Gemini-Sound XL-500 TurnTables

XL-500

DIRECT DRIVE DJ TURNTABLE SLIDER STYLE PITCH

riffraph   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 13, 2007]
Strength:

great for beginers

none if you know how use them or read the book with them or just experiment a little

their pretty good for a beginer, all though im not any more . but i would not knock um .they are good for anyone just starting out. and as for mr glory boy up there its okay if everyone seems to want to spin today,atleast their paying us attention so good for you, if you think your original its been going on since the 1980s big deal

Customer Service

none

Similar Products Used: stanton
Paul   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 05, 2004]
Strength:

A fine basic home turntable or DJ turntable for basic mixing (not heavy scratching). Has a heavy duty, strong motor, good brake. Tracks well, needle stays planted.

Lack of quartz-lock, some plasticky parts. Not the best choice for heavy scratching and turntablism -- but very few turntables are really good for that.

It seems that everyone wants to be scratch DJ these days, which requires a certain type and grade of equipment (not to mentions lots of skill). But not every DJ needs to scratch, and not everyone buying a DJ turntable needs to scratch, either. I've used this turntable in a home stereo and it has performed admirably and flawlessly in that capacity. For its price it far outperforms similar so-called hi-fi turntables made by Sony, Pioneer, Aiwa, etc. While nobody will mistake it for a higher-end Rega or Linn, it beats the pants off of most piles of plastic that you can get for less than $200. It's a remarkably quiet turntable, especially for a direct drive. And it tracks like a champ on all but the most warped LPs. Soundwise, it's pretty neutral, with decent, but not spectacular dynamics. The turntable itself is pretty heavy duty, with enough plastic to remind you it's no $400 'table. The motor is powerful and the stop brake is pretty damn fast. However, one should note that the motor will cause a slight hum in more sensitive, less shielded cartridges. I mounted a Grado Green, and it would hum a bit especially on the inner grooves. It wasn't particularly noticeable, but I still replaced it with a more shielded Stanton DJ cart. I've also used this 'table for light-duty DJ work. It's a fine performer for doing straight-up part or dance DJ work, where all you need to do is segue songs and do a little beat matching. Back-queing is easy and the needle stays planted in the groove. The brake makes it simple to find the start of the song (or the beat) and get the record cued up quickly. The biggest defecit for me is the lack of quartz-lock. In general the XL500 holds its speed really well, but I typically have to adjust it a little right when I power it up for the first time. Then I usually don't have to touch the speed for hours of play. The strobe comes in hand for this, making proper speed setting a snap -- just try that on your plastic belt-drive Sony. Overall, this is a great turntable for someone looking to get back into vinyl with their home stereo, or DJs doing basic mixing duties with little scratching or turntablism. It beats just about every 'table in its price class, whether they're home or DJ 'tables.

Similar Products Used: Onkyo turntable, Technics 1200s, Project 1.2
PAUL MILLER   AudioPhile [Feb 07, 2003]
Strength:

STURDY TECHNICS LOOKALIKES WITH QUICK START BUTTON.MY FIRST SET OF DECKS BEFORE I UPGRADEDE TO TECHNICS AND THEY ARE WELL RECOMENDED.

A LITTLE TRICKY FOR SCRATCHING BECAUSE OF THE TONEARM WHICH MAKES IT JUMP AND THE TORQUE ISNT THE BEST BUT ALOT BETTER THAN THE NUMARK 1510s(ANOTHER BEGINNER TABLE)

I HONESTLY THINK SOME OF YOU HAVE BEEN A LITTLE BIT HARSH HERE!THESES DECKS ARE PRETTY STURDY AND FOR A BEGINNER THESE ARE PROBABLY THE BEST DECKS YOU COULD GET AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE.SCRATCHING IS QUITE TRICKY WITH THE TONEARM BUT NOT EVERYONE ARE SCRATCH DJ'S!FOR HOUSE AND TRANCE DJ'S THESE ARE IDEAL.BEAT MATCHING IS A BIT HARDER THAN TECHNICS ON(OBVIOUSLY)AND IF YOU CANT BEAT MATCH ON THESE THEN I SUGGEST BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!!

Similar Products Used: THESE ARE TECHNICS LOOKALIKES
Jonathan   AudioPhile [Sep 15, 2002]

There are multiple problems with this Gemini product. Not only is beatmatching near impossible, due to the torque problems, but scratching is far too sensative. The exaggerated S-Shaped tonearm and cartridge placement make phrasing and grooving difficult. The needles jump far too much. I would say that they're decent tables for beginners who don't wish to get into scratching or the hobby too seriously, however, for those who really wish to tackle this art fully should avoid these tables and get yourself some nice Stanton or Techniques decks. Wurd.

ETIENNE GELE   AudioPhile [Jun 04, 2002]
Strength:

THER CHEAP TABLES TO LEARN ON THEY WORK

MAGNITE VIBRATION

I LOVE TO SPIN I JUST TAUGHT MY SELF HOW TO SCRATCH I LEARNED ON 1200 THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH MY 500 R THE PITCH CONTROL IS HARDER TO MATCH BEATS AND THE SHOCK ON THE NEEDLES LOOSE YOUR CUE

Similar Products Used: 1200
Chris Miller   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

It's an affordable direct drive turntable that has performed solidly for about six months

Slow starting, pitch bend buttons are useless.

I like these turntables. They fit in my meager budget and they perform pretty well. The XL-500II is no top-of-the-line piece of equipment. It is slow to start and the pitch bend buttons are sketchy at best. But for $150-$200 each, I think they are pretty solid. If you are a beginner DJ, these are good. If you want to take it to the next level, save up for a while and buy yourself a Technics 1200.

Similar Products Used: Technics 1200, Gemini PT-2000
Nick Brunt   Audiophile [Mar 19, 2001]
Strength:

Feather touch start/stop button, decent torque

pitch bend is a little hard to get used to

I love gemeni products, but this table is super affordable and the feather touch start/stop makes beat-matching a little easier. Anyone who wants to start getting serious about DJing should check this one out.

Similar Products Used: Gemeni XL-400 Gemeni PT-2410 (ecstacy model)
Joe   Casual Listener [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

I'm sellin! Read my review summary!

I'm selling the gemini scratch master direct drive package (2 500xl tables with mixer) with sony MDR 7506 headphones and a gemini battle box

I purchased all this stuff for over $550. I barely used it. I learned I'm not a DJ. Now it is sitting in my apartment nicely stowed away in the closet. This stuff is mint. The only thing you'll need to replace are the needles. I guess I wore the original set out and never bothered to use them after that. If you are looking to buy and want tables that are basically brand new. Look no further. $400 obo. Email me-- whitethunder10@hotmail.com

CHRIS MARINO   an Audio Enthusiast [Jun 07, 1999]

GEMINI XL-500 DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE PRICED AT $229.99, FEATHER TUCH STOP/START

Julio Gonzalez   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 27, 1999]

These turntables are solid. The anti-skate feature is excellent and the value for the price is very high. My one real negative is the delay; you'll need EXCELLENT slipmats for these. At $500 for two tables and a mixer, the price is great for serious DJ work. The Technic 1200 is still king, but, for a hungry up-and-comer with shallow pockets, the XL-500 Scratchmaster set is the way to go.