Luxman D-600s CD Players

D-600s

CD player

Henrik W   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 04, 2003]
Strength:

HDCD compatible, Very good seperation of instruments. Very nice finish. Brilliant midrange.

None that I can think of really.

I couldn't believe my ears, when I first listened to this CD player. I've to say that I'm very impressed by it. Still it is the cheapest CD player in Luxmans Ultimate serie. REALLY worth its price.

Similar Products Used: TEAC VRDS-25
Dirk   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 26, 2000]
Strength:

Build quality, looks, musicality

The remote. RCA outlets too close together.

Compared to my previous Marantz changer, this is in a totally different class, both in "rack presence" and in sonical terms. It looks and feels as expensive as it is. The sound can best be described as completely musical: For the first time ever, I can hear the music. I simply forget that I am listening to a CD player, and hear just music. It's very relaxing.

While detail retrieval is very good, this is (thankfully) not an analytical-sounding player. Audiophile criteria such as imaging, soundstage depth and width are all "there" to my full satisfaction, without ever becoming domineering and overshadowing the music.

The only weaknesses are the plastic remote with its identically shaped tiny buttons, and the fact that the RCA outs are too close together for my WireWorld cables. But I'm quibbeling...

I listen mostly to classical, both chamber and full orchestra, plus jazz and blues. My associated equipment is B&k Pro 10 MC preamp and ST-1400 Series II amp, Monitor Audio MAG-903 speakers and MA-1 subwoofer, plus WireWorld Eclipse II and Atlantis II cables. Audioquest Emerald X2 IC for the CD player.

Similar Products Used: Marantz CC-65SE
TC   Casual Listener [Oct 17, 2001]
Strength:

*** Great Soundstage ***

None

*** This review is for Luxman D-375 CDP
*** One bit DAC - about 4 years old.
*** This CDP is Fast, Lively and Warm.
*** It produces great Ambiance.
*** List price was CDN $1,190 in 1997
*** It is paired with Marantz SR-8000 and Boston Acoustic CR-M50
*** Incredible machine !!!

Similar Products Used: Marantz CD-67, Cambridge Audio D-500, H/K 7600
RENE JENSEN   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 11, 2001]
Strength:

Build quality , analog , sounding , Musicality

none

Is A damm good cd , but I just buy the D7i ,ant is is the high-end of luxman.

my system

Logan Ascent
Century 21 A100 clss A damm good , out ML23,5/ML28 BAT vk3-i vk200
luxman D7 I

Similar Products Used: Densen B400 / arcam FMJ23 /Accuphase DP55 /Meridian 508-24
Phil   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

Good detail, refined and natural midrange, solid bass. Absolutely gorgeous looking player, with non-resonant wood construction and top-notch fit and finish. HDCD compatible.

Highs can occasionally be a bit grainy and harsh.

This could be one of the most underrated players in North America. Luxman is one of the most prestigious hi-end names in Japan, and have been around for 75 years. If the Japanese can build a decent CD player for $200, it's not hard to imagine what they can do for a four-figure player, eg. Sony XA7ES This player is a joy to use. It just exudes a very high quality fit and finish and just looks and feels expensive. If you don't know what this player looks like, it looks a lot like Accuphase CD players (another Japanese hi-end brand).
I say this is an underrated player, because there are few if any reviews of this product in North America, and they don't do any advertising. I purchased this player new from my local dealer for about Cdn$1600 (about US$1100) and for the money, it is the best player I have heard or seen. Sound quality is very refined, with good soundstaging and imaging. My only gripe is the treble, although very detailed, can be a touch analytical and fatiguing, falling below the best CD players in this regard. At full list price, this would be less forgiveable, but for the price I paid, I think the Luxman represents excellent value.

Associated equipment:
Luxman D-600s -> Kimber KS-1020 interconnect -> Simaudio Moon I-5 integrated amp -> Kimber Bifocal XL speaker cable -> Merlin TSM-SE speakers on Osiris stands