Illuminations D-60 Digital cable Speaker Cables

D-60 Digital cable

michael klementovich   AudioPhile [Dec 03, 2003]
Strength:

Seperation of Instruments

Bass is Anemic

Well made cable with well constructed RCA's with nice termination. I have spent a great deal of time evaluating this product. I have all SET amps 211's 45's, 2A3's 300B's and 6C33C's. I was using the MIT Digital Reference and thought "Lets see what everyone was talking about. I am using the Theta 3A and the Rega Jupiter as a transport only . The D-60 is faster than the Digital Reference but I consider it somewhat edgy and weak in the bass and I am not a fan of big bass just tight natural bass and this cable is just a little to lean in that department compaired to the MIT. Overall I prefer the MIT but do like a few things about this cable. I ordered the Music Metre Fidelius and I am hoping that will bridge the gap by giving me speed and strength.

Similar Products Used: MIT Digital Reference
audiom3   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

Detailed, smooth, tight, etc, etc.

NONE!

Wow! I thought the DH Labs D-75 made a huge difference over my Optical Cable! This Kimber Kable really makes all others I've listened to, sound cheap. I have always had trouble with finding a legitimate soundstage in my system. I really have been skeptical about how "real" a soundstage on a home audio system is (I have a pretty decent system-see below). I am beginning to see some of it come to life with this cable, as was never possible with any other coax cables that I've heard. But the real joy is Home Theater! The channel separation and clarity really do come to life with this cable! Bass is much less "boomy" and tight. Dialog voices are less resonant, and much more clear sounding. At very loud volumes, with very low bass (ie. Star Wars Ep.2 in the beginning while the ship is landing) my dual Legacy Audio 12s would distort a bit before, but not any more! I will have to pull out The Haunting DTS and listen for the real test though. All the little details - especially in the surround channels, are now very audible, and much more life-like. Very impressed with this cable, and I doubt you would be able to find a better one at any price. Lexicon DC-1 Sony SCD-333ES CD Player Acurus A125X5 Legacy Audio Classics Legacy Audio Silverscreen Audioquest Coral Interconnects Kimber 8TC Speaker Kable Kimber Illuminations D-60 Coax.

Similar Products Used: DH Labs D-75, and other crap like Monster and Acoustic Research.
Erik H   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 16, 2002]
Strength:

detail, crisp, soundstage wide and deep, bass and tonal balance, for vocal.. very open and great

price.. 10 times my old Apogee yaaaww

Great digital cable and this cable is my long time searching..to replacing my old Apogee Wydeeye, the detail, crisp, bass authorative, soundstage.. very beautiful I also trying several digital cable before deciding to buy this expensive cable but all is crap...all never beat my old Apogee, Mr Alan from Audiowaves is very helpfull although he makes me little busy to sending bankdraft because he can't accept credit card from foreign... :) sorry Alan

Similar Products Used: Apogee Wydeeye, van den hul digital, Nordost moonglo, TMC digital,
Donn SZ Wagner   an Audiophile [Mar 30, 1999]

A highly over rated cable. There are many other digital cables that are sonically better than the D-60 but people seem to still believe that the D-60 is the best. Before you try this cable you must try the Millersound Digital cable at $90 retail (kills the D-60 and most others) also the Synergistic digital Corridor 2 is another cable that retails for about $190 and again is much better than the D-60
Overall I feel that this is a hyped cable that should be exposed for what it is....a good cable but there is much better out ther for less $$$

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me

Take care,
-Donn

John Lum   Audiophile [Dec 21, 1999]
Strength:

Cable has good flexibility, and looks nice in that pearly white jacket.

Extraordinarily long burn-in period (four to six weeks)

Transports: Theta Jade and Data basic II; CAL Delta; NAD 5000; Rotel RCD-971
DACs: Theta DS Pro Basic IIIa and Prime IIa; Cobalt 307

Coaxial digital cables come and go, but the D-60 remains the one to beat at this price. Only by going up to the super-expensive Tara Labs The One Digital or XLO Limited Edition, will you surpass the D-60. The D-60's flaws really only show up when you use it with top notch digital gear, and compare it (the D-60) to the Tara TOD and XLO LE.

The D-60 doesn't have the focus, detail, freedom from grain, or top-to-bottom coherence that the TOD and LE are capable of. But what I really like about the D-60, compared to cables in and around its price range, is that it does not add any mid-to-upper bass boom.

