Pioneer SX-3800 Receivers

Pioneer SX-3800 Receivers

DESCRIPTION

In Pioneer's extensive receiver lineup for 1980, The SX-3800 was in the upper third in terms of power and performance. It was rated at 60 watts per channel, which was more than sufficient to rock the house. It had extremely low THD: .005%, It's phono S/N ratio was an amazing 115dB. It had a list price of $500 and weighed in at over 35 pounds.

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 24, 2021]
Jelai Ande

Strength:

The ratio was amazing. Price. Sump Pumps

None so far.

[Nov 17, 2021]
JakeXyrus

Strength:

This was more than sufficient to rock the house. I love the performance. Fence Contractor

None so far

[May 31, 2021]
donzparker25

Strength:

Yes, it really packs some powers! I love to hoard this types for my entertainment system.

It is old but gold. metal roofing venice

[May 06, 2021]
togolese273

Strength:

Excellent in all aspects! High-wattage channels, clarity, punch, warmth, nostalgia, and rock-solid construction. Nothing goes wrong. | Camarillo Arborists

A bit heavy.

[Apr 26, 2020]
jjg1977$

Strength:

Incredible power and sound quality for anything in its class.At 60w/p/c rated it seems to deliver so much more. I brought mine back from the dead bought it on EBay for $180 spent $100 for my tech to go through it inside and out and now I love it rocks the house I listen to all genres of music and it fully exposes everything I play through it. If you can find one like I did and of course know how to work on them or have an awesome tech like I do luckily I highly encourage and recommend it.

Heats up quite a bit after use weighs about 35lbs. Want to keep ventilated and in one place definitely don’t want to move around to often.

Price Paid:
Used
Model Year:
1980
[Nov 08, 2017]
Kate
AudioPhile

I bought the Pioneer SX3800 with some Advent Speakers in the 1980's and I still love my sound system. It was worth every dollar I bought them for. Whatever you buy in the way of an amp make sure it has plenty of power to drive your speakers otherwise you're just not doing yourself any favors.
It took hours of listening to different speakers in various Sound Rooms to finally decide on the purchase of the Advent Speakers. Heard B&W's, JBL's, Polk Audio's and on and on it went for hours of listening with a boyfriend I had at the time. Finally I bought the Advents for their superb midrange clarity on vocals. Getting the Pioneer SX 3800 was such an easy decision in comparison. Whatever you do whilst looking/listening to various systems take the same Music Album/CDs with you so you can compare them. Sounds so fundamental but it is true and some get sucked into listening to what's on hand at each location which can suck one into buying the wrong equipment.

[Aug 16, 2017]
Jerry Bandy
Audio Enthusiast

I bought the SX-3800 back in the early 80s when I was in the Navy. I loved it and paired with my JBL 4311B, it would out crank my roommate's Yamaha pyramid amp and his tower Boston Acoustic speakers. The only problems that I ever had was that the led light on "Speakers A" went out and I replaced it. The other problem that I had was occasional static while turning the tuning dial. It could be fixed by turning the dial back and forth quickly several times. I suppose there was dust or built up oxidation on the contacts. The last problem was that it was so heavy and I moved quite a few times. The wooden covers on the rear eventually became slightly loose. Yeah, it was heavy but it took everything I through at it and always sounded great. I wish I still had it. Coupled with a dbx 128 and the JBLs, it was a killer system in it's time.

[Apr 25, 2017]
gary
Audio Enthusiast

I saved this classic reciever from certain death. I was helping my broinlaw clean out his deceased fatherinlaws office and noticed this on a shelf under 3 other old receivers.He showed no interest and told me it was going in a disposal bin if i didnt want it. Got her home and after stainless cleanup, vacuum, deoxit, and some lemon oil for the wood sides i fired it up and was amazed. The only problem was I had to upgrade my speakers to wharfedale floorstanders and turntable to carbon debut dc! It must be rated conservatively as power and clarity are fabulous. What wasnt impressive was the brand new 80w/channel pioneer I bough for my summer home-it doesnt even compare to this old tank! If u ever see one grab it!

[Jan 21, 2008]
Charles Hayhoe
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Velvet warm sound, Exellent AM and FM receive. I can pickup all of my Washington DC FM stations with decency here in Baltimore and I can listen to my oldies Canada statiion AM 740 late at night. In retrospect, my current Yamaha HTR-5790 has to have an outboard tuner (Marantz ST-6000) to do any real radio receiving.

Does run rather warm so give this set good air circulation, ventalation.

Got this fine set about four months ago from the thrift store. I couldn't wait to try it out. It has a georgeous sound and even though it does not tout "DC Amplifier", it seems to have that kind of sound quality. After this inital test run, I disassembled the front part of the radio completely to very throughly clean all the controls with quality tuner cleaner from the local electronics store. Since some of the tiny pushbutton pilot lamps were out, I opted to do an LED retrofit for all of them. White 5mm LED's biased with about 10ma DC for each individual one (including the Stereo pilot and quartz lock), and just a standard replacement 8v wedge bulbs for the three main dial lamps. I kept the main dial lamps stock because I wanted to preserve the original overall look of the set itself. I then touched up the front end and blew out the dust of the tuning capacitor while running the dial up and down. This got the scratchines out of the tuner. This retrofit and minor work should only be attempted by someone with quality electronics experience. Anyway, after all that, I love this set and it has performed flawlessly ever since. It may only be 60wpc but this should be enough for most speakers. The main selling piont of surround sets today is crazy wattage numbers. Numbers usually blare whereas quaity shines brightly. A sleeper and definitly a keeper.

Similar Products Used:

Marantz model 4300, 2270 and ST-6000. Technics SA-800, Pioneer SX-950. Proton D940, Vector research VR-7000. Eico ST40, Fisher 440-T. Yamaha HTR-5790

[Jan 15, 2008]
rodneypeterson
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

The Pioneer SX-3800 is clean sounding and packs a punch. Also, if there is an issue it can be fixed and is most often worth the cost.

If this unit has a weakness, it's that it's dated. It is from another era, before CD players and surround sound. Don't buy this unit if you're looking for cutting edge technology.

I purchased a new-in-the-box unit in 2006 from an eBay store http://stores.ebay.ca/envirosponsible. The price was high, $875, but I was willing to part with my hard-earned cash for such a rarity. I've seen many SX-3800's that were used go for much less, but I wanted to be the first to use mine. I'd always wanted one when they were released in the early 80's, and only recently found new-in-the-box units at the same time I had the cash.

When I received it and pulled it out of the box I was flooded with memories of longing for this shiny piece of gear. The best was yet to come though. When I hooked it up, the sound was crystal clear and very warm. While it's less power than I've become accustomed to, the 60w per channel really lit up my listening room.

Customer Service

The online store I bought this from http://stores.ebay.ca/envirosponsible, provided excellent service and delivered on their "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. While their prices are high, so is there quality. They've got a ton of feedback on eBay, and almost all of it is positive. I strongly recommend buying from them if you're feeling nostalgiac and want to make an investment in solid audio gear.

Similar Products Used:

I've also used this unit's little brother, the SX-3500. The SX-3800 is much beefier and delivers much more bang for the buck.