Marantz CD5003 CD Players

CD5003

• Sophisticated new aluminum/reinforced resin front panel
  • Analog audio circuits featuring HDAM-SA2
  • High performance Cirrus Logic stereo D/A converter
  • Current-buffered headphone output
  • MP3/WMA playback capability

Costelus82   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 26, 2015]

I've brought the unit for almost 140$ ,second hand,i can Say in which sound ,the midrange ,especially the voices are hearing lower especially the ones from backgrounds FOR example,also a warm and tempered sound whith good bass.to be honest i Was expectinf an faboulos and spectacular sound from Marantz but afterall it might be a entry level cd player from them for an entry audiophile like me ...(i Say that modestly)

Usedtobesolidstate   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 13, 2011]

I got a system together for a friend that included this Marantz CD 5003, a Creek OBH-22 Passive Pre, an old Arcam Xeta 290P & Ruark Prologue II's with cheap but good cabling.I have only just got to listen to it recently and I am very impressed.

I also have Ruark Prologue II speakers but matched with Quad CDP-2, Opera R1.1 pre & Quad 99 Stereo power amp with more sophisticated cabling (Nordost) and in comparison (an unfair one) the soundstaging in my friends system is still excellent. Sure it doesn't have the meat on the bones that my set-up has but I got his sytem together second hand for the new price of the Quad 99 Stereo power amp and it really does sound very fine.

If you want a decent value CD player this unit comes highly recommended, but match it with a ruthless passive pre like the Creek and you will get great value for money.

Ricardo   AudioPhile [Sep 22, 2010]

That's a typical Marantz player, with warm and laid back presentation. Most people will likely enjoy CD5003's warmth and velvet mids and highs but it's defintely not a audiophile player. As expected for an entry level machine, it has some drawbacks. The most apparent is Its timing which is not accurate. Bass lines should be faster and mid-bass tighter. Sometimes the player sounds a bit boomy and the mid-range becomes dark and unclear. Anyway, it never sounds fatiguing like entry-level NAD and that's a great achieving for an budgetary player.

theforerunner   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 25, 2010]

This is an excellent cd player. I've played it side by side against my trusty Meridian 50.24
and it sounds just as good. It's a true bargain at its price. I also own a Rotel 1072, a Sony DVP9000es and a Sony 999es. While this doesn't play SACD like the Sonys do, its cd playback is in the same league. The headpone jack sounds fine for occasional listening. I use this with a Musical Fidelity A300 (alternating with a Manley Stingray) driving Revel M22's. A best buy competing against more expensive players

cross   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 14, 2010]

A very good product indeed! I think what hifi got it spot on with their review. This machine gives out a very muscular , weighty presentation. Even acoustic guitars have just the right weight. I found the high frequency extension to be just right...you don't get ear fatigue or irritated even after a long listening session .
the operation is smooth, no fuss whatsoever...and for a machine at this price, boy it looks quite handsome .