Yamaha HTR-5590 Receivers

HTR-5590

5-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver.

Mark Fecera   Audio Enthusiast [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

P*O*W*E*R

No viable ones yet, I haven't read the maunel, but some stuff isn't working yet.

I just bought this receiver 2 days ago and hooked it up to my new Bose Accoustimass 6 Series III speakers. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Fricken Rocks! This thing had the ability to Suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro.

william   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

tons of power crisp sound great price

none

I am only 14 years old. i have surround sound i my bedroom and i love it. the first reciever that i had was an old sony that only had prologic and the amplifier must have been clipped because there was an unbearable amount of static even at the lowest volume levels. i shopped around for a good three months while saving up money i found this one and i fell in love. it has an amazing amount of power 100x6 plus every decoder that is avaible. the power is to much for my bedroom. a definate get for any size room.

Similar Products Used: none
cap893536   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 30, 2003]
Strength:

Well built. Clean open sound. Learning remote. Powerful - I doubt anyone would need more power (6x100) than this unit has unless you are using very inefficient speakers or have an extremely large listening room.

No preamp outputs even though Yamaha advertises that is does.

Looked and listened to Denon, Sony ES, Onkyo. The Yamaha seemed to offer the most bang for the buck. Very clean open sound. Yamaha's DSPs are the better than anyone other manufacturers. Very good 2 channel stereo sound - very important to me as I do most listening in the 2 channel stereo mode.

Similar Products Used: Sony STR-DA333ES, Onkyo TX-SR600, Denon AVR-2802 and AVR-3803.
RfosterIII   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 14, 2003]
Strength:

Ease of operation,Variety of soind fields, custom sound fields, assigned outputs, Test generator, variable delays for all speakers!! Strong support system established for easy repair work when needed.

Bass is a bit soft but I use a sub. Manual could be better written. It leaves out many product benefits for the unexperienced users

For the money one has to look far and wide to find a better AV Receiver. Yamaha has gone to the limits with this little beauty. The easy to use remote that will learn anything is a plus. The receiver was unpacked and playing beautiful in less than 10 minutes. The sound fields are surpurb. The power is more than enough for those with neighbors. The DSP options are top notch. I searched and researched and could not find another receiver that offered as much as the 5590. Give this baby a whirl. You will not be dissapointed with your music or movies. For under $500.00 one just cant go wrong!!

Similar Products Used: Harman Kardon, Onyko, Yamaha
Mark   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 18, 2003]
Strength:

Great power and cinima modes for movies,quality amp.

Mis-advertised saying pre-outs for each channel..has none. Store price a bit high.

I first bought this reciever at bestbuy without shopping around on the internet for way to much. Anyway, I found that the power and movie modes were great...lots of dynamic headroom when needed. However,I found that the lack of pre-outs for each channel a big drawback for I like to use a rear sub for surrounds.It is misleading of Yamaha to advertise this unit having pre-outs when it has none. That said I ended up returning the reciever and found the Yamaha rx-2300 with 110 watts per channel for $665 (normally $1000) with the same features AND full pre-outs for each channel. A much better deal at a better price. Still,this reciever will be fine for most people.

Similar Products Used: Sony,panasonic ect.....
Robby Betty   Casual Listener [Feb 18, 2003]
Strength:

All surround formats included. Sound quality is very good.

Inteli Volume when you switch audio sources like DVD , Cable, Tape would be a pus.

I did a lot of research on internet and found this to be best receiver for the features available. The Dolby digital and the surround modes are fantastic. This is a nice receiver in this price range. Also this gives more inputs than any similar one.

Similar Products Used: My friend bought a Onkyo SR700 and still waiting to hear that system.
mrdavey103   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2003]
Strength:

0.04% distortion rating, sound quality.

The bass response is a little weak, but with the bass extension on, and a little adjustment of the bass control, it is ok.

Okay, I have only had it, the HTR-5590, for a week. No complaints! And I am very picky. I could afford way more, but I cant justify it. I cannot imagine what more a stereo could do. This thing is awesome. Great sound, power is great, tuner brings in good stations. The sound quality is unreal. So far so good!! And the remote is fine, does everything and will learn anything, will easily learn buttons if there isn't a manufacturer code programed.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like this, but I hhave been listening to quality sound for over a decade.
Tony Krstinovski   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 29, 2003]
Strength:

Power Sound Options Available Connections

Really none at all.

Did tons of research, and after my head stopped spinning I brought a Kenwood v6070, not bad at all - just not of enough of options for my taste. Found out about the Yamaha and went back to best buy and gave it a try, and I must say I was truely impressed. The sound has more pop, and clairity - it even made my cheap speakers sound better then the Kenwood did! If your in the market for a new receiver and you're not quite sure what to get - I really would go with this product it's great for the money (if you don't made speading a little more). Tons of options and features and you'll be able to connect almost anything. Plus it's very powerful much more then the Kenwood.

Similar Products Used: Kenwood 6070.
dan jones   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 25, 2003]
Strength:

great sound, great decoding,ample input outputs

no easy set up feature yamaha should ask you where your speakers are in relation to your sitting position, example FEET away from and adjust sound field for you without a chart to go by i never feel like i got it right

y second yamaha A/V reciever my first was A 2nd from top rxv-2090 it came out on the fringe of home theatre it had a excelent amp but a little out of date as far as home theatre decoding beeing its based on 5 channels not 5.1 knowing i needed a updated after hearing my girl friends get this! 300$ home theatre in a box i realized while my 2090 sounded better the timming was better on her cheep system . Still I am surprised at how much better the HTR-5590 sounded my first dolbly digital movie blew my mind don't forget i had a 1500$ 1995 model yamaha witch was very good too