Technics SL D2 TurnTables

SL D2

Samuel daline   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 21, 2015]

I found this turntable in the dumpster. Yes, a fully working unit with cartridge. Best money I've ever spent. People just don't really understand how good these are for how available they seem. If you can get one in good condition for under 100, you're golden

mjcmt   AudioPhile [Mar 19, 2013]

This is the third D2 turntable I've owned. Each time I end up selling it in hopes for something better in a budget turntable, and each time I buy another D2 because there is no better turntable for the used price they can be attained at. Thankfully there are plenty of them out there to buy another one. The are good enough to spend the extra money on a good cartridge. Enough said.

Randall Heath   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 31, 2012]

Picked this D2 up on the Bay for $79 with an inexpensive Shure cart included. Arrived this morning via USPS surpisingly intact (the seller had the presence of mind to remove the platter and wrap it separately).
Took it out of the box, switched the cart to an Ortofon om5e (also inexpensive), unplugged my PL-518 and was very impressed.

My Pioneer was refurbished a year or so back and has performed very well for such an old table, but I have to say this D2 flat blew it out of the water. It may just be the luck of the draw, but I also own an SL-1700 (which I've yet to compare to the D2) and I'm officially sold on the old Technics tables. For the money (paid $100 for the 1700 a few months ago- also on EB) I think they're very hard to beat.

Plan to pass the 518 along to my son- never thought I'd be saying that.

Claude Rorabaugh   AudioPhile [Oct 26, 2010]

The Technics SLD2 is a very nice turntable for ripping vinyl. I also have a very nice Project table with an Oyster Blue Point cart, but it takes so much time to change and balance cartridges that a simple direct drive with changeable cartridges for archival purposes was in order. It's easy to change head shell cartridges, balance and set anti-skate on this table.

For the older Technics I now have three head shells and three carts for various needs. A Shure M92E eliptical for all around normal LP playing, a Shure SC35 for those old records that need to be tracked deep, and a another Oyster with a conical, for ok to fair disks.

The Blue Point stays on the big Project turntable with the speed box in the main living room set up.

Other than no quart lock for the speed control, I like the table. I had an SL1200 but traded it for part of a payment on other gear. I replaced it with a Pioneer belt drive, but when I saw this little unit, I went back to direct drive - because pitch control is very helpful when working in restoration.

Rumble on a virgin disk is about 65 db down - very good since LP's have no more than a 40 db dynamic range. Belt drive players are about 60 db down.

I have made some modifications:

First replaced the ground wire and the RCA interconnects with better "wire."

I have not modified the plinth, but have the tables feet on a piece of ceramic tile and then on 1" foam on my work space. My wife made a nice vinyl cloth cover as the clear plastic piece was shot.

So sonically it is very good, an in fact comparing my Project RPM 61.1 same record to the Technics, it's very close. I like the brightness of the Shure cartridge over the Blue Point! A $60 cart that sounds as good as a $600 unit.

Anyway my Preamp is the Emotiva USP1 in the den, which is hooked up to my PC. I use a simple Berhringer USB audio interface into my WinXP PC and Adobe Audition for sound recording and editing.

Cheers!

Dirk   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 2010]

good for the price
great sound, even better with a good cartridge
sure its plastic, but remember the ones around today are over 30 years old and have held up
honestly, what can you buy today that will last 30 years? nothing....

so enjoy, if you find one at a reasonable price, buy one

Old Rusty   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 21, 2010]

Scored this direct-drive beauty from a second-hand store for $20. Underneath 22 years of grime & dirt lay one magnificent sounding turntable. Soundstage is very deep, precise, & nicely detailed. Excellent mid-range and very clear & open top-end, with pianos & horn sections sounding just right. Bass response very tight & punchy, with bass guitars nicely rendered. I love this turntable for jazz & classical music, as it seems to make that type of music really shine. Stability of speed is very, very good. All in all, a really nice turntable, which apparently can be tweaked to sound even better.

shhh...listen   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 29, 2009]
Strength:

Speed is very stable. Decent tonearm

Resonant base (plinth) and platter somewhat lightweight.

I have owned the SL-D2 since I bought it new in 1979. It has performed flawlessly.
Not a top of the line for sure but a very decent performer for your average Joe the plumber. Since I also own a Technics SL-1400 which is direct offshoot of the famous SL-1200s, I will compare the two. Yes, the SL-D2 in not made for DJ use. It is aimed for home use. It has a plastic top plinth instead of metal like the 1400. The platter isn't as massive but the motor and tonearm seem to be essentially the same. I don't think that there is a significant difference in sound quality between the two. A couple of simple mods can help either turntable: 1. apply some sort of damping like plasti-clay to the underside (inside) of the turntable to reduce motor vibrations from reaching the tonearm and 2. experiment with different record mats.

Similar Products Used: Technics SL-1400
Rega P2
  Audio Enthusiast [Dec 21, 2003]
Strength:

GREAT SOUNDING TURNTABLE-DIRECT DRIVE-SEMI AUTOMATIC OPERATION-GREAT CUEING MECHANISM.

NOW THAT THE STROBE SPEED IS CURED,NOTHING AT ALL.

I bought this turntable way back in the late 70's and it is still playing great.I was going to buy a new direct drive turntable because i was having a problem with the speed drifting really bad,it just would not stay locked in.I read another review of this turntable,and he said to spray the strobe locking mechanism with some contact cleaner,which i did.Now it plays like the day i bought it.I just installed a new audio technica cartridge,and my old record collection of about 100 lp's never sounded better.This is not a high end turntable like the SL-1200 that the DJ'S use,but for home use i think it might last another 25 years.What a bargin.

Similar Products Used: NONE-THIS IS THE ONLY TURNTABLE I EVER OWNED.
Gary   AudioPhile [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Rock solid speed, dead nuts on. Zero variation of strobe walk. Set it and play away. Cheap as dirt used now. Not as nice looking as a Pioneer, but every bit as good. Accepts the Pioneer screw-on, 4-pin headshell, easily, which looks a little nicer actually.

This one had a broken RCA jack, and was only playing out of one channel, which is most likely why I got it so cheap, and why it was retired at one time. Easy fix though.

I've been spinning vinyl for around 35 years. Own 2 other Pioneer turntables and 2 other Technics turntables. They are all belt drive. Saw this at a friends garage, said he'd take $10 for it, brought it home. Left side didn't work, turned out to be a bad RCA connector. Found it by removing the bottom, and checking both cables with a cheap Radio Shack multimeter I have. Took the connector apart, the center wire was broken off the solder on the plug end. Cut it off, spliced a new connector on. Presto. Plays great. It had a cheapo needle/cart on it, so I plugged in the high-end headshell/cart/needle assembly from my "best" table, a Pioneer PL-516. Guess what, every bit as good sound as any of my other turntables. AND GET THIS, MUCH MORE STABLE on the speed than my other tables. Rock solid actually. The belt drive tables I have walk around pretty much, and will never be rock solid. Also the belts melt away after 5+ years, esp. if stored in hot attics, etc. And belts aren't cheap, either. I consider myself a low-end audiophile. This fills the bill nicely. Having a good ear, and can hear things in music most others can't, this is a great turntable. Will most likely be selling all but 1 of my other belt drive turntables now, no need for them, that's just how good this is.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer PL-516, 2 other Technics, one other Pioneer.
Kris   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 14, 2003]

To the guy above me, Please never write a review agian, Thanks. I picked this up for really cheap at a flea market, no problems with it, except it sends an especially quite signal to my amp, I think it might be loose phono cable, or the needle. Other than that these tables are great for me, wouldnt pay over $35 for them though