TEAC PD-H500 CD Players

PD-H500

SINGLE DISC PLAYER WITH DUAL DIGITAL OUTPUTS

Bonger   Audio Enthusiast [May 30, 2002]
Strength:

looks, build quality, sound, compact size

no remote control

This unit matched my TEAC reference amp so got it for a great price on Ebay. Compared to my Toshiba 5700 DVD Audio (with 24/96 DACs) player, this player wins out slightly in performance. Better stereo seperation, tigher bass, clearer mids and generally more musical. Piano and strings are more realistic. Has optical outputs if you wanna just upgrade your DAC in the future.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha changer, Toshiba DVD-Audio player
Bart   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

center loading tray, optical outs, clean clear sound

optional remote, tall chassis

Have live with unit for 3 months, very pleased with performance, have noticed how badly 1st generation lp to cd cd's sound compared to what remastering tech does today. Good bang for the buck. With high quality amp, preamp set up the unit will surprise you.

Similar Products Used: nad, sony, technics, cambridge audio
Bart   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 26, 2000]
Strength:

Price, optical outputs, width, sund

optional remote, remotes narrow beam

1 plus year and unit sounds extremely good. It just lets the music play, there are better sounding units but only incremental improvements can be had for large price increases, for now i am just enjoying the music.

Similar Products Used: sony, nad
John   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 17, 2000]
Strength:

Very deep soundstage, very solid bass, gorgeous looks

Not much functionality unless you buy the remote to get programming features

Overall, a very impressive player. Build quality is top notch. This cd player creates a very deep soundstage, much deeper than the sony player I originally used. Also, bass respounse is tighter and deeper. I'm very impressed with this player. Teamed up with the TeacAH500 amplifier, this beauty can really put on a show.

wukawuka   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 02, 1999]
Strength:

inexpensive yet sounds good, has gold-plated RCA connnectors.

why bother having an optical out on a $200 CD player? also no search function w/o the remote (ie buying the entire system). this is particularly bogus, as the cost of a slightly more complex switch would be a few cents...

Inexpensive but clear sounding. I spend most of my time listening to vinyl, but this is good. Very pleased.

Similar Products Used: Sony, Marantz, NAD
Bart   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 03, 1999]

I must admit i purchased this unit without hearing it. My 12 year old cheapy portable hooked up to my Carver amp, Mac preamp was a mis-match and died 2 days before a monthly jazz club get together. I have listened to cd players costing thousands, and many cost hundreds. This unit sounds extremely good to me; as a serious vinly enthusiast I want to spend the big bucks on upgrading my turntableso I went for the PHH500 because the vendor could ship it the same day, it's chassis is 11.5X11.5,it has digital outputs and Teacs' old school rep for quality recording equipment. I am extremely quality concious about my music and it's sound, so this leap of faith was scary. So far i am happy to report the unit is performing well. I will update in about a month about my long term impressions.