Thorens TD-126 MKII TurnTables

TD-126 MKII

Introduced in 1976.

Les   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 12, 2012]

I bought my 126 MKII in 1976/78. It was new and took ages to get it set up. Was it worth it? Thirty something years later and still running, you bet it was worth it. The cost at the time was of course horrendous, however the 126 has been and still is the smooth operator it always was. bmac50 says he paid $240 in london for his, well he did very well, I paid over £300 and that was a special offer. (cheap at the time) The sharp bit was not included in the price, so, about £400 in all. For my vote, this Thorens is a peach of a machine. May it run for ever! les.

bmac50   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 31, 2008]
Strength:

Heavy and yes that is a strength, you get no feedback even with this turntable even with it sitting on a speaker, we tested this with several turntables in the barracks. Hum was very low with a 300 watt p/c amp not playing anything with the volume turned almost 3/4 of the way. Push the button to start the table turning and still nothing from the speakers. This was probably one of the best turntables ever built for isolation other than turntables costing 1000's.

I believe I bought mine in 1974 or 75, it gets used at least once a week and still works as well as the day I got it.

Other than the cover would never stay half way open I can think of none.

I bought mine when Thorens was in the middle of the model change (125 to 126). I actually took the station aircraft from Iceland to London just to get one of these plus save a ton of money. I had been using Pioneer turntables mostly up to this point so this was a huge jump.

Customer Service

Have never had to use their service other than cleaning n lube. The last time I had my belt checked it had stretched less than 1 cm.

Similar Products Used: Look it in for service several years ago and low and behold there was another one just like it. It was an America version and not nearly as heavy so upon close examination they had completely different motors.
reynaldo   AudioPhile [Jan 29, 2008]
Strength:

Good solid, heavy plinth that can stand an earthquake. Smooth and clean sound, rumble? what's that? Built to last. Mine turned 26 last november

I can't hear any

I fully agree with the other reviews: I've owned a 126 Mk III for 26 years and it´s been my beloved toy ever since. Previously I had a 145 Mk I while in college and that one I also recommend to anyone who can get their hands on one. The 126 broke the mold as far a a solid, massive and quiet table. I remember when I bought it (1981) some "experts" not liking the tone arm that came with it (TP-16 III) at the time but I also remember hearing spectacular sound comming from my cartridge of choice at the time ( Shure V-15 type IV). Currently I´m running a Dynavector 10X5 and the sound beats any CD in my collection. Sure, 21st century tables are sexy but I'm keeping my big tank that seems to be indistructible.

Similar Products Used: Thorens TD 145 Mk I
ddarch44   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 23, 2005]
Strength:

Switches from completely manual to semi-automatic. Stable, yet adjustable, speed.

Wish they had used metal instead of plastic in a couple of places.

I have listened to/lived with almost all of the Thorens suspended turntables from the 60s, 70s, and 80s...and this one is by far the nicest when speaking of units with stock arms. I have owned several TD-125 of various vintage and style, but none of those match the sonics and features of the 126 MKII. Again, this is with the stock arm. I am really anxious to upgrade to an SME or Linn, and see what it can do then!!

Similar Products Used: Whole Thorens suspended TT line. Acoustic Research line.
Belgarchi   AudioPhile [Jul 05, 2004]
Strength:

Build quality, practical, gorgeous sound, excellent suspension

Attached, flimsy power cord

I bought it with a Grace tonearm and a Supex MC cartdridge, in pristine condition. This turntable is superb : very heavy, so well suspended that you can knock it violently when playing a record without any detrimental effect ! The platter, made of 2 parts, weights more than 3 kg. The speed can be tuned, there is a stroboscope. It is easy to change the tonearm, and I installed a SME 3009 serie III. I don't ear any rumble nor speed variation. It is my last turntable : I don't think another one can better it. Compared to a Thorens TD-125, it has many similar features (the platter, for example), but is better build (casing, etc.). I don't know why the older TD-125 is better known today, it doesn't make sense. The value rating of "5" is for one in perfect condition (rare) at less than $500.

Similar Products Used: Lenco, Garrard, Era, Thorens, etc.