Marantz CD-63mkII CD Players

CD-63mkII

Dual 1-bit bitstream converters, CDM-12 mechanism w/ 3 beam laser

Adam   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 20, 2008]

I've now owned this piece of kit for a decade and most rencently have it paired with a cyrus 8 vs2 and a pair of epos M12s (it started off with an ancient kenwood 6300 amp and MS10is).

I tested the amp and speakers with the Cyrus CD8 and I have to say that the good old CD63 Mkii KI stands its ground and was a brilliant buy - warm and natural to the point of being effortless without laziness, it takes a piece of music to pieces before reassemlbling it instrument by instrument. Rock literally rocks and all the quiet and drama of classical is there for the taking - if the recordings are good enough, as it will expose weakness. At the time of purchase I tested it extensively against everything else and it whipped them all (i was intending to buy something else but a good salesman let the equipment do the work.)

Given how much they are going for now I am thinking of getting a spare in case this one ever goes but I hope I don't have to as its brilliant - everything else has been replaced a couple of times over.

I would highly recommend this as a second hand buy to anyone thinking of building a classic system for not a great deal of money - it can give decent modern (ie 2008) kit more than a run for its money

Doug   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 22, 2002]
Strength:

Sound, features, price, looks.

Tray is slightly creaky when it ejects, remote is not omni-directional (you have to point it at the unit).

I bought this as a topgap, I was planning on keeping it for less than a week, the time it would take me to get hold of a NAD c520, after selling my CD/MD combo deck. However, when I got it home, and tried it, I was extremly impressed, it is very sharp and has great depth. Linked to my Harmon Kardon PM665 and Eltax Symphony 6.2's, it is very warm, but never harsh. I have played all sorts of music, rock/metal/dance/trance/garage, through it, and I have yet to be disappointed by its sound.

Andrejs Jansons   an Audio Enthusiast [Feb 17, 1997]

The sound of this player is simply stunning! The first day after purchasingI had been listening to it for about five hours and simply couldn't stop.
The impression was that I was listening to many records for the first time.
I heard so many sounds, accents and timbres, which I haven't heard before at all. ABBA, Laid Back, Joe Dassin and The Beatles sounded just great. I admit, that there are players on the market sounding even better than this one, but each of them costs thousands of dollars, the price I simply can't afford. But, definitely, this player is a class above all that mass market stuff, such as Sony, Technics, etc.

The only flaw (not connected to sound quality) is its headphone output. Since
I have an old & noisy amp, I prefer to use headphones for listening. This
player has a digital volume control between 0 and -30 dB, which means, that
the volume is controlled by processing the digital data stream before it reaches
DAC, to avoid compromising of analogue signal path. Even when set to the minimal
-30 dB level, the volume is still too high for many headphones (is use
Philips SBC3398 model, 18-30,000 Hz, 100 Ohms) to listen comfortably. It means that some sort of external volume control is necessary between the
player and the headphones. I was really surprised to discover this flaw in such top-class player! For this reason I can give it only 4 stars until
I buy a new amplifier & speakers. Theh it certainly will be 5!

Gerry Nelson   an Audio Enthusiast [Feb 18, 1997]

I just got this player and I have no regrets whatsoever! Before I got it, I listened to quite a few players in the same price range but this was the one that really stood out. There were no disappointments when I got home. The player was a pleasure to listen to. I started noticing things I had never noticed before in my old recordings and I guess it made me want to listen to music more than I had done before. The definition is excellent, the bass tight and the player proved itself great for the acoustic recordings that I listen to. All in all, I give this player my full recommendation.

Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 13, 2000]
Strength:

lots of detail

First off, my system:

Marantz cd63 MKII
Rotel 970BX pre/power amp
Paradigm MiniMonitors

I just got the Rotel amps, and have finally had a chance to do some reasonably serious listening to this system. Overall, I am quite happy with it- Overall sound is somewhat warm, soundstage is quite nice considering the fact that I'm in a crappy room, and imaging is very nice. The cd63 provides a large amount of detail, even when coupled with the cheaper Paradigms.

I believe, however, that the MM's are somewhat unable to cope with the detail, as the highs on certain recordings are irritating and fatiguing. I do not fault the marantz, rather, I think that i have just made a mistake in system matching. I plan on getting some nice floorstanders this summer, and will try to pick something with a more relaxed tweeter. I have heard that using a separate DAC (MSB linc) could quell the shrill highs, but I probably won't look into that until I have purchased the speakers. Also, I have some Kimber 4vs wires in the mail, which should further help me make my decision.

Overall I do like this cd player, and it was WELL worth the $170 upgrade from my crappy sony cd changer.

Paul Haynes   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 03, 2000]
Strength:

Great looks, excellent overall sound

None

I have had my Marantz 63KII for nearly a year now, it's the Cd player I was saving for, so when I had the money to buy one i bought one just as the last news ones were being sold off due to model being discontinued. Worth the money i spend. No regrets.

John Wilson   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 08, 1997]

K1 Signature Price UK£499

I bought this player after months of reading about and listening
to, numerous CD players. My system consists of:

CD Player : Marantz K1 Signature with R/C
Amp: Audiolab 8000S(80watts/channel)
Speakers: TDL RTL3's(120watts rate)
Interconnects: Wireworld Atlantis II
Speaker Cable: Cabletalk Talk3(bi-wire)

Straight out of the box this player was something special. It is a heavily tweaked version of the Marantz CD63mkII and has been designed and
engineered by one of Marantz's top engineers.

The Audiolab demands to be used with a player which can extract great
detail from a CD. The KI certainly delivers in this respect. Bass delivery
is truly excellent with the K1/Audiolab able to feed the hungry TDL's
appetite for bass. The midrange and high-end is also very good with
excellent vocal control.

Value for money? I doubt if there is a sub £1000 player on the market
which can compete with the KI overall. It will work well with most amps,
but because of it's forward and ultra revealing nature I would
avoid bright sounding amps or speakers.

I have also listened to it with B&W P4's and it sounds even better.

Best regards, John

I have had it now for nearly two weeks and it just gets better!

If you are looking for a new CD player in this price range check out
the K1 signature.

Teo Seng Kim   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 17, 2000]
Strength:

Musical and Involving

None

I'm one of the rare few who have tried both the Mk2 and KI signature models, and I can tell you that the signature model is more hype than anything else. The premium you pay is totally unjustified. In a side-by-side comparison using a marantz PM 17 integrated and Epos 12 speakers after running in for a month, I couldn't tell the difference between the two players! As a further test, i asked a buddy to help conduct a blind listening test, and both us couldn't tell one player from the other! So unless others have golden ears that is beyond us mere mortals, I say just buy the cheaper model!

Of course, I sold my KI signature player a few months later, managed to get a good deal thanks to all the rave reviews in the magazines.

Having said that, I must comment that both players share similar characteristics, very musical and sweet. It has a good mid-range vocals, with well-extended bass. I agree that it is more than a match for some cd players costing up to $1000.

I'm still enjoying the sould of my marantz 63 mk2 after all these years, and highly recommend it. Go get yourself a second hand set (it's been discontinued), you won't regret it.