Denon DCD-1560 CD Players

DCD-1560

Single Disc Player

clemmtec   AudioPhile [Jan 05, 2012]

If you are reading this , this is the cd player to have I have use quite a lot of them
I am using Tosiba sd 9200 when i got that one it sounded very good than the other once that I have
owend and listened to , not until I got the denon and had to test them side buy side.
If you need open sound go for the denon you will be very please with it.
My speakers are wilson audio, amp is mark lev ml 23, pre amp Rotel rc 1090.

Stig Lilleaas   Audio Enthusiast [May 24, 2011]

Yeah!

Took this machine in use again after it had rested for about 6 months.

In the mean time I have been using a top of the line Pioneer DVD , but after reading about the "1560" yeasterday, I opend it , cleaned the lense ang gave the old Denon a try...!

And what t a difference!

I smiled,smiled and smiled, the whole system sounded so much better .

Dept,wideness ,up and down, front and fare in.......!
I knew it was good, but I never tought it was this raw compeard to a upper range DVD.

If you find one , buy it!

The Denon DCD-1560 is capabel to dance with fare more sofisticated machines out there!

Hope this machine will last fore many years.

I have to inform you that I`m using a superb "Black Rhodium Illusion" RCA cable whith bullet plugs, give this cable a try, it lifted the sound many shelfs higher r than a standard cable

Audiopurist   AudioPhile [Mar 25, 2005]
Strength:

Built quality

Cheap op amps

I must agree, the sound of the DCD-1560 is a bit sterile, but still sounds better than a lot of players costing twice as much, even at today's standard. No surface mounted device is used in this player, so modification is easier and better parts can be installed. I've done just some basic upgrades, such as the op amps with the AD-826 - this makes a dramatic difference in sound - detail, clarity, dynamic and smooth. I've also relaced the resistors in the signal path with 1% metal film. The power supply is beefed up with additional capacitors for better filtering. I will be addressing the clock and a few more upgrades. Overall the player is solidly built and still sounds better than spending $1500 for one of the newer inferior models. I'll keep you updated on the next modification.

Similar Products Used: Denon DVD-3800
jukeboxtheater   AudioPhile [Jan 28, 2005]
Strength:

sweet, unfatiguing sound build quality

artificial sounding

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Denon cd players (receivers and DVD players are another matter...). There's nothing offensive about their sound, which is typically sweet and unfatiguing with a detailed top end. However, sweet and unfatiguing can be had on the cheap. What I miss is that organic kind of naturalness that makes music come alive, such as can be had with similarly priced models from Rotel and Sony ES. I feel where Denon goes wrong is in the design of their analog sections which virtually always consist of single sided curcuit boards (Sony ES and Rotel use double sided boards) and cheap op-amps used in the output stage. To be fair, Denon's digital sections are typically very near the state of the art (though I have my doubts about the advantages of their "alpha processing"). To sum up, the DCD-1560 is a typical Denon cd player. It's sound is sweet and will not offend... but neither will it inspire.

Similar Products Used: Denon DCM-460, Rotel RCD-970, Sony X77ES
scottl145   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 03, 2003]
Strength:

Great Sound Quality of build

None

I put my last system together in 1990 and the DCD 1560 was part of it. I have just now upgraded my receiver and speakers but the 1560 stays. It still sounds very good and has had no mechanical problems.

BillE   Casual Listener [Jan 01, 2003]
Strength:

I agree with others that this unit is built like a battleship. Has many bells and whistles that I have never used.

I noticed that a balky CD tray has been mentioned by other reviewers. I had a similar problem that developed in the last several years. Not only did it need assistance to close, I needed to press on the door for it to open. I just replaced the drive belt for a whopping $2.29 and now it works like a charm; as good as new.

I purchased the DCD-1560 as a demo unit on 12/31/90. It has performed without electronic flaw since. At the time I auditioned a variety of CD players and this was the best in my price range. I have been very pleased with my choice for over a decade and I have no intentions of replacing it.

frank   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 16, 2000]

Over 9 years I'm using the 1560 now and still with great pleasure.At the time of purchase it was one of the most smooth sounding cd players on the market.At that price, ofcourse.Nowadays I've heard better players-like the Sony XA 50- but it is a difference one can live by.

David Casey   Audiophile [Mar 10, 2000]
Strength:

At the time of purchase, new in 1990 it was the standard of the industry in its price range.

None that I can or have found.

Purchased the DCD 1560 new in 1990 it still is as good as the day I first set it up. There are times when we set up to play contunious for as long as 6 to 8 hrs. never a skip or mal-function. If one can get a DCD 1560 for $200 to $ 300.00 it would be a good investment even today at its age.

Bryan Little   Audiophile [Apr 27, 2001]
Strength:

Build like a studio piece of equipment, 20-bit chipset still excellent.

Remote is too directional(!)

I sold Denon equipment at a high-end shop from 1898-1991, and I bought this unit then.
People forget Denon used to make items for radio production, which is why their players are so robust.
I still use it in my main system, no reason to upgrade yet.
In 1997 I ran across a place in NYC that actually had the polished wood endpieces in a back room. The wood went out of production since 1990.............!

Herman   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 18, 1999]
Strength:

Solid Construction. Good imaging and soundstage.

I upgraded from a Pioneer CD changer because I wanted digital outputs so I could do the digital recording thing with my minidisc player. I didn't think that there would be major differences between players, but I did notice that the Denon had a better soundstage and the voices seemed more natural. The unit is very well build and quite heavy. I bought this used and think that it'll last me a long time or until I decide to upgrade.
My associated equipment:
Cambridge Audio A500
Altec Lansing 105 speakers
Homebrew interconnects and speaker wires.