Yamaha RX-497 Receivers

• Low-Impedance Drive Capability
  • XM Satellite Radio Ready
  • Multi-Zone Control Capability

Jim Hesketh   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 26, 2009]

Very nice, well laid out 2 channel stereo reciver. Well built, with the only fault I could find is that it does not show any kind of sound level when you lower or raise the volume. Minor detail, but most recievers provide that visual feedback. The sound is very detailed, and has an input for a turntable.

Yamaha did a good job with this 2 channel reciever. At 75 WPC is has enough power to drive moderate power hungry speakers. You can't go wrong if you choose the RX 497.

OVERALL
KevinQ   Casual Listener [May 23, 2006]
Strength:

Simple machine, great warm sound. Phono input. A remote control that is smaller than a breadbox.

It would be nice to have an I-pod input, or at least the ability to change the name of the input on the screen.

I'm not an audiophile. However, I like listening to music and I just couldn't take another day with crappy Sony bookshelf system (buyer beware: even my Japanese wife thinks Sony sucks these days). Anyway, I bought the RX-497 receiver and am completely happy with it. The simplicity of it is refreshing, it's not the Maranz I had years ago, but the layout is free from the baroque. I like listening to my Technics MK turntable with it in a dimmed room, they both have a nice glow to them. Sound wise, I bought Bose Acoustic mass 5 III speakers along with the reciever and they work well together. Great range, great definition - I listened to Kraftwerk's "Computer World" on vinyl for my sytem's maiden voyage - Holy crap what a difference! So that's my review. I figured I owed Audioareview a review because the site was very helpful in my research. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will do the next review . .

Customer Service

J&R Music was great. I went to te store and got a much better price on both the speakers and receiver than on their internet site.

OVERALL