describe this feeling as I have bought many and they came and go, mostly due to technical faults. This one from Sony kept on going and still going strong, it is very difficult to describe in words

[Sep 13, 2012]
ROOMBAZOOM

Woow !
These are truky incredible headphones regarding soundstage and musicality.
Far way better than some high-end monitor headphones.
If you have one to sell, just ask meand I would buy it.
A great surprise. You will rapidly forget the little "creaky" headband and choose to bring it alone on a desert island to profit from M U S I C , for R E A L.
I truly love them.
I tried mdr-V6, V7, 7506, mdr-cd480, mdr-cd770, and mdr-d777, I just prefer MDR-CD380.
Comfort is great, and music is awfully realistic !!!
Double Woow !

[Feb 14, 2009]
TheMG
Audio Enthusiast

Great sounding headphones and extremely comfortable at a reasonable price. Downsides it does not isolate sound and is not very portable, but overall still an excellent set of headphones for home audio listening.

[Oct 01, 2003]
CP
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good for portable with good detail and depth. Very comfortable.

slightly wolly bass

Pretty good headphone for the money. The most important thing about this headphone is the combination low impedence and good quality sound making it suitable for portables that usually have lower output power. The sound can be described as warm and open with very good detail and depth (more than my old Sony MDR-P3). Being an open back design and it does let it (and out!) a bit of noise/sound but it's very comfortable to wear. At times it can seem a bit soft with plenty of bass, though slightly wolly bass. In some way I still prefer my 10 year old Sony MDR-P3, being a closed back design and hence is more discrete. It has a more immediate and clear sound though slightly flat soundstage compared to this CD380. On the whole I find the AKG 100 has the best combination of detail and bass but not sure if it's suitable for my portable. The SR-80 on the other hand is expensive and look slightly out-dated though with very good sound (haven't compared directly with AKG). Still I'd say the MDR-CD380 is highly recommended. 4 star for being good value for money and 3 star for performance in absolute term.

Sony MDR-P3, AKG 100, Grado SR-80

[Aug 25, 2003]
Pesho Quake
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

These are maafackaaa!

The worst thing i can think of is: the cable is too long.

First of all, forgive my poor english. I will try to be laconic so i will use just 3 words: These are maafackaaaaa! For those who don't know what this means I will use a word per property: Bass: ILLIMITABLE Middle: attendanceness Treble: crystalline Comfort: subtleness

Similar Products Used:

Many other closed and opened headphones

[Jun 09, 2003]
Joe
Audio Enthusiast

LOUD. Good sound, deep bass but nothing revelation like. Not worth the price. The open air design sucks. Its loud and bleeds in outside noise. Furthermore, the lack of an on cord volume control is a real pain. Worst of all, the automaticly adjusting headband creaks loudly in your ears while moving your head any faster than a gentle sway. Its enough to drive you bat-ship. I regret that I bought this hunk of crap. I would recommend the studio monitor line instead.

[Jun 07, 2003]
herc
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound, Comfortable

None!!

I was looking for something not to pricey with good sound and after a lot of research and reviews I have chosen the MDR-CD380... & I am very satisfied. Good sturdy base, crystal clear treble.... overall a very full sound and a great tonal balance. I have tested them on different systems and it's clear that they can produce whatever you feed them. I enjoy them so much I keep thinking what the bigger brothers would sound like. Lastly: Light & COMFORTABLE!

Similar Products Used:

Phillips hifi- and Sony street style phones. Some others, a long time ago.

[Jan 04, 2003]
Rick
AudioPhile

Strength:

Great bass. Comfortable.

A bit clunky, not very portable.

These headphones sound great. The bass is full and satisfying, unlike alot of other high end headphones that are weak at lower frequencies. These headphones are also easily driven and can sound great without a headphone amp, which makes it great for cd players or for your computer. I also find the circumaural design to be very comfortable.

Sony MDR V500DJ

[Jan 01, 2003]
Bill
AudioPhile

Strength:

Comfortable, nothing else good to say about them. I can see how this type of headphone would appeal to what goes for music these days; the "booming bass" laden trash passed off as music.

They lack any clarity and the highs are muffled along with too much emphasis in the bass area. Muddy is how these sound.

I listened to several different types of music from Pink Floyd to traditional Chinese instruments to blues.

[Sep 17, 2002]
raginboston
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Bass, bass, bass. Long chord can be a mixed blessing, but it's better than too short!

Pretty big earphones.....got the Princess Leia thing going on. I have a small head, so that might be why they don't fit too well. I do wish they were a little smaller, so they don't look as huge on my head.

A long time trance/techno fan, I was intent on getting a set of headphones that could handle the strong bass. Researching Grado, Sennheiser and Sony, I settled on the CD380's because of the 40 mm drivers and the VERY wide range (10 - 25K).....if you're looking for a clear, crisp treble that can meet the bass halfway, you may want to spend a little more. In my opinion, these headphones are meant to make the earth shake, and not to hear the trickle of water on one of those relaxation CD's. The sound quality overall, especially for the price, is superb. Whether discman or home theater, the purity of the sound can't be matched. What astounded me the most was the FULLNESS of it....because the earpieces go entirely over your ear, you don't miss a thing. Again, the price was very reasonable, considering the quality and potential....your CD will quit before these headphones do.