Classe CDP-1.5 CD Players

CDP-1.5

The CDP-1.5 utilizes the newest Burr-Brown DACs to reduce jitter. The CDP-1.5 has HDCD decoding to play your most advanced discs and includes a remote control that has all the features you would expect form a high end cd player.

Upstateaudio   AudioPhile [Nov 27, 2003]
Strength:

Good bass. Highly transparent. Great soundstaging

Slightly dark highs. There are reports of bad transport problems. The factory is supportive. I had no problems, but I have dealt with Classe on my preamp, they have a wonderful tech support staff and policies.

Great audiophile class CD player especially at the price that I paid for it. Almost analog sounding comparable to my analog rig (Rega P3-2000 with Dynavector10x4mkII cart).

Similar Products Used: Nakamichi changer with Modwright MSB Link III and Monarchy DIP Mark II.
Jay Stone   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 23, 2000]
Strength:

Extremely musical. Not the most detailed, but everything is there, with great midrange and satisfying bass.

The CD transport. I've already returned TWO brand new units because of defective transports. Both tended to skip occasionally on track 1 of different CDs. This did not happen on the dealer floor model I was permitted to use for two weeks waiting for return/replacement of the defective units.

The CDP 1.5 is a great CD player. However,transport/tracking problems are unacceptable, especially in a player retailing for $2,600! My local dealer has advised they've had to return four other units (plus my two). I like Classe amplifiers, but I really can't recommend their CD players because of transport/tracking defects.

Value Rating: 4 Stars for Sound/Price
Overall Rating: 1 Star for unacceptable mechanical performance

Similar Products Used: My existing player is a Cal Audio Tercet Mk III. In 5 years of use, I can count the number of tracking problems on the fingers of one hand. Examination of the offending disk showed observable, large dust or extraneous particles. Excellent tracking.

I also home auditioned the Linn Ikemi. Excellent CD player, but I found the stereo image to be too laid back and "civilized". However, this was what it sounded like in my system. The dealer had it hooked up to a Mark Levinson integrated amp and the soundstage was very different. Excellent, solid drawer and damping. Good tracking. Audition is essential connected to your home equipment.
TK Lim   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 13, 2001]
Strength:

Warm and musical with the generous inner details. Excellent with HDCD

1)Lack of reviews. 2)If you want 'accuracy of timber' type of sound, look elsewhere

I have been listening to music on audiophile systems for almost a decade, starting with single box CD players and progressing to DAC upgrades for the old CD player. I mainly listen to Jazz and Classical . This player is built like a tank. The transport section should please those with state of the art inclinations. This player has what it takes to convince you to hold out for the convergence of formats (ie DVD Audio, SACD) After paying almost half the original price I certainly cannot complain.

Similar Products Used: MSB Link III DAC with half nelson upgrade
Bobby   Audiophile [Sep 17, 2001]
Strength:

Soundstage, Bass, Overall Clarity, Very lifelike performance

None

This is a wonderful CD player by any account. I previously reviewed the NADS550 and the Classe .3 and this is head and shoulders better than both models. This player presents a very lifelike 3D performance that is virtually unmatched in the same price range. They are going for 2k now and that is a great bargain for such a good piece. Make sure that you match it with good cables or you will be selling yourself short. I used the Cardas Cross for interconnects and it doesn't disappoint. I am going to demo a Wadia 860 next to see if it really head and shoulders above this one. If you like solors (guitar or vocal) this player is a must! 5 stars