Mod Squad Prism II CD Players

Prism II

Vintage CD player built by Steve McCormack

Rocket 88   AudioPhile [Apr 04, 2016]

I've had a Prism since new and is still part of my system for playing 1st gen CD's that are under recorded/ low level output.
The Mod Squad puts out over 3 volts which makes it a Hot Rod /Millennium Falcon of a player.
I love how "home made" it looks . Everyone thought I was crazy for paying $1400 (new then!) for a moded up Magnavox , until they started listening !
! have it running with a Vacuum Tube buffer and it makes those old CD's Rocking,- Smooth . I'm Listening to The Pretenders first album as I write this and Chrissy sound like shes sitting on my lap. Buy one if you can find one. Think of it as a 78 rpm version of a CD player. It will bring life to those old formally un- listenable CD's

libor   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 26, 2007]
Strength:

Midrange is very tube like. Highs are non irritating and just there....

parts are getting harder to get....

One of the best musical players around! Still after all the years of CD there are just some players, which deserve this status of becoming a cult items! This must be one of them....Very listenable player with lots of talent to entertain. The legendary Phillips 1541 DAC is super tweaked by Mr McCormack to be a classic.

Similar Products Used: many....
Ofir Nadler   AudioPhile [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth well balanced sound with super mid. Good to hear and looking. Fine built.

Not in same league highs.

Some times you can get an expensive gear for low money. This is one. Though rather dated, this Philips based cd player is a joy to the ear. Smooth, well defind sound with good lows and superb mids, though excels less in the higher department. Still super fine value.

John   Audiophile [Jan 05, 2002]
Strength:

Warmth, musical, deep bass.

Not the last word in transparency.

This is an excellent cd player. Those of you familiar with McCormack products know the sound. Rich, full bodied mids is what first grabs your attention. The bass is full and deep, not as tight as a Krell, but the midrange is better. The highs are what I describe as musical, not the most transparent player I've heard, but non-fatigueing. Overall one of the best players I've ever owned. Even 10 years old there is not much out there that makes me want to go throw more money at digital. SACD is a whole new ball game. I did wind up selling the McCormack when I went into SACD, but I lived with it for 8 years very happily. Highly recommended.