Sansui G-9000 Receivers

G-9000

Vintage Receiver. 160 watts per channel RMS no more than .02% THD @ 8 ohms.

Jim Wilson   Audio Enthusiast [May 25, 2016]

Bought mine in Japan in the late '70's, and still have it. Kids and Grandkids have all relished in the wall pounding sound of pure DC power, pegging the analog meters, and just the sheer awesomeness of this thing.. By far and away the best stereo I've ever owned.

jon stokes   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 17, 2015]

I bought this Sansui G9000 receiver new in 1980 at a high end electronics shop I paid over 1000 dollars for it a huge sum at the time, long story short its 2015 and still have it. As far as stereo related items this was my best purchase ever, I still love turning it on and watching this beauty fire up. I kept good care of it still looks new and works perfectly. I can't sat enough about these receivers, a good friend was a Marantz guy but after seeing and hearing my Sansui he was a believer. Over the years I considered selling it once or twice glad I didn't .

ray walker   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 13, 2011]

i am looking to buy but iv seen them for less. Overseas i got my reciver sansui g9000db in78 for $3OO IT GOT STOLEN. All the ones iv come acrose was in bad condision and the price was500-600 NO WAY! Looking for a fair price on one of the most used stereo on the army base all most every one got them one.i have been looking for that reciver for 5 years.in my mine i think at its time it is one of the best reciver that money can buy.STILL LOOKING.p.s-MY RATING 200%.

ray   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 18, 2011]

i had the sanui stereo reciver g9000db The sound was out thair. The power was grate for clubs and it mach up with most cllub speakers. Some times i mite use a eq. After my reciver got stollen on the way back from overseas I COUND NOT FINE ONE. NOW AS A DISABLE VET IHOPE I CAN FINE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER AT A DOWN TO EARTH PRICE. BECAUSE THAT WAS AND WILL BE THE BEST RECIVER I HAVE EVER WONTED TO BUY.MY RATING ON THAT RECIVER100% AND UP....

Lips   Casual Listener [Jul 19, 2006]
Strength:

Reliable, well built, plenty of functions, inputs, outputs and power. Smooth wieghted tuner knob.

Size

I am just here to gloat! :) Here's the story of my G9000. In the late 80's I used to work as a tech for my brother in-law at his audio/video repair shop and would sometimes be given busted old stuff like 4 channel receivers with a bad channel. I had moved on to a better job and was visiting him at his shop when a potentional customer lugged in a huge stereo. He said one channel was bad and is it worth fixing. My brother in-law said "Naw, cost to much to fix. Ain't worth it." So the guy asked if he wanted it. He didn't, so it was offered to me. I took a long while to decide because I, like my brother in-law, didn't realize what it was. So I finally said yes just because it looked cool and its power meters went up 300W. :) It was in near perfect shape too. Anyway I got it home and found that it really didn't have a problem becides dirty pots and switches. I am no audiofile but do have a good ear and this "box" is the so far the best I've heard. The power is nice but it's just a bonus that I don't really use. I've had it for around 10 years and have put it to use for maybe 50 hours. I'd like to get a lot of money for it but then I would just kick myself later for selling it.

Zeke   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 2004]
Strength:

160W (clean!) into 8 Ohms High quality construction Excellent FM stereo reception Beautiful when "powered up"

25 years old! (Noisy pots/switches) Very heavy -- not necessarily bad Quite large (room placement) Not likely to be found cheap

They just don't make them like this anymore! (Okay, they do, but today's MSRP on similar quality amplifiers/receivers is insane.) Essentially, the Sansui G9000DB -- my model -- delivers righteously clean power, beyond what the normal consumer will ever require, without breaking an electronic sweat. The analog tuner is of high quality, the pre-amp section is transparent, and even the most ineffecient speakers can be driven with ease. My G9000 is hooked to a set of vintage Alect Lansing "Fives" and a pair of old school Realistic Mach Ones: all refurbished. Without question, any sonic limitations here are from the vintage loudspeakers, not the amp. (Although I love the "vintage sound" of '70s gear, I'm certain today's high-end loudspeakers would have less coloration.) In any event -- getting back to the G9000 -- outrageous power, glorious sound reproduction, excellent FM reception, and tank-like construction are the mantra of the day. A thorough cleaning every few years, to eradicate scratchy pots and switches, and this monstrous beast will have you set! It far surpasses most "consumer electronics" available today. Original list price, in 1979, was ~$1,000.

