Nordost Red Dawn Interconnect Speaker Cables

Red Dawn Interconnect

Drakenforst   AudioPhile [Jul 27, 2009]

Id heard all the this n that around cables and connectors, the theories and the anti theory theories, I have had various cables and connectors in the past, many very well respected...

But Id bought a pair of Red dawn RCA 0.6m interconnect on a gut instinct and was , well hard to describe accurately....
Im running a Musical Fidelity X-P100 into a Prima Luna Prolouge Four, Id been running this setup up for over half a year with some very fine home made loudspeakers sporting Beymer 8" woofers and Scan-speak 1" Dome 2094 series.
I was stunned by how different my system sounded when I added the Red Dawns between my pre and power amps, I was lacking some bass in my system, it was all there, smooth and powerful with all the bandwidth clean and crisper than before yet even warmer and fuzzier too! Yes I am hearing my system properly now. And its awesome from any source...

I had read many reviews before purchasing them, and a few reviewers mentioned it was system dependent, Although I havent as yet heard them with any other system, I suspect this could be the case, but they are utterly perfect in my system, + they look the part too.

YAS   Casual Listener [Jul 07, 2006]
Strength:

FANTASTIC SPEED, ENOUGH DETAIL TO GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR SOUND SYSTEM AND YOURS RECORDINGS. A HUGE SOUNDSTAGE .

WEAKNESSES CERTAINLY NOT.

BUT PLEASE AUDITION FIRST IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO USE THESE IN YOUR SYSTEM.

I recently purchased a Nordost Red Dawn Interconnect because I felt my sound system was not firing on all cylinders. It comprises of a ARCAM CD72T, MICHELL GYRODEC/ QC POWER SUPPLY,MF A5cr PRE and A5 PWR AMPLIFIERS, KEF REF 1;2 SPKS cabling was VDH D102 111 HYBRID and VDH CLEARTRACK.

Before I bought the RD interconnectst the sound was just too smooth and muddy in the midrange. I recently purchased the MF A5 amps on EBAY and thought I had made a big mistake. I contacted a few MF owners and they told me to try Chord or Nordost I chose Nordost Red Dawn after reading the reviews on Google.
I was lucky to purchase a pair of RD interconnects on Ebay and got a good bargain . Well when I plugged it in between my Pre and Pwr the sound that came out of my speakers was astonishing, no more lumpy smooth midrange but a sound of fantastic speed, it actually felt like my amps had been given a dosage of steroids the sound was so fast and detailed you can say I was over the moon.
I had realised the fault was not with my high end amplifers but the use of midrange interconnects which are more suited for budget to midrange systems.
I would like to buy another pair to connect between my CD Player and Pre Amplifier as well.

rsmcphee   AudioPhile [Dec 30, 2003]
Strength:

details and extensions on highs, clarity and superb mids, tight bass

expensive but worth it

This cable is expensive but if you get it online they are reasonable. The Nordost Red Dawn is thrilling to listen to. The bass is tight but not overwhelming. The mid-range is spot on, sweet, detailed without being harsh. The top end has air with extensions. The guitar seems to linger longer with this cable. Vocal based music such as Nora Jones and Diana Krall are very enjoyable. This cable is very neautral and very revealing. It is a a fantastic cable with my system. My system is listed below: Rotel 1066 processor (surround) Simaudio Titan (5 channel amp) Musical Fidelity A324 DAC mated with Pioneer A563A universal player (SACD, DVD-A, CD) --- connected with Nordost Red Dawn Samsung HD931 dvd player Speakers: Martin Logan Ascent, Theater i, and Martin Logan Scenario Subwoofer: Infinity HPS1000 (1000 watts) Turntable: Rega P3 (connected with Red Dawn) Powerconditioner: Monster HTS1000 Cables: Nordost, Kimber, Straight wire

Similar Products Used: Kimber hero, Straight wire Chorus, Straight wire Maestro, Nordost Black Knight, Nordost Blue Heaven, Monster cables
uwiik   AudioPhile [Sep 28, 2003]

Throw away the RD RCA, get RD XLR. Way too much faster response than the RCA, much cleaner sound, tighter bass.

uwiik   AudioPhile [Sep 10, 2003]
Strength:

almost perfect sound staging/separation, dynamic sound, deep tight sound.

bright and harsh in the upper end if combined with bright system.

