Pioneer SX-255R Receivers

SX-255R

Stereo Reciever

B Smith   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 30, 2016]

I have owned one of these since 1997. I bought it brand new along with a Pioneer 35 disc CD player and a set of Bose 301 (v3). All of them are still going strong.

I bought this receiver on a limited budget back in 1997 and it has had up all these years. I never expected that. It's a good product. Plenty of power and used these things can be had for less ess than $40.00.

Johnny New Zealand   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 15, 2015]

SX 255R I paid 50 nz dollars for it in 2013 cleaned outside and inside like new.Bass up half way and treble and sounds awesome! have two old 90s Jvc 3 way speakers on and it pumps loud.Be 20 year old amp n 2016 and bet it will go for another 20 unlike the amps of today poor quality and break down so I went back in time when sound quality was great and also when music was just about to get bad.

john tripplett   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 21, 2014]

All of you who think this has no bass or muddied high notes either have a defective unit, improperly wired speakers, or junk speakers. I have hooked mine up to cheap rca brand speakers all the way up to vintage 15 inch fisher speakers and the high notes are clear, sharp and qualify for hearing damage unless a large room is used. The super bass will rattle small items off the shelves. Learn how to properly hook up and use good speakers and there is no way you could be disappointed with this unless you are used to listening to a dj system.

Migy   Casual Listener [Nov 04, 2013]

It turns on but the volume doesn't turn up like before,if I turn the knob all the way up you'll hear it but only if your next to it. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

Lee   AudioPhile [Mar 06, 2009]

My friend gave me this receiver as he no longer wanted it. Now I know why. I first took it because it looks very nice with my Pioneer CD changer since the colors match up and I love the amber display. But oh boy. This receiver is total garbage.

I set it up in my home office with the my Pioneer PD-F908 with a set of quality RCA cables.

It hurts my ears to listen to CDs through the receiver. MP3s on my laptop hooked up to some 2.1 speakers sound much much cleaner....which is a testament to the sound quality of this receiver. I have been dissapointed each time I've used this receiver.

To our "audiophile" Chuck, wattage does not equate to sound quality.... You can have a million watts, I'll stick to my Onkyo at 65 watts/channel.

dave mcbrayer   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 2009]
Strength:

POWER without distortion

No digital plugs

I picked this up on a 1/2 price Saturday on an outing with the wife. It came with 2 pioneer sp340a speakers. My Sony reciever with fancy schmancy HDMI jacks blew a fuse or burnt out a few weeks earlier. I have used it daily as a replacement "HEAD" and it works great with my Kenwood sub. I had to "Bridge" my surround sound wiring to make all my speakers work but The Unit performs without failure for well over the past year. The Bass is excellent.

Customer Service

NA

Similar Products Used: Sony CRAP
Chuck   AudioPhile [Dec 17, 2006]
Strength:

Gets very loud and very clear. Many inputs. Simple and understandable. Able to push 4 drivers.

basic features and basic functions, nothing extremely exciting. Electrical noise polution can create a buzz or hum so keep it isolated.

Honestly, how can anyone speak of the "quality" of the sound and include only the receiver's ability? The reciever puts out plenty of power, much more than I'll use. 100 watts per channel is more than enough to rock my BOSE 201 series IV speakers. the remaining channels definitely put some thump into my mtx thunder 7500 12"s. If you want good bass response.. use subwoofers.. that's my conclusion anyway. the superbass is usually always on as it brings the entire range of sound to a warmer tone in general. theres plenty of ways to hook your components up. I've experienced a few problems with electrical noise from large power supplies, but if you isolate the unit a few feet from computers and such, the sound is amazingly clear. no hum or buzzing as long as it's far enough away or your components are shielded. the remote is a remote, that's it. you can control your other components with it and adjust the volume and superbass. nothing more. Obviously there are much better units out there and obviously there are worse, that will be the case with basically anything on the planet you wish to purchase. For me, for free, with BOSE speakers, this unit completely rocks.

Similar Products Used: many many recievers.. many many speakers..
Matt   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 10, 2003]
Strength:

I don't know, it is cheap?

Poor quality sound

My uncle owns this black screech box. Sure, its amber display looks pleasing, but it sure sounds the opposite as any sensible person can attest. Pay no attention to the guy who knocked 1970s stereo. I own a 1978 vintage SX-780 with a THD of 0.05%, less than half what this piece supposedly rates at. The facts REALLY are that humans cannot perceive sonic distortion below .3%, and companies exaggerate power numbers these days. Back when 2-channel was king, and surround sound a ridiculous dream, Pioneer used high quality potentiometers, capacitors, power supplies, transistors, etc. