Audio Note CD-3 CD Players

CD-3

Doug   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 19, 2012]

Had a similar experience as Neil, compared the CD2 against the CD3 and found the CD3 quite better. To me within the 5000$ range the best CD Player and believe me, I heard a lot.
It is lifelike, musical, very natural.... just fantastic.

OVERALL
Neil   Audiophile [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent, smooth sound, natural sounding, fatigue-free.

Initial problem with a noisy valve - Audionote UK replaced the whole player immediately with great customer service - and it has been totally reliable since. Some mains hum at high volumes, but not a problem at normal levels.

I had decided to totally change my system in an effort to get a cd-based system which I could live. I was using an Audiolab 8000a amplifer, Rotel CD 965 player and a pair of home-built transmission line speakers (using top quality Volt and Scanspeak drivers). The bass was great, but I soon tired of the harsh, gritty and fatiguing sound. I found that I ended up not playing music very much.

In my search for something radically different, I happened on Audionote by way of their high-end valve equipment. Liking what I found - and being able to save some money by DIY - I decided to buy an Audionote Kit 1 amplifier(300b SE), an Audionote Preamp kit and a pair of ex-dem AN-ESpx speakers. What I needed next was a good cd player - smooth sounding but at a realistic price. I was looking for something in the $2000 - $3000 category, but there didn't seem to be much around to choose from. My dealer recommended the CD2 or (then just out) CD3.

I demo'd both, and the differences between them were subtle. Both sounded great, but the CD3 was better. Really smooth sounding without a hint of grain or harshness. My new system sounds totally different from the old one: it sounds truly lifelike and totally involving, particularly with classical music. It is never fatiguing (but possibly slightly recessed in the high treble). The bass is a loose compared to my previous system on rock music - but this is a price well worth paying for a system that I can now listen to and enjoy for hours on end

I would recomend the CD3 player (and Audionote kits!) without reservation.

OVERALL