Oh, am I glad I got rid of the old qed qunex silver spiral(which received 5 stars award in what hifi). Ooo yeah, the silver spiral just sound like the speaker been wrapped with paper bag, rubbish sound. Then I pluged in the red dawn RCA to my system, am I glad, hell yeah!!! Excellent sound staging/separation, I can really feel like the singer is really singing in front of me, deep tight sound. It's a bit bright when I'm still using the Jamo Cornet speaker, but once I swapped it to Dynaudio contour S1.4, it became a totally different world, PERFECT COMBINATION!!! Can't wait for my new Red Dawn XLR, want to hear the difference between RCA and XLR. My system: Meridian 507.20 Cd player Musical Fidelity F22/FX Pre-power Dynaudio Contour S1.4 Chord Company chorus (cd-Pre) QED Silver anniversary SPkr cable.

Similar Products Used: QED QUnex SIlver spiral RCA, Nordost SUper Flatline RCA, Chord Chorus.
crippler   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 03, 2003]
Strength:

Bass extension and balance. Should work excellent in a bright system.

High are really controlled but balanced. You hear all the sound but they don't jump out at you, not attacking, if that's a minus

I heard Blue Heaven and was convinced it was the cable for me but when red dawn came up at the same priced I jumped. First thing I heard was bass extension clear and deep. Mids are balanced and really clear. Highs at first seemed muffled now I realize I was listening to a balanced open sound. Red dawn has twice the cable than bkue heaven less impedence thus more sound getting out from source. Yes I recomend them. Arcam A85 CD 92 QED silver aniversary

Similar Products Used: Ecosse MA2, Kimber pbj, monster 550i
dgerik   AudioPhile [Dec 02, 2002]
Strength:

Very fast and transparent. Image is unreal. Very neutral

Could be bright on some systems

This stuff transformed my Primare D20. Everything suddenly just opened up and was "there".?xD;?xA;On my stuff it worked wonders, but I think on a system that was on the bright side, it could be alittle bright in the upper mids.?xD;?xA;Bottom end sounded lean at first until I started seeing how clean and tight it was compaired to what I was used to.?xD;?xA;I think this cable has no sonic signature of its own, you hear only the music.

Similar Products Used: nbs, tara labs, sonic link, Dh labs
wenrhuang   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 22, 2002]
Strength:

Transparancy,Soundstage.

I am no expert audiophile. I did not compare different brands of cable. However, I upgraded from Solar Wind to Red Dawn interconnect recently, I could say it is well worth the expense. only after about 40 hours of burn in--80 hours total required stated by Nordost-- on Red Dawn, I did an A-B test between Solar Wind and Red Dawn. I was surprised the difference was so obvious. First, at the same volume setting, Red Dawn seems to be louder; Then, the clearity, air, sound stage all improved to another level. The total experience is Red Dawn made my system much more revealing and dynamic. Considering the $200 or so difference in price for upgrade, I would highly recommand it for any decent system.

Similar Products Used: Solar Wind
david w 12   Audio Enthusiast [May 27, 2002]
Strength:

clarity, speed but smooth as well

Base a little light,fragile construction,so prone to damage

I agreewith the other reviewers.I had some Blue Heaven interconnects,bought after a demonstration at an Audio show.They were good but the Red Dawns are better,fast clear and dynamic,but smoother than the blue heavens.They are revealing of a bad,compressed recording,but should'nt they be.

Similar Products Used: Nordost blue Heaven,Van der Hull 102.
Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

Transparent, deep soundstage, fast, detailed, open, great image focus

None that I can detect on my system

I did randomized AB/BC/CA testing of the Red Dawn Balanced interconnect versus Red Dawn Unbalanced and my Nordost Solar Wind Unbalanced interconnect. This was repeated over 12 trials during a weekend. These cables were tested between my pre-amp and my amp.

I made sure all cables were properly burnt in, and choose music I knew very well. I could not believe the difference between the Red Dawns and my Solar Winds. Moreover, the Red Dawn Balanced performed far superior in my system than the Red Dawn Unbalanced. All lengths were 1 meter.

The Red Dawn Balanced created a wide, open soundstage. The instruments and voices were separated on a black background. The image smearing that I had experienced with the Solar Winds was completely gone. On some material that tended to be bright on both the Solar Wind and the Red Dawn Unbalanced, smoothed out with the Red Dawn Balanced.

I have not experienced this much difference from a cable in my system before. Needless to say, I have a pair on order. Highly recommended.