Yamaha CDC-775 CD Players

CDC-775

5 Disc CD Player

juris   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Sounds better than quite a number of other cd players. Probably ok for up to $1000 speaker systems.

Durability (my lasted just 3 years). General tendency of skipping. Above mentioned two particular kinds of distortion. Still far from high quality cd playback (but what you can expect for $300 changer).

There has been no reviews since I posted the last one a year ago, which means that this player probably have already been gone in history. Still, I am adding some comments after my unit has practically died after 3 years of quite a heavy (but respectful) use. As I said, the unit has practically died after 3 years. The process was gradual, the main feature being a large increase in tendency to skip tracks. The player had above average skipping tendency already from the very beginning, however the process started to become independent of cd's quality. Another feature was that it started to open disc tray at its own decision (not often, but it happened). And finaly it ended up by refusing (at times of its own decision) to play discs at all. However, probably of greater interest may be some observations about sound quality. As I already said in previous review, it sounded better than my previous cd changer. And afterwards I have heard a number cd players which sound considerably worse. At the same time, now I know that it also can not compare with real high-end players. Besides, the player tends to have two particular kinds of distortions: 1) sometimes you hear a strange "echoes", i.e., part of the sound tends to be spatially displaced from the main source. Actually I was convinced that this is a problem with poor recordings, however the problem dissapeared after the player upgrade. I guess it has something to do with channel separation. The problem did not manifested itself too often and apparently was associated with the content of recording. 2) some cd's were sounding generally bad (e.g. Mozarts Requiem, directed by Bernstein, Deutsche Gramophone edition). Also I had assumed that this is a recording problem, which turned out not to be the case. I have noticed this problem only on very few cds and it is interesting that it was noticeable throughout the whole cds - just a guess that it might be connected with some manufacturing or mastering peculiarities of the particular cds. Still, it is probably more easy to live with the above mentioned distortions (which you do not notice too often), than with a player which just sound generally bad. Besides that, I noticed these distortions only after a considerable speaker upgrade, thus these might be unnoticable in systems in which this player typically will be used. As an afterthought, I guess that I would not had chosen this player, if I have had this experience. Still I do not regret too much that I had it, and probably the player was not such a bad choice for a "quick buy".

juris   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 19, 2002]
Strength:

Sound quality. Convenient disc change mechanism. Plays CD-RW disks.

May have problems with damaged and with some recorded CDs. Some important buttons (Random, Time, etc.) are just on remote (and, likewise you cannot select CD by its number on remote, you have just SkipDisc). The "randomness" of random play mode is not particularly convincing.

I went for it on the basis of quite positive reviews and so far feel quite satisfied with it. The sound is noticeably cleaner and more musical compared to my old Kenwood CD changer - I tried to play the same recording and switch between the two, so I am quite sure about this (but one have to listen to quite a long bits in a row to appreciate the difference, otherwise the sound of Kenwood may feel just "richer", which may appear as an advantage). However I never have had a really high-end CD player, thus I do not know how CDC-775 may compare with these. In general it plays CD-R and also CD-RW discs; I had problems with 80-min Boerder discs (the player lost the track when I tried to use fast forward button or just change the track), then I switched to Sony discs and had no problems with these. Still it may skip/lose the tracks on somewhat damaged CDs and refuses to play CD-Rs that are not correctly recorded (but are playable with some other players). However I never had problems with purchased new CDs. It also supports CD-text feature - however so far I have only one CD that has it.

Similar Products Used: Kenwood
Lea   Casual Listener [Jan 28, 2000]
Strength:

Great sound, great looks

Doesn't seemingly perform well with CD-Rs

I got this unit as a gift from a friend, and eagerly installed it as part of my home theater system. I put in a favorite CD (a CD-R compilation that another friend gave me), and it played fine until it reached Track 15, which was when it started acting strange. It works perfectly well with commercially produced discs. Weird...it might be just my unit...please tell me if this has happened to you too.

Because of this (hey, some of us may have burned choice tracks on CD-R and would love to hear them over and over again on a unit like this), I'll have to give a less than super-stellar rating...but over-all, it's a great player.

Ian   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 25, 2000]
Strength:

Play Exchange

First off, I don't know anything about DAC's. I do know that I wanted a CD changer to sync with my Yamaha MD player. I replaced an older Sony model which I never had a problem with.

This changer offers me everything I was looking for, and I believe it even sounds better than my Sony. I love the play exchange feature, and recording to MD is a whole lot easier now. The remote is just there....not bad, but not great. The controls have dimming capabilities which is nice when relaxing in the evening.

Nice player for the money

Similar Products Used: Sony
Mark H.   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 2000]
Strength:

Clarity

Remote, Soundstage

I bought this CD changer from AudioExcellence.com for $265 plus $20 S/H. I also purchased the Sennheiser 580/DSP Pro for $199, although from a different dealer. The 775 arrived double-boxed with more peanuts than a Barnum and Bailey circus. While I agree with previous comments that the soundstage can be a bit shallow, this is the PERFECT CD changer if you listen to "light" rock bands such as Steely Dan (I highly recommend the box set, "Citizen Steely Dan"). If you listen to speed metal, heavy metal, or really intricate/complicated guitar passages, you may not be happy. However, if you like a laid-back sound, this may be the best value on the planet. I am very happy with the combination I have, and recommend it to those apartment dwellers who like to listen to music but do not wantto disturb their neighbors or tip them off that you have decent stereo components. The only real weakness is the remote, which does not have on/off capabilities and has small buttons. The manual says something about not shutting down the player suddenly, but that is no reason to stop listeners from turning it on "suddenly." Nonetheless, an excellent player from Yamaha because of its value. This CD changer vents through the bottom, so you do not want to stack it directly on top of other components, particularly those that ventilate through the top.

