Philips CDR-765 CD Recorders/Players

CDR-765

Dual Deck Audio CD-Recorder

Greg   Audio Enthusiast [May 22, 2016]

A lovely gadget. I've used it more many years mostly with home recording demos.
My problem is I can't seem to find rewritable music CD (CD-RW) that will work.
I used to use Maxell CD-RW music 74min but I don't believe they are made now. I tried Maxell CD-RW XL-80 music CD's but they will not work in this model.
Can someone steer me to where I might be able to locate CD rewritable discs that will work?

alberto de zubiria   Casual Listener [Apr 30, 2007]

We bought 3 CD players in my family of the series CDR 765 and all of them are out of order for recording and we have been told there is not a way to fix them up....

Customer Service

I wrote to the customer service of philips and they put us a a waiting list but they finnaly never answered to me...

Cactus Music   AudioPhile [Feb 24, 2005]
Strength:

Very reliable, perfect recordings, digital ins and outs. Can be split for DJ work.

Record level control. copy protection. space between live recordings.

I bought the 765 back when CD burners for a PC were not a option.Professional decks stated at $1500. I don't think I'd pay 800 bucks now but looking back it's paid for itself over and over.I make a living recording and this deck is an important tool. THe copy protection is a pain but Theres a chip you can buy to fix that http://www.modchip.it/shop/net-shop.asp?lng=EN&px=idcategoria&dx=NCD it's $ 20 I use the machine for live recordings and mastering songs in my small studio. It has always performed as would be expected for a consummer deck. I even have done DJ work with it but it is a slow loader. I use CDRW's for my masters then I just load them into the PC and use Wave Lab to edit. The only minor problem was a tray was out of wack and I had to take the top off and push it back in palce..THe screws are very weird. I use both the digital and analog ins and outs and all have worked fine. The sound quality is great.I agree the rec. level option is limited but I always use a mixing board so not a problem for me.

jackz4000   Casual Listener [Nov 25, 2003]
Strength:

Very simple to operate. Very stable and no problems

Originally the CD door would not open. Repaired under warranty by Phillips. No problems since.

All in all a good performing unit at a great price. Its 3 years old now and I have only encountered 1 problem. After I had it for a few weeks the Play CD door would not open...I would only hear a whinning noise when I pressed the button to open the door. Sent it to Phillips and problem quickly repaired. No problems since then. A simple machine which records your CD's from Cd or various other sources, digital or analog. Very easy to operate. Not alot of extra bells and whistles which I don't need...just a user friendly Cd Player/Recorder. Overall, just a great bargin and consistently stable machine.

Similar Products Used: Computer CD.
bunty   AudioPhile [Mar 07, 2003]
Strength:

i got it cheap!

it's black(racism)

this is to all the people around. the philips is good, maybe even very good. but all i can say is you have to decide

Similar Products Used: your mum
LarryG   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Easy to operate. Excellent sound quality. Very reliable.

Not a lot of bells and whistles found on higher end equipment.

Great recorder for the money.

hans   Casual Listener [Sep 11, 2001]

The CDR-765 has too many weak points to be a succesfull machine:
1. In the first second of each new trach that is copied I hear a disturbing echo.
2. If the cd is fully copied with 74' 30" of music the machine is not able to finalize
3. CD's copied on the CDR-765 make a rattling noise in the cd-drive of other cd-players while the last few tracks won't be played.

wally choice   an Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 1998]

1 salesman out of 7-8 knew it required special CD's (digital audio) and NOT el cheapo $1.50 CD-Rs like you use in a computer. User's Guide could have been MUCH more detailed, as it leads to some confusion and is, in parts, not accurate. You have to play around with a $30 re-writable cd to get the hang of things, otherwise you'll be making mistakes you cannot correct on the CD-Rs. So far I haven't been able to figure out the hookups for making analog recordings (the real reason I bought the thing- to record tracks from lps and tapes), but since a friend was able to do it, I guess I will. I think it fried my tape deck when I played a tape and the Philips unit at the same time- instead of only playing the source I selected, all of a sudden my receiver was playing BOTH my tape deck AND the Philips. Now my tape deck sounds like shit! BE CAREFUL WHEN PLAYING AROUND WITH THIS SUCKER 'TIL YOU GET ALL THE BUGS OUT AND GET YOUR ROUTINE DOWN PAT. Take care. Wally.

Ian Mitchell   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 04, 1999]

The audion quality of these machines in undoubtedly superb. however the firmware and reliablity is so far, in my experience VERY dissapointing.
I rouined a dozen or so discs before I realized my 870 was actually faulty, Philips denied that till I proved it!.

So I swapped it for a 765.. The first one sufferddform intermitent playback errors on the playback deck. The second one wont play certain purchased CDs (Eric Clapton Pilgrim, Bon Jovi These Days) until the machine is warm. The Recorder deck is also getting noisier, sounds like a rubbing noise from within the casing.

I'm just about to swap again.. third time lucky, I do hope so. All I want is a machine that actually works, and for philips to be mer consumer freindly, I've spent too many hours 'on hold' on the helplines!!

Andy Blount   an Audio Enthusiast [Dec 27, 1998]

I got one of these machines a week ago, by pure chance. Now I didnt go out and buy one but swapped it off of a friend who wanted to use it with his midi system ;-)
Anyway the UK pack came with 1 Re-Writeable CD and 4 Writeables...But these must be proper audio ones. Not the PC/PSX ones...

Sound quality is superb. Far better than either my NAD or my Denon.

Only problems I have found so far are: -

1, No Disk-at-Once facility if trying to do a live concert to CD you will always get a 4 second gap between the tracks.

2, Availability of blank cd's not easy to find at the moment..

All in all though of a Shop price of between £400-£450 its well worth the money.