Sansui 9090 Receivers

Sansui 9090 Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 16, 2018]
gordon

Strength:

the 9090db was bought new in 1979 in the east end of Toronto. this unit has never been opened or ever had a need for repair ( unlike my Marantz 2500 ) l would say the biggest feature is the incredible bottom end this receiver puts out, the 9090db is rated at 125rms per channel ( this is very conservative ). there is a Dolby tone and system on the db models and l would on occasion use it but l would here a slight whistle when the volume was heavily increased, so l stopped using it all together now. The one feature it does not have is a toroidal transformer which may or may not have increased its potential, if you see a mint one for sale please grab it, there is nothing like it for under a 1000 dollars. Interestingly enough l had found my receipt for the unit and it was purchased March 1 / 1978 for 1100 dollars Canadian. Just one last thing the lesser Sansui units have a vinyl case whereby the 9090 has a wood one. thank you for your time........gri

no toroidal transformer

1978
[Apr 17, 2016]
Rx7man
Audio Enthusiast

I am going to be a little more critical of this receiver than most, but don't take that to mean it's garbage, it has it's place.

This thing absolutely rocks when it comes to power output, and very few units out there short of being mono blocks will compete.. It's a great party animal and the whole block will know of it's presence.

Sound quality? well, when I compare it with my 3 marantz units (1060, 2220, 2275) I have to say I prefer the Marantz sound, but it is still worlds better than most 90's era pieces of garbage... Technics, Yamaha, etc.

I will say the circuit design is inferior in terms of layout, a lot of jumper wires, and resistors, etc soldered to the underside of a board, disassembly is miserable, there are far too few connectors, everything is hardwired, and often to remove one component board you have to remove several, A little more time spent in the design of it could have drastically helped here. My unit was seriously abused, and it didn't hold up to it all that well, there's a number of corroded copper traces that I've had to repair, and there are some that look like they were repaired before I got to them, perhaps even from the factory, it's impossible for me to tell.

[Jun 14, 2015]
Nick M
Audio Enthusiast

I bought mine appx 1 year ago, very much second hand. Serviced, but not restored. Has GOBS of power with my Klipsch Heresy 3 speakers. Very warm sound, GREAT low end and high end. I think it may color the sound a bit, but I prefer the sound to any of my other gear.

[Aug 08, 2012]
Tracy
Audio Enthusiast

I have a Sansui 9090 db that I've had since the1980's. It works great. But, I already have modern systems (Dolby 7.1) in my home. Anyone interested in buying one of these awesome receivers, shoot me an email.

tdhayes1@adelphia.net

[Jan 06, 2011]
dbx820
Audio Enthusiast

I picked up a very minty 9090 on Craigslist. This is a fantastic receiver. Warm and very powerful. I love the lights and the analog power meters. I have this in my man cave hooked up to some vintage JBL's and the sound is far superior to the the Parasound setup in my house. I would use this as a primary receiver in my house if it only had a remote volume control. I am in heaven in my man cave with a good cigar and whatever genre of music I desire to play from either my iPod or Onkyo SACD player. If you come across one--get it! You will not be disappointed and--hopefully like me--rediscover the nuances of music once again!

[Nov 19, 2010]
jdtravel
Audio Enthusiast

MY SANSUI 9090 HAS A CRACKLING SOUND NOW. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT TO DO? MY EMAIL IS JDTRAVEL@GMAIL.COM.

[Feb 15, 2010]
karister99
AudioPhile

This Sansui 9090db is a beast of a receiver from circa 77-79. This unit is a very high quality receiver born from the height of the receiver power war in the late 70's. These are very well built heavy awesome vintage, and they don't make anything like this anymore. This is a monster of a receiver with great warm sound to it, can handle anything you throw at them with ease. I love the old school analog VU meters and the well lited faceplate. If you ever come across anything in good condition, jump on it as it's hard to find these in good condition due to their age.

[Oct 26, 2008]
Glen
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Deep rich sound typical of high power 1970s receivers
Sound is full even at very low volume levels, something you don't get with new recievers.
Relatively inexpensive compared to modern big box recievers which are feature rich but sound poor
Made in Japan
Since this is the NON db version, there is no obsolete dolby circuitry that is prone to breakdown.

Minor Weakness:
Lack of a remote control. Fortunately, the Roku includes a remote, which does allow me to stay seated for longer periods of time - which in turn gives me more time to stuff down potato chips and swill beer.

Functionality limitation:
Vintage audio is not convenient to use with a 5 speaker home theatre set up. I have a coupe of other vintage amps hooked up to drive the rear and centre channels. The DVD player includes the DSP and offers 5 channel analogue outputs. Sound is great, but the inconvenience of adjusting the speaker volumes would be unacceptable for most users.

I own two of these receivers, both in perfect blemish free cosmetic and mechanical condition. #1, from Ebay in 2003, (U$275) #2 from Ebay during 2006 (C$500). One sits in the living room and is hooked up to a Roku (radioroku.com) which is linked to the mp3s on my office PC and to about 10,000 radio stations via the web. The second unit is part of my home theatre set up.

The sound quality is simply phenomenal. For that single reason, I strongly recommend these vintage receivers.

