DCS Elgar plus DACs

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 20, 2007]
    Jeff Wang
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Best DAC I have ever heard

pricy

I bought the Elgar+ in mid 2003. Starting from May last year, the unit started to act up - unable to lock into the DSD mode. I had the unit and the Verdi sent back to the dealer several times. Both the dealer and the factory did not seem to know what is wrong with the Elgar+. I know at least another Elgar owner is having the same problem. It is quite a disappointment after paying an arm and a leg for such a highly acclaimed component. Is there any other Elgar owner who had experience similar problem? How did you fix the problem?

Similar Products Used:

Krell

OVERALL
    [May 27, 2005]
    Cincy2
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sweet sound reproduction

The volume control is in 0.5db increments. I would have liked 0.1. This is the only thing I can think of that is negative about this equipment. It costs a small fortune but delivers leading edge performance for what you pay

I can't comment on the technical marvels of the Elgar Plus DAC. You need a PhD in electrical engineering to understand the details. What I can say is that this box produces the most lifelike sound I have ever heard from a stereo system. The "blat" of the horns, the ringing of a triangle, the crisp thump of a bass, it's all there. I found the overall sound unbelievably detailed and transparent throughout the entire frequency range. The mid range sweetness (not euponic sweetness like tubes) causes my jaw to drop on well recorded material. Put a Chesky or Mapleshade disk in a dCS system and you will never be the same. This is a sturdily built, attractive electronic marvel.

Similar Products Used: