Monster Cable Interlink 400MKII Audio Interconnect Speaker Cables

Interlink 400MKII Audio Interconnect

mitmantim   AudioPhile [Jan 06, 2004]
Strength:

Looks like it could possibly sound good

sounds unlike it possibly looks.

This particular interconnect blows major goats and I am NOT a Monster Cable basher.I own a pair of 80$ Monster Z1 speaker cables and they sound great on my B&W dm602s and Pioneer Elite components.This interconnect is worse than the lower priced mkII300 interconnect and at the time I actually prefered the sound of my optical cable over it. People, do yourself a favor and leave your local strip-mall Circuit City or Good Guys and venture off to the nearest Hi-Fi shop. Any sub100$ Straightwire or Audioquest interconnect sounds galaxies better. Kills the imaging, muddles the bass, adds grain to the highs, only slightly better dynamic performance than an OTB cable.

Similar Products Used: Monster Z1 speaker cable Monster mkII300 interconnect Straight Wire Symphony Audioquest Sidewinder
Samy   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 12, 2003]
Strength:

Truth

Honnesty (for bad systems !)

Very big cable !!!

Similar Products Used: None
mitch   Casual Listener [Aug 24, 2003]
Strength:

everything

none

Great cable nuff said

Tom M   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 23, 2003]
Strength:

great cable

$40 is a bit pricey for cables

I would have to say I agree with all the positive reviews of the product. I don't feel I good add any further praises to the interlink 400mkii. I would like to say that while the people who don't like this product have every right to say so, should not place multi post on this board in an attempt to bring the over all score of the product down.

Similar Products Used: none
simon_usa   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Clear, transparent, smooth sounding. Useful directional indicators on the cable.

The connectors are cheaply made. When one of the "grab" pins broke off, I realized the connector is not all metal construction (like you would expect for the price). The pin was made of platic. Quite disappointing! This product is overpriced in my opinion.

Clear, detailed and smooth sounding cable, but the connectors are surprisingly cheap - the pins are made of plastic, not metal like you expect.

Similar Products Used: Acoustic Research cables, other Monster Cables, Phoenix Gold cables, Audioquest cables.
Sylvester   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 13, 2002]
Strength:

tonal balance

average resolution

To be honest,I never liked Monster Cables because the company is similar to Bose. They both overpriced their products. The reason I finally bought these cables is because I received a free gift card from Circuit City and the store has nothing else I need. Anyway I'm satisfied with these cables;they improve the sound of my system.My setup consists NAD C340, JVC CD player, Dynaudio Audience 50, Kimble K 4PR. I believe those who claim they are bad,good or no different because every system is different. You just have to find the cables that match your system.My conclusion is that : good system+good matching= good sound, good system+bad matching=bad sound, bad system=no difference

George   Audiophile [Jan 13, 2000]
Strength:

good sounding interconnect; excellent detail

none heard so far

OK, these may not be $300 interconnects but for $40 for the 1m length, and considering the well balanced sound, these are a pretty good deal for good quality interconnects. I agree with the last post regarding how carried away people can become with interconnects. I would also bet that if you A/B'd a number of ultra expensive interconnects with much less expensive ones, most would not be able to tell the difference, UNLESS you are running some very revealing electronics and speakers.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 2000]

This is one nice sounding interconnect for the money. I could not believe the detail that jumped out of my speakers when hooking this up over just plain Monster 400's. They must have really improved this design, because I am hearing such detail and fine imaging, I could cry. I am not kidding. They compare to my $250 Straightwire interconnects on my other super high end system (Audio Research, Maggies, etc.). These are connected in my second system in my workout room. Monster is really getting their act together in the more inexpensive 'Consumer' realm!!!

Dan   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 15, 2000]
Strength:

Clear high, good bass, very airy and cool soundstaging.

None.

I think this cable is really underrated by most of the reviewers. This cable isn't that bad. In fact, it's quite good. I didn't say it's good because i own it, but it's really that good. It' ridiculous how some reviewer claims that they sound the same as those free supply cables when buying equiqment etc.
I had try a lot of cables including those listed above. The 400mmkii is amost equal with most of the cable listed above. Ixos 102 cable is good in highs but little weak on the bass side. Straightwire Chorus is just the opposite. Good bass but weird high. Imaging is quite good too. The Kimber PBJ sounds the worst maybe because of my equiqment is too bright. It makes my system sounds even brighter. But the bass is good though. I tested it on my friend's system and it sound different from my system. It sounds good on my friend's system. Audioquest Topaz sounds OK but a little bit dull.
Now for 400mkii, the sound is quite airy with good high and strong bass. I like the high cause it makes the music sound airy, not too bright like PBJ or not too dull like Audioquest Topaz. The bass is strong but not well define as the Straightwire Chorus. Overall sounstaging is quite good too. Better than Ixos 102 and the Topaz. But can't really tell the difference on soundstage between StraightWire Chorus and 400mkii.
My rating for all the cable above:
1) StraightWire Chorus
2) Monster Cable 400mkii
3) Kimber Kable PBJ ( because it's makes my system sounds too bright. On my friend's system is totally diffent rating)
4) Ixos Gamma 102
5) Audioquest Topaz

As you can see, your system really makes a great deal of influnce on the cable's sound. You can't really blaim the cable for the sound you are getting. As a conclusion, the MonsterCable is not an overall winner but it doesn't deserve to get lesser than 3 star. My unbias rating.
Value: 4 star
Sound: 4 1/2 star
Overall: 5 star

Similar Products Used: Ixos Gamma 102, Straightwire Chorus, Kimber PBJ, Audioquest Topaz.
Todd Billeci   Audiophile [Apr 23, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent sound and value

None

Excellent sound for a reasonable price. Using 0.5 M length as interconect between audio/video components and audio/video switch. Satisfying result.