Audio Analogue Maestro CD Players

Maestro

NZphile   AudioPhile [Jul 15, 2003]
Strength:

The Sound! So romantic and emotionally involving, can't think of other players. Digital input and output, can be used as a 24/96 DAC to decode DVD.

None

This player IS DIFFERENT. I stepped into Audio Analogue Puccini SE when I was building a bedroom system and loved the Analogue sound, then I decided to gave Maestro a try, the Maestro Mark I matches the Puccini perfectly and look superb. There are lots of $1000 CD players you can buy from online resources, I did audition Arcam FMJ, Theta Miles and Musical Fidelity A3.2, and when the Maestro arrived I know this is THE one. I agree with all reviews that this player sounds absolutely analogue, there's no trace of digitality and music just flow so sweetly. The sound of Maestro is fundamentally different than other CD players mentioned above, I found myself easily spend hours listening to the music at night, extremely involved and satisfied. If you have big bucks to spend I believe there are better players out there, but I am just so satisfied with this outstanding performer. 5 stars no doubt.

Similar Products Used: Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity A3.2, Theta Miles
Tony Tabardt   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 09, 2003]
Strength:

Fantastic imaging and 3D-impression, Fast transcientattacks, Detailed, Dynamic, Musical and warm sound.

Disk-transportation and remotecontrol.

I saw the Maestro for the first time at Sentec Audio in Stockholm and was impressed by the sheer looks of it. When I listened to it (Audio Net amplification and JM Lab Mezzo Utopia speakers), I was sold. The sound quality is very good and excels with an amazing clarity and control througout the frequency range. Deep and analytical in bass, spectacularly detailed in midrange, transparent and detailed in treble. My overall impression is that the Maestro is very well built except for the disct-transportation (sledge) which tends to vibrate and almost stop sometimes (open-close function). If you are looking for a CD-player in the price range 1500-5000, I strongly recommend you to listen to the Maestro.

Similar Products Used: Proceed CDP
Francesco Ricci   Audiophile [Jul 28, 2000]
Strength:

free from any sort of grain, quick

none

I bought an AA Paganini at the beginning of '99 and was delighted by that CD player: smooth, clean, and a bargain with respect to other similar (and maybe more famous) products like Arcam 9. But there are also some flaws: a booming upper bass, still some digital grain in the tremble, and not really fast and rhythmic.

Maestro is a different story! In my opinion it solves (brilliantly) the above mentioned problems of his little brother. It is simply right. It is fast, extremely linear and with a midrange that is spectacular. When you listen to a violin or a cello, you can clearly heard the resonance of the harmonic box, not only the strings vibrating. The orchestral "pieno" is rich and at the same time it is easy to recognize all the different voices.
You can listen to CDs for hours without any sort of fatigue.

I'm in love with that CD player, I STRONGLY suggest to listen to this player.

I use it with: YBA Integre' and Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano.

Similar Products Used: Audio Analogue Paganini
Primoz   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 19, 2000]
Strength:

natural, analog-like, soundstaging

none

Tested against Arcam Alpha 9 and Densen B-4, but in my system it was no contest. The other two are decent players, especially the Densen, but only the Maestro approached the sound of my Rega Planar 3. Far better timbre, balance and extensive L-R and front-back soundstaging. Don't think it gets much better in the 3000 DEM area. The rest is Densen DM-10 amp w/ phono stage, Maggies 1.6 QR.

Luca Lusuardi   Audiophile [Jun 03, 2001]
Strength:

Imaging and detail, depth of the 3D sound scene, really natural sound.

Front commands aren't ergonomic at all. The remote isn't the best I have seen.

The Maestro is very well built; watch inside the box and you'll see a great technical work. The secret of the Maestro is that is built with excellent components by people who listen to music. Sound quality is superb, balanced, with good dynamics and excellent sense of rhythm. I was really astonished by the depth of the sound-stage and by the transient response of this player. The great musical detail reproduced by the Maestro never becomes harsh, it's always a pleasure to listen to it.

Similar Products Used: Previous CD player: modified Marantz CD 67SE.
Joseph   Audiophile [Nov 10, 1999]
Strength:

It sounds soooooooo smooth, specially with female vocal

None yet.

