Sansui 7070 Receivers

How

[Nov 13, 2012]
stan armstrong
Audio Enthusiast

I own a 7070 and have for 33 years. I have original box and packing. All manuals and original warranty stickers and tabs. The thing is fantastic. After 32 years I resoldered the F board to the mother board. The right channel had been cutting out intermittantly. I read lots of reviews on this problem and cold solder joints were a common problem on this bad boy. So I downloaded the technical schematics and repair manual and resoldered many of the joints on the mother board holding the other circuitry boards. After that it worked flawlessly. The right channel stopped cutting out the lights on the front panel stopped the sometimes on sometimes off syndrome. No more problems. I won't sell it for any price. The cabinet is in excellent shape and I have taken excellent care of it. I had to replace the antennae mount which had broken. I have extra panel bulbs just in case one burns out. Everything works fine. I play a dual 521 turntable alot and it plays these records just great. I you have one of these keep it.

[Oct 07, 2012]
Vishal sharma
Audio Enthusiast

haii guys i also have one sansui stereo receiver 7070.which my my father buy in 1980.it give such nice sound right now days i connect this stereo with my pc.i am really proud well to my father as well this product.if somebody need this contact me @ 0141-2568439 jaipur India.

[Jun 08, 2011]
Stan
Audio Enthusiast

I bought this sansui 7070 in 1979. Have had it ever since. The only problem I had was some cold solder joints on the main driver board. I downloaded the repair manual off internet for free and made the soldering
connections that were bad. The face lights would go off and on intermittantly. Just resoldered the main solder joints and that problem stopped right now. The right and left channel audio would work intermittantly so the resoldering of the main driver board joints fixed that problem right now also. I have four speakers hooked up to channel a and b and the thing sounds fantastic. Lots of power and all functions work perfectly. It has been meticulously maintained and I even have the original box with original packing. I saw one on e-bay for $250. but mine put it to shame. I wouldn't sell it for 500. The junk electronic receivers made now days wouldn't hold a candle to this receiver. I give it a 5+.

[Jan 26, 2011]
Mike Halvorsen
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my Sansui 7070 in 1977 at the US Army PX in Hanau Germany, along with two Sansui SP-X7000 speakers. I stll have them in my living room to this day...and they still sound as good as the day I purchased them. Thank God I own my home, so the neighbors cannot have me evicted for playing my music too loud...Although my wife makes me turn it down when I get too carried away with Led Zeppelin...It was built like a tank and has an amplifier that, i swear to God, you could weld with it! It was rated at 60 wpc@ 8ohms w/.01% thd...and that was VERY conservative!!! I'll never part with it.

[Sep 26, 2010]
karister99
AudioPhile

This little brother of almost look-a-like to the more power packed 9090db is a awesome receiver. I'm using both and they both perform flawless, they can pretty much drive any load with ease. This one is throwing a very broad and detailed sound-stage and a very soothing to listen to. The sound comes from this little receiver is top notch, it sure rivals my much expensive separates. The difference between the 9090 and the 7070 to me is the wattage factor 125 vs 65 and speaker connections, latter one has only two vs three. I think if you find any of these models in decent condition at a reasonable price, jump on it and you'll never regret. As these units came out at the prime time of receiver war between major players, and Sansui still hold it's place as a premier player with no doubt.

[Oct 03, 2009]
Sal Mosca
Audio Enthusiast

I purchased my Sansui 7070 on eBay. I always wanted Sansui just because I loved the way my Dad's Sansui 6 sounded. I took it to a guy in Temecula for servicing. He cleaned it up, replaced a few bulbs and and did some adjustments. This receiver is amazing. I just recently got into vintage. Prior to owning this unit I was buying digital equipment like Denon, Adcom, etc. - and there's nothing wrong with it. But what it would take to achieve the same sound and power as the older solid state systems would cost a fortune. The Sansui, along with my Sansui SP2000's and Bose 301's is the perfect system. If there was anything negative to say about this unit it would be the cabinet. This was the first year that they put some wood-looking laminate over the wood. What I did was peel it off carefully and then put on a coat of quality wood varnish. This receiver is now in museum condition. I couldn't be happier.

[Apr 10, 2009]
vitalxs
Audio Enthusiast

I am certainly driven by all the reviews that I can't agree more with. I bought my Sansui 7070 along with Pioneer CS-99s speakers from an audiophile who was moving out of state for $200 all. This was and still is the best deal I ever had in money/satisfaction rating. Later on, I bought Pioneers HPM-100s (200W version) andf I have to say that those compare to CS-99a are weak - over exadurated lows, no mids and overexadurated highs. CS-99a are just perfect for this amp - you will be blown away by the power, clarity and balance! However, I found that powering both CS-99as and HPM-100s does yield good listening results! HPMs emphesise JBL soft low end, where CS-99as, compensate for everything else.
In any case, if I had to chose, I would go with CS-99a in a heartbeat over HPM-100s! Now, I have also Sony ES-555 reciever with Boston Acoustics 6 speakers and I have to say that in sound reproduction - ther is nothing that compares to this Sansui! I am not even mentioning that Sony went out in less then 6 mo and had to be fixed, but aside from this the raw power of the Sansiu is simply incredible and is percieved much better than Sony's ES seris amops that cost a fortune. Same goes for speakers. I think in this generation we have all being cheated with this 6 channel that, THX this - all of it is to fool us and get more money for less. This Sansui and Pioneer CS-99as are proof of it. A friend of mine told me that he had not heard anything like this combo (Sansui 7070 and Pioneer CS-99a) in less then $5K range...and I would agree with him.
I can only assume that 8080 and 9090 would sound just as good but with more power, though this amp is has more than enough power already! It literally lights up my 1500sf business office's with music effortlessly!
Just the other day I had an opportunity to comare it to 2000 Onkyo TX-DS777 (105x5 channels) and what a difference! It is simply sad that most of this generation will never find out how much they have been cheated...

[Jan 23, 2009]
chuck
AudioPhile

Strength:

Quality, Tuner Sensitivity, Inputs

NONE

I have had this for a while now. I have heard some other stereo receivers before and they no where compare to the Sansui 7070. i was amazed at how well it picked up channels on a short antenna. I hooked up a TV amplified antenna to it and i get stations right across the board and it helps when you live out in the country away from all the radio stations. i also like how many inputs it has.if you are a real music fanatic and you really like to get the power on with some good quality sound this stereo is right for you. you should because i have one i and i absolutely adore the thing. it is the best that i could of gotten. if was given to me by my father and i am glad he did. Well hope you buy one. it is worth the money.

[Feb 06, 2007]
Jeroen Smink
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Cristal clear sound, enough power, nice design.

Small volume knob, bad loudness switch, display lights

This is my second 7070, had one earlier but sold it because I needed
the money. Glad I have it back because of the very nice sound qualities
and the good seventies analogue design.