Technics SL-PD5 CD Players

SL-PD5

cd player

Andy Kim   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

Can remove and replace CD's while a CD is playing;
Remote ready

Doesn't come with a remote (SL-PD8 does though) but is remote ready

I have a Technics receiver (SA-AX730) so I can use my remote to control the CD player but the power can't be turned on and off via the remote so I have to do that manually.
I've had it for 6 months now and I've never had a problem. It works and sounds well enough for me.
It has a digital out but I'm using the normal RCA analog output hooked upto my receiver.
It has pretty much all you could want in a CD player and it goes for a great price.

Wayne Bard   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 01, 2000]
Strength:

An excelent all around cd-player, and a very cheap price

None noted

I really like this product and for the price it has great performance. The sound is very smooth and life like. I would recommend that the digital output be used for the best results.

Similar Products Used: Aiwa 3 cd changer
ALEX QUINONES   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 25, 2000]
Strength:

IS A GREAT CD PLAYER WITH DIGITAL OPTICAL OUTPUT AND MASH

NO REMOTE BUT IF YOU HAVE A TECHNICS RECIVER YOU CAN USE THE REMOTE WITH THE CD PLAYER

THE TECHNICS SL-PD5 IS A GOOD CD PLAYER WITH A GOOD PRICE TAG FOR 119.99 AT CIRCUIT CITY THE CD PLAYER IS LOAD IT WITH DIGITAL OPTICAL OUTPUT AND MASH IS NOT BAD AT ALL IF YOU LOOKING FOR A AFFORTABLE CD PLAYER WITH GOOD QUALITY SOUND DOES NOT SKIPS AND WITH MASH AND AND DIGITAL LASER OPTICAL IS THAT ANY BETTER THEN THAT IS REAL LIFE SOUND IT MAKE OTHER CD PLAYER LOOK DOME AND STUPID NEXT TO MASH TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL OPTICAL OUPUT AND IF YOU HAVE A PANASONIC OR TECHNICS RECIVER YOU CAN CONTROL THE CD PLAYER WITH THE RECIVERS REMOTE CONTROL IS A NICE BASIC CD FOR HOME USE AND IS NOT BAD FOR THE PRICE OS IF YOU LOOKING TO SPEND ABOUT 120 DOLLARS THE TECHNICS SL -PD5 CD PLAYER IS A GOOD CHOICE...

Similar Products Used: KENWOOD RCA AND SONY
RICHARD BERGMANN   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

Very easy to use - no real need for the instruction book.

A very minor weakness is that it does not interface with other Technics tape recorders

Perfect for the person who does not want to spend hours programming info into their CD player. Just plug in, put in the disks and play. Has been very dependable and flawless. It was a terrific deal at $99.

Similar Products Used: Any 5 disk player
Jorge Luna   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 30, 2000]
Strength:

easy to use, great overall sound, excellent value

at this price range - none

I love this machine! I was using my Pioneer DV-414 to play my cds but it sounded somewhat bright and thin on normal two-channel playback. Technics has produced a real winner in this player. The sound is natural and well-defined and has never come across as too bright or too harsh. I listen to a variety of music ranging from Metallica to Mozart and everything in between and each style of music has been reproduced exactly how it was intended to be enjoyed. You would be hard-pressed to find a more capable cd player at this price. I highly recommend this player.
My home theater system equipment:

Technics SL-PD5 cd player
Pioneer DV-414 dvd player
Pioneer CT-W205R dual cassette deck
Pioneer PL-990 turntable
Pioneer VSX-D307 a/v receiver
Polk Audio RT55's-front, CS-245-center
Sony SS-U3033 - surround
Monster Original, Interlink 100, Esoteric Audio, and Prism Klara Speaker Cable by Tara Labs

Similar Products Used: Pioneer, PMG
Scott Apte   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

great entry level CD player, especially the digital out that I had trouble finding on an affordable CD player

unnecessary keypad on the face but kind of fun.

I NEEDED to replace my old Sony CD changer and so I looked around at Best Buy and found exactly what I was looking for. An affordable CD player with fast exchange (much more convenient than you would imagine) and a digital output for my mini-disc player/recorder. The keypad on the front (to type in discs and tracks) is kind of useless (although it does make programming easier), but Technics seems to put weird stuff like that on their components. A great purchase.

Similar Products Used: Sony CDP-C305
Christopher   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 30, 1999]
Strength:

Speedy random play, ability to swap 4 of the 5 discs while the fifth one plays on

a little noisy while loading discs

overall I am impressed with the unit. Lets face it...it is a n entry level player so don't expect the world, but, for around $179 cnd funds (or $1.50 american haha) I think you would be hard pressed to find a better palyer. The sound is very nice, full and not harsh in the least. It is a bit noisy when loading/and or during/shuffle play, but this is not a big problem. It dosent come with a remote but it is remote compatiable and I was able to get my tv remote (one of those oneforall units) to control almost every function..so this was a bonus. It has a optical out but no coax digital out but since I will probably never use it I dont care. I also like the ability to use delete mode programing. This allows you to simply tell the player to delete those few songs you dont want to hear instead of having to program in the 12 (or whatever) songs you do want to hear...a handy feature. overall I would say that for the price it is a five out of five. I cannot comment on reliablity because I just purchased the unti last weel.

Dan   Audiophile [Aug 14, 2001]
Strength:

8X oversampling, optical output

No remote, and I can't change discs with my universal

Never skipped once, I use an optical cable to connect it to my Yamaha receiver.

My Yamaha remote only lets me skip tracks, seek, play, pause and stop so if you want to change CD's I have to press the buttons on the unit.

Perfect quality and there is no background noise.

Kyle M   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 11, 2001]
Strength:

Low Cost, Nice looks Good Sound

NONE

This is a very nice CD player if you are or aren't on a budget. Pay no attention to anybody that says the lights are annoying, they're SWWEEETTT!!!
When I got it I thought it might skip BUT I haven't been able to skip it ONE SINGLE Time yet.

Weighs hardly anything but is a very good CD player. (Using analog cable)

I'm using my new TECHNICS Reciever, Costomly made 8 inch speakers, Combined with KLH Surrounds, and a jery rigged subwoofer 12 inch which I am planning to upgrade to a 15 in.

David Achilli   Audiophile [Dec 13, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent Display. Good Sound, Quick Disc Access.

Repeat fuction is lame. No ability to select one or all. Disc skip button is in an awkward place on panel.

This is an excellent unit to add CD capability to the Home Theater room. It has decent sound, a clear, logical display and super quick disc access. Available at Circuit City frequently for $99. No remote included, but will work fine with almost any universal remote. As noted above the repeat function is lacking, it is either on or off. Also, the disc skip button is an awkward position for changing discs when the tray is open, this may seem trivial, but it really is a pain if you have very large fingers as it is in the center of the panel, right above the tray. 5 stars, less 1 star for the crappy repeat function and poor placement of the disc skip button.

Similar Products Used: Magnavox CDC-725.