This replace my old Rotel 971. It sound so incredible beautiful with female voice.
I only have it for one day, MFG recommand 100hr breakin, but it is just getting better & better hour after hour. Midrange smoothness is just incredible, silky, fullness, detail, natural, lots of air surround singer & musical equipment. Very very control & deeeeeep bass. I though I loss some bass on some CD track, until I put in Holly Cole's Temptation, I suddenly realized I was not getting tight, control bass. Treble has no sign of any digital grainness. Sound stage is wider, deeper, & more define & solid. I am thinking about getting a Pioneer 525 DVD player, & some 24/96 Chesky DVD to test out 24/96 DAC input capability.
It just sound too good to be a 22lb beautiful build, silver front plate, highend CD player, & 24/96 DVD DAC, but cost less than $2000.
I will post follow up after several weeks of breakin.

Similar Products Used: Rotel 971.
Themis   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 11, 2001]

The new Maestro MkII (model year 2001) comes in a big case, similar to the Maestro integrated amp, and there is not much in common with the MkI (new power supply, new transport, new dacs, new analogue stage). The midrange is just as impressive and delicate as with the MkI, but this quality now extends to both ends of the spectrum, with impressive bass and fast treble.

Similar Products Used: Audio Analogue Maestro MkI, Marantz 67SE, Micromega Leader
Mikael K   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 21, 1999]

If you think that the Audio Analogue Paganini is a good CD player (I did and still do), check this one out!
It comes in the same "box" as the Paganini, the remote is still a fairly ugly looking piece of plastic and the lettering is red rather than black (which is a slight disapointment to my taste). The difference is visible by checking the back-side:

There is one set of analogue output, one digital AND one digital input (yep, you'll be able to use the Maestro as a DAC) - all RCA.

The insides have been beefed up compared to the Paganini too. Three massive toroidals, new Chrystal 24/96 DAC chip.

So, what does it sound like then? Actually it sounds like the Paganini, only more so. Every sonic area is bettered at least a noth or two. The sounstage is probably the easiest area of improvement to spot; it's wider, it's deeper and it has more "air" on top. To say that I was impressed by what I got for the extra outlay compared to the Paganini (some SEK 6,000) is an understatement.

To put it another way - it's sometimes very close to my analogue source (Xerxes/DSU/XPS3.5/Tabriz zi/Ortofon MC20 Supreme/SAT Phonofix RIAA), which for me is still the highest praise you can give a CD-player.

Randy Murphy   Audiophile [Feb 26, 2001]
Strength:

Precise Imaging and Detail -- Clarity Throughout Frequency Range. Wonderfully Warm Sound with Voices, Particularly Medieval Choirs Like Tallis Scholars -- No Edgy, "Digital" Sense to Sound on Good Recordings. Build Quality First Rate. Gorgeous Aesthetically.

Remote's a bit funky -- but it's functionable.

If you’re looking for a new player in the $2000-3000 range you really need to find and listen to a Maestro. Mine’s a dealer demo and so was nicely broken in and gave me great pleasure from the first moment I set it up. While I gave $1450 for mine I would’ve considered it a bargain at $2000 (can’t believe my luck). In my informal auditioning of players over the last few months, literally nothing came close. I’m sure that there are as fine as sounding players and DACs out there but I’ll bet you’ll pay at least $3000 -- maybe more -- for them.
The Maestro’s sound is warm and open and incredibly detailed. One eairler reviewer mentioned that it comes close to analogue and he's correct in my experience. It reveals every nuance of vocal and jazz combos, and lacks any harshness or digital grain. I don't listen to much hard rock music and can't speak to how it'll handle it, and I’m not sure if this is a problem, but it also shows the recording limitations of some early CD’s.

Highly Recommended

Associated Gear:
Arcam Alpha 9 integrated Amp
Music Hall 5 Table
Linn Ninka Loudpeakers
Target Beta-4 Stands
Rega Couple and Audioquest interconnects
Monster Speaker Cables (about to be replaced my Nordost)

Similar Products Used: Listened to players from Arcam, Rega, Premire, NAD, Classe, and Linn within price range.
patrice bouchard   Audiophile [Jan 02, 2001]
Strength:

Très musical, détaillé et doux
bon converteur DA
Qualité de fabrication

Peut etre un peu trop doux?

Exellant appareil, J'ai payé le mien 2200CAN neuf; une aubaine compte tenu de la qualité.

Son doux et précis. Très près de ma rega planar 3.
(la réga sonnne encore mieux...)

Un bon achat à coup sur!