Similar Products Used: MCS, Pioneer, Sanyo (vintage)
kenlloyds   Casual Listener [Nov 21, 2003]
Strength:

sound reproduction ,looks,quality & POWER!

will ruin your back

A blast from the past! I love just looking at this beast. I remember seeing these @ the PX overseas but couldn't swing the $1000. While surfing eBay this one caught my eye. Absolutely mint orig. owner buy it now for $125 !! Done deal. The seller was close by so I was able to pick it up. Good thing it weighed 60 lbs! Horsepower? 160 watts per channel. After hooking it up the left channel was DOA. A little Deoxit sprayed in the tone switch & presto no worries. The next event was accidental while powering it up after my daughter had played with the volume 'n left it @ max. Well, those speakers are in the dumpster. At any rate Im no audiophile but I couldn't be more impressed

artikulieren   AudioPhile [Oct 03, 2003]
Strength:

Accuracy, Clarity, Power, Quality, Looks, Functionability, etc...

ENORMOUS, Usually expensive, did I mention ENORMOUSLY HUGE?

This is the stuff you read about and think to yourself "does this EVER happen???" I'm a skeptic, bigtime, but I finally hit the jackpot. I am a long standing fan of the best receivers from the receiver wars of the 70's. I had owned most of them (besides a G9000 and SX1980) and have been happily using a mint 9090db, which replaced a rack of seperates that was worth roughly 15 grand, for some time now. So here's the story on the G9000... I went out to lunch with a gay friend in the gay district here in Chicago, and he wanted to stop at a resale (thrift) shop afterwards. I figured what the heck, hadn't been in one for many years so I went along. Upon entrance I saw a huge stack of old electronic equiptment, shelves full of all sorts of junk. As I drew closer I saw what appeared to be a G9000 or a big silver Pioneer, I peeled back a pile of beat up VHS machines and sure enough it was the filthiest G9000 I have ever seen (externally as I now know). It had 15 supermarket style gun dispensed pricetags on top all reading $16.00 (I thought $160 at first, and had already made the effortless decision to buy it immediately)... I decided to be funny and just nonchalantly ask if they would take $10 for it at the counter. The 20 year old or so clerk saw it as an old receiver, probably like the beat up Pioneer SX-828 his dad had in the basement, and agreed to take $10, plus tax, but with no return accepted. It came to a hefty $10.88, I had my friend wait by it as I fetched the car and laughed all the way home. Anxious to pit it up to my beloved mint condition 9090db I immediately, and lovingly began cleaning the G9000. It turns out the thing was mint minus two 1/4 dings in the edge of the woodgrain cabinet. It was filthy though, it took hours, a year's worth of Q-tips, and a case of beer... but what results. I can't believe I purchased a nearly mint G9000 for the price of a cheap lunch. So I set it up with my mint mirrored Dynaco a-25's for the first listen, and let me tell you. As much as I hate to admit it, this receiver blows the 9090db away in clarity, and the 9090db is better than any of the collections of seperates that I have ever had. This receiver for $10, or $1000, is in my opinion the best money can buy. True, I haven't owned an SX1980 Pioneer, but I have owned an SX1250 and I was not terribly impressed. Take my word and buy one of these if you can find one (they are not common). Cheers!

Similar Products Used: The thunderous voice of God, Sansui 9090db, Pioneer SX1250, Pioneer SX1980
Tom   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 27, 2003]

I have some work to do on my G-9000 before I'm in a position to write a review. The unit powers up, but with no sound. I've been told by an electronics repairman that it needs to have a transistor replaced in the amplifier circuit. He quoted me $200 to replace just this one this part! If anyone knows of a good place to find parts for these great old receivers, please fill me in. MrGlock2@satx.rr.com Thanks, Tom

Ray Kastner   AudioPhile [Jul 15, 2003]
Strength:

Not yet tested

Not yet tested

After purchasing the G-9000, I noticed that one of the channels did not function properly and I had it repaired (left pre-amp relais) and cleaned for further 120 €. The finish of the case was changed to a x-rare Thuja - Rootwood - veneer, which makes the unit a real eyecatcher. The front face has been restored (brushed,polished and scratches have been partially covered with a special foil).Now it looks not only better than new, it plays like new again. I´m really proud to have this rare piece of receiver. It once belonged to a US-Army - Officer, who lived in the Rhein-Area. These Sansui were mainly sold to US-Soldiers in Germany. They have not been officially imported to Germany by Sansui. Therefore it´s mega-rare.

Similar Products Used: 2 Marantz 2285B (US and European version)and a 2265B. Restored and in perfect shape.