David Adams   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 08, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent, accurate detail and sound staging, solid construction, can change all four non-playing CDs at once.

None seen yet.

I've recently been upgrading my audio/video setup, beginning with a Sony S550D DVD player. While that unit does very well with CDs, especially compared to my previous Aiwa mini-system (not a surprise), I wanted a separate CD changer, as I spend most of my time listening to music, anyway. At the store, I auditioned both mid-level and top-level Denon players, as well as the Yamaha CDC-775, which was the least expensive of the three, at $100 less than the mid-level Denon. It quickly became a contest between the Yamaha and the top-level Denon changer, surprisingly enough. I spent some time trying to hear a "$300 difference," and some reason why I should pay more for the Denon. Admittedly, the Denon sounded superb, but so did the Yamaha. It was easy to choose the latter, especially when I couldn't hear a significant difference between them.

The next interesting comparison was between the Yamaha and the Sony DVD player. This became much more apparent after upgrading to Vienna Acoustics Haydn bookshelf speakers (highly recommended, BTW). The Sony player does well enough, but compared with the Yamaha, it doesn't bring out the fullness of lower mid-range and bass frequencies, which are essential for tough-to-reproduce sounds such as female voices, violins, and pianos. Compared to the rich realism of the Yamaha, the Sony sounds a bit too bright. When I fed both players some jazz or mean Irish fiddling, both featuring many distict instruments on the soundstage, the Sony stumbled, blurring the instrumental separation, whereas the Yamaha was crisp and focused. These distinctions are not as apparent, of course, on older recordings which lack full dynamic range and detail, but even here, the Yamaha's sound is more "honest."

Though I still have a just-adequate Sony 435 AV receiver, the Yamaha CDC-775 combined with the Haydns often produces those magical moments of transparency when I find myself forgetting I'm listening through speakers, and instruments are suddenly, vividly right in front of me. Then, there is almost nothing between me and the music -- which is just the way it should be.

Michael Brewer   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 15, 2000]
Strength:

Yamaha sound

Remote

I wanted to upgrade from the Sony unit to a 5 disc unit and looked at Audioreview for Hall of Fame units. I bought the Yamaha based on other reviews and the fact that I have been a Yamaha fan now for 25 years. The unit does not disappoint. It "seems" more solid than many I looked at in stores. The tray operates silently, and I like the exchange disc feature that allows the current disc to remain playing while new ones are added.

I use the optical output to my RXV 665 home theatre receiver and the sound is phenominal. Especially when switching between RCA output and optical.

Similar Products Used: Sony single disc player
AL Butler   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 23, 2000]
Strength:

Absolute clarity and smooth natural sound.

Nothing major.

I only had this CD player only 4 days and I'm absolutely pleased by the way it sounds. The voices and instruments are so sweet and natural that I can't believe it. I have even attributed some of my previous sonic problems to my amplifiers; however, with the addition of this CD player the entire system sounds so good. I recently auditioned a Sony CDP-CA9ES which list for twice as much that does not even compare to this player!

I do have some very picky minor problems:
#1
The variable loudness control needs more resolution.
The lowest level is too loud. Since I'm directly driving my power amps from the CD player this is important. Especially to my neighbors at night. :-)

#2
The size of the player is not the standard rack mount size and needs more room to fit into my cabinet.

#3
The remote is flimsy. I should just go ahead and order a replacement right now since I plan to keep this for a long time.

That's it. Just 3 very very picky issues.

My current system is:

Yamaha CDC-775 (Of course)
(2)Onkyo M-504's (bi-amped to the BP-2002's highs and mids)
Definitive Technology BP-2002
Yamaha M-4 power amp
B&W DM602 series 2

Note: Again. I have no pre-amp but I have a Yamaha TX-950 tuner I don't use.

I highly recommend this system.

Similar Products Used: Sony CDP-CA9ES
Adrian   Casual Listener [Feb 06, 2000]
Strength:

Sound clarity, definition. Feature packed, build quality and price.

Flimsy remote. A jog dial would be nice.

I've had this component connected to my Yamaha stereo receiver for over a week playing continously.
All I can say it's sounding better and better. I'm playing all my old CDs and now hearing things I've never heard before, especially at the end of the tracks when it begins to fade out, I can still here detail right upto before the next track is played. I've listened to Denon's CD player range, whilst very good, I do like their DCD-755AR single disc model and have read other reviewers stating they had some problems with their muti-cd players. But for their prices, I couldn't go past the Yamaha when it came down to the best performance and value for my money.
The build quality is excellent but the supplied remote felt quite flimsy. I only wished they had a differently shaped remote because my Yamaha RX-596's remote has the same shape and sometimes would accidently use the wrong remote and call some other unintended function!
However, I would like to see a jog dial on the front panel, which a few other brands are now starting to introduce into their CD players (ie.Denon). And this would remove all the track slection buttons, that clutter up half the front panel.
I highly recommend anyone considering a CD player to audition this fine piece of affordable equipment.
5 stars all round.

michael   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

construction, ease of use, sound

on board functions

Just purchased this unit. Sound is excellent, easy quiet transitions during random play. Smooth natural sound. Women's vocals sound so clear. Really picks up the nuances of the recordings. I've heard things I've never heard before. Teamed with a Sherwood Newcastle 925 and Wharfedale Modus 8 speakers. Purchased from Audio Excellence $265 plus $20 dollars S/H and insurance.

Only complaint is I wish there was a random play and disc mode button on the machine. Oh well hope I never lose the remote.