Sansui 881, a smaller but phenomenal Sansui receiver, only $100

[Mar 28, 2007]
Brian9090
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Crystal clear highs and mid-range. If you previously had a newer econo-box stereo, you'll hear things in your old cd's you didn't even know were there. Tight bass even on my cheap Mach Ones. They are known for having "muddy" bass already, the Sansui 9090 cleared that problem up. Despite what you were taught in the 80's, a hundred and ten watts of clean power is LOUD. Most newer stereos give you a maxium rating that just isn't true. Obvious excellent build quality. Everything looks and feels sturdy. Looks like it could actually drop a short distance and survive! Lots of buttons and knobs to tweak the sound if you wish.

Well geeze, I can't think of much besides the obvious. It's BIG and HEAVY. It's OLD, so it's going to be tough to get it repaired. It does have a "dated" look after all it is actually from the 70's. I prefer it by far to newer blackface models myself. Lots of "unecessary" dials and buttons might be confusing to some. Accidental volume increase could cause heart attacks for the elderly. :)

I'd bought my Sansui 9900Z in my early 20's but was never quite happy with it. I'd always though it was mostly the speakers (Realistic Mach Ones). Sounded muffled at low volumes with "muddy" bass. They didn't start sounding "good" 'til I put about 100 watts to 'em. Well it just died. ANOTHER output transformer, the last was $275 to fix. Time to look for something else....
I found it wasn't the brand, it was the year of it. I read th 70's era ones were supposed to be better. After arguing the wisdom of buying an OLDER receiver with my wife, I found a Sansui 9090 on craigslist for only $225. After hooking it up, I found how wise of a buy it really was. WOW (you'll heard this alot in the 9090 & 9090db reviews) it was a whole different stereo. The same ol' Mach Ones were suddenly crisp and bright sounding! Even at low volumes. The drums sounded like...well...drums, instead of the muffled thump it used to be. Although the newer 9900Z was rated at 160wpc I'd regularly would turn it up half volume. My "new" older 9090 (rated at a true 110wpc) was almost frightening at that level! I'm sold. I'll never buy a "new" stereo again.

Sansui 9900Z 160wpc (1980-82 I believe). It was a Sansui - but not even close
Scott 120wpc (around same era). Crap. Had a major breakdown within 2 yrs of ownership.

[Feb 18, 2004]
bachandel
Casual Listener

Strength:

Power, accuracy, balance, musicality...all for a price that's shockingly low!

The thing is HUGE and not too pretty. It won't impress your friends (until they listen), and will become an issue with your spouse. Perhaps *most critically*, these vintage units are easy to damage in shipping, and many are misrepresented by owners who just picked them up at a garage sale or who want to sweep sonic issues under the rug. So, the biggest problem is getting one in perfect working order into your hands. I would strongly suggest paying the extra bucks on ebay or wherever to buy from someone with the HIGHEST reputation. Don't ever buy "as-is". Always get a guarantee that it'll work as stated when you receive it. Or, buy one locally that you can test. Be willing to drive the distance for it...it'll be the last time you'll need to hassle with amplification!

This receiver just killed all my desire to join the audioholics upgrade ratrace. For the price of a cheapo NAD integrated, I've got sound that rocks anything under $1000, maybe more! I've been all over the audio map before. Starting with an NAD 304 after reading Stereophile, I went on to many other sources of amplification. I was into semi-vintage Marantz gear from the 80's, exotic European integrateds from Ensemble, Sugden, Exposure, Naim, high-powered American separates from Krell, Threshold, Spectral, Coda, Motif, some really lovely tube gear from Conrad Johnson and Audio Research, then back down to real-world components from Jolida, McCormack and Llano. OK, if you're like me and just want to find a nice comfortable place to settle down for the rest of your life, then the Sansui 9090 is just about the best place I have found so far. It has power and grace, dynamics and clarity, and musicality galore. It can be outdone in each category by one component or another, and it can be totally outclassed if you have a 2nd mortgage and the will to use it. But for $150, this brick from the 70's just blows 95% of the competition out of the water. I can't praise it enough. And on top of a killer amp, it has an amazing tuner section that no modern tuner section from a receiver can touch. This thing is built like a granite tabletop, and it should outlive every piece of plastic in your audio rack. Furthermore, I think the 9090 in particular is extra special. I'm going to rant and rave about other vintage receivers from the late 70's in other audioreview reviews. But at least right now, I think the 9090 edges out some stiff competition. I have the 9090db which has more power, but maybe the one I have is not quite as powerful-sounding in the punchy and accurate bass dynamics, matched with balanced mids and highs. I also have the legendary Marantz 2270, which is possibly smoother and more musical in the mids and highs. Also, the 2270 has unstoppable bass that booms and thumps and kicks you in the chest. But the 9090 seems significantly more accurate. Much as I *like* the 2270, the 9090 is the keeper if I had to make a choice. Lastly, I had a Pioneer SX-850 which I really enjoyed. It was good enough so that I want to get the SX-1250 beast to compare to the 9090. But if the sound is along the lines of the 850, I know I'll love the luscious highs and beefy lows of the 1250. It'll be everything I like about those old tube amps from CJ. But perhaps it'll be a bit too warm and fuzzy. I'm not sure. For now, the 9090 is the one for me.

Sansui 9090db Marantz 2270 Sansui 7070 Sansui 7000 Philips 7851 Pioneer SX-850