If you are among the minority who has a lean-sounding digital front end, then the alternative to the D-60 is Tara's Air 75. If you have money to burn, then by all means, go for the TOD or LE. Everyone else should stick with the D-60, enjoy it, and wait for the DVD-A and SACD situation to clear up.

Similar Products Used: MIT Digital Reference; Tara Labs Air 75 and The One Digital; Wireworld Gold Starlight II; AQ Digital Pro
Audio   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 1999]

Well, right after giving the D-60 a 5-star rating, I read a previous posting from Mike Marcellas and decided to give the Musicmetre Fidelus a try. With a few hours of listening, I have to admit that Fidelus does sound richer and airier than the Illuminati D-60. In comparison, D-60 sounded a bit thin and bright but with a little better focus and soundstage (this may change after the Musicmetre Fidelus is fully broken in ?). OK, since I do trust my own ears, I have to change my previous rating to 4 stars :-)

Chris Woodson   Audiophile [Jan 26, 2001]
Strength:

Sound Staging, Imaging, Tonally Correct, and HUGE amounts of AIR and DETAIL..

NONE

After auditioning several cables listed above. I finally heard the D-60 on my system and I was blown away. The soundstage literally moved back 10 feet in my listening room. I gained huge amounts of detail and not a hint of brightness over the Apogee cable. Everything sounds so much more effortless and even average to bad recordings sound great and are very enjoyable.

I broke down and ordered one. Once it arrived it actually sounded decent out of the box and now sounding better since I have over 50 hours on it. I would strongly recommend this cable to anyone who is looking for an audible improvement in a digital cable.

Associated Equipment

YBA Integre DT (AMP)
Theta DS Pro Basic II (DAC)
Pioneer Elite PD-65 (Transport)
AudioTruth Lapis x2 (Main Interconnect)
XLO Type 5 Reference (Speaker Wire)
MIT Z CORDS (Used On Amp and DAC)

Similar Products Used: Apogee Acoustics Wyde Eye, Canare, MIT..
Zugswang   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 06, 2001]
Strength:

Good mid-level audiophile cable.

Good one. This made a definite upgrade from my Canare Digiflex, when used between a Proceed PDT3 transport and an MSB Link Dac. More of everything, but especially more filling out at the ends, bass and treble. See other reviews for break-in issues, no point in regurgitating all that.
I'm rating it 4/4 because I have not heard the ultra expensive stuff except Goldmund; but it is the best digital cable *I* have heard.

Similar Products Used: Canare, Goldmund Lineal Digital cable
Glenn Hawkins   Audiophile [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

smooth highs,retrieval of detail,controlled extended bass

long break in period

This cable is outstanding. Right out of the box this cable was a huge improvement over anything I've used before. It made the soundstage very deep and wide. The bass was loaded with texture and extension. The mids and highs were very smooth with great extension. The way this cable pulls out subtleties in music is impressive. If it's on the recording and your system is capable ,you will hear it.Overall an excellent cable that won't disappoint.

Similar Products Used: audioquest,kimber agdl(junk),van den hul
Kimball Corson   an Audiophile [Apr 12, 1998]

I read TR's review and concur with it absolutely. The path to break in is too bright a top, then a hardness in the upper midrange and then a full mellowing out from those problems with added bass extension. I don't have a lot of experience with digital interconnnects but my switch from the Tara RSC Master Gen 2 to the D-60 was a very serious eye opener. Like substituting in a better amplifier. I stuck my neck out on the D-60 because of the Stereophile concensus rave review and I am pleased with the results. The D-60 is very revealing, detailed and has great extension at both ends. The Tara was clearly obstructing an open and more natural top end and extension beyond that. The bottom end detail and impact is excellent too. The smoothness of the D-60 acts most interestingly to still clearly reveal the flaws of poorer quality CDs. A very revealing and seriously excellent cable that I did not realize was a Kimber Kable product until I was purchasing it. Also, the cable is not marked as to direction. I was told the shrink wrapped end goes to the DAC, but both ends are shrink rwrapped, one including the serial number of the cable, the other not. I put the serial number end to the DAC, but I am still not sure I have it right. No instructions with the D-60. Buyers are uncomforably left to guess.