Pioneer SX-6 Receivers

SX-6

Computer Controlled Stereo Receiver

kreilly76   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 02, 2010]

I bought a used sx-6 in 1989 for $250 and have used and am still using to this day. It produces great sound and is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. I have two DCM speakers and all my stero equipment hooked up to it and I wouldn't trade anything for my sx-6. It was made back when equipment was made with balls.

jg   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 06, 2009]

Bought this thing for college in 1982 and it is still going strong and still works like new. Sound quality is outstanding. Yes, the volume is hard to set because it goes in discreet steps, not in a continuous adjustment. If you can find one on ebay for less than $20, and want some great sounding retro equipment, get it. Bought it for $250 in 1982, so I've enjoyed it for less than $10/yr. An absolute steal.

bigtank   AudioPhile [Sep 08, 2009]

I have a SX-6 and it is great. I would have never know it to only be 45 watts per channel if i would have not read it. I have two bose speakers hooked up to it and my Ipod playing through it with its aux RCA input. I have the loudest system in my fraternity house by far and the best sounding. My dad bought this receiver when he was in college and now i have it through my college days. It holds up well to make it through two generations of college parties!

Strengths -- Inputs are great, extremely low THD, tuner, durability, and weight.

Weaknesses-- push button volume, and only a 2 band EQ

jgmacv   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 20, 2008]
Strength:

Durability and sound quality.

Build quality not as good as earlier pioneer models, much more plastic that breaks easily.

The Pioneer SX-6 is a 45 wpc stero receiver. These models were produced between 1981-1983, and was part of Pioneer's "Champaign/Gold" series. The receiver is computer controlled, some of the first receivers to be fully synthesized and digitally controlled. I find the SX-6 to hold up well. My particular receiver works properly and has good clarity and pretty good low end punch, for a 45 wpc receiver. After doing research on this model, it appears the SX-6 also incorporated the "non-switching amplifier" technology, normally reserved for the higher end pioneer receivers, and produces a very low thd of 0.009. I am running this receiver with other champaign/gold pioneer components from that era, and am very pleased with the performance and sound quality.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer SX-60 Stereo Computer Controlled Receiver
Michael Williams, Sr.   AudioPhile [Sep 20, 2007]
Strength:

The SX - 6 and SX - 7"s sonic clarity and excellent transit response, allows it to keep pace, even with today"s demanding digital audio! This product gets a five star rating from me!

Difficult to precisely adjust the volume, due to the push-button volume controls. Also, the beautiful champagne color of the controls and other areas of the unit, tends to rub off after years repeated touching!

The Pioneer SX - 6 is among is the rugged and reliable receiver I have ever encountered! ! This receiver has provided me many years of service despite the abuse of very loud house parties every other Friday or Saturday! I have totally destroyed other amps and receivers such as NAD, Carver, Kenwood, Yamaha,
Harmon and Kardon, Sony and newer "Pioneer" models! However, I can tell you from experience, that the Pioneer SX - 6 and probably the SX - 7 can take a licking and keep on ticking. "No Questions Asked" ! ! !

Chuck Bezouska   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 12, 2006]
Strength:

The SX-9 receiver is a workhorse. Bought it in 1983 and have used it ever since. I have a pair of Cerwin-Vega D-2E's (10" bass/midrange and 1" tweeter) and Bose 2.2's (5" bass/midrange and 1" tweeter) hooked up to it. With these speakers I have never been able to put it over 1 watt of output at the terminals as it is so loud (98dB at 1watt at 1 meter!). The sound is crisp and clear, the reciever never seems stressed. I use it for my tape, cd and turntable listening. At 125 watts a channel and .0009% total harmonic distortion it's hard to fault it or find anything better today! For its day it was unbeatable.

The volume as said by others is something that takes practice in adjusting to your taste.

I know this is for an SX-6 and I'm giving a review for a SX-9, sorry.

Robert F. Salvin   Casual Listener [Sep 09, 2006]
Strength:

This stereo receiver possess good sonic characteristic with simple controls that are easy to use yet versatile enough run my DVD/CD player, VCR and cable box, none of which one would ever have imagined running through it in 1981.

The volume is adjusted in incriments that are a little too wide.

Durable stereo receiver-How would I have known back in 1981 that I'd still have the thing in 2006!

Customer Service

It works the same now as it did 25 years ago and has never broken down.

phideauxiii   AudioPhile [Sep 12, 2003]

This unit was discovered in the back of the Goodwill. Even had a manual. Apparently, someone bereft of any audio appreciation whatsoever decided to give away the most durable receiver I've ever tortured. Maybe he bought a Conrad-Johnson and has no need for a lowly SX-6, this is my only viable conclusion. This receiver looks nice (a 'lil dingy, though) and its sonic attributes are its best. I've been banging on this thing since June, 1999. Still here, sharp as ever. 65 watts per channel seems conservative. For a solid-state unit, it's surprisingly warm. The damping factor seems sufficient to control my custom enclosures with 10" JL Audio drivers. I just like it, though I'm a tube enthusiast at heart. Moderate transient attack, and clear as a bell. Go get one if it's under $75.

Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 10, 2003]

This review is for the SX-7 which has a fairly hefty 60 watts per channel. When I bought this in 1982 I stayed away from the XS-6, SX-5,SX-4 because to me they sounded anemic. Just not enough power. This thing though has got serious power. Jsut as another reviewer wrote, downside is the ergonomics. The face of the receiver is totally flat. Volume is increased/decreased incrementally by pushing the up and down pads. Thus, some control is lost (However, this can be overcome slightly by pressing the "muting" pad and then adjusting the volume level. Mute does not totally shut off the volume. Anyway, if you are looking at the 1980-1984 SX models I would definitely step up to a SX-6 or above. Otherwise, I think the watts per channel is rather low/weak

bowman1   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

1. Surprisingly quiet. You've really got to crank it in order to hear any hiss. 2. It's got a pretty decent tuner in it, and even has the long wave band on it for you radio geeks out there! :) 3. This thing has more station presets than there are decent stations. 4. DURABLE!! When the human race is extinct, cochroaches will still be getting down to these things.

1. Not the best when it comes to ergonomics. Volume is controlled by up and down buttons, with no way to up half a click. The muting button is placed right next to the up volume button, and it is very easy to mute the system instead of turning it up. 2. In its old age, its become very sensitive to static electricity. I've zapped it hard enough a few times to reset all the station presets and send it into mute mode. Ouch! 3. The receiver has a tendency to be noticably louder when it is first powered up, then settles down after warming up. I assume this is an old age problem.

What a workhorse of a receiver. While it isn't hifi, it is a decent receiver that can be had for very little. I got mine at an auction in 1992 for the princely sum of $65. I have no idea what kind of use this receiver had before I bought it, but it's been worked mighty hard the last ten years and it still answers the call today. Not bad for a design that's old enough to legally buy you a beer. If you want decent sound but you're on a razor thin budget (in other words, you're in college like I was), this is a very strong candidate for your consideration. For what you will pay, this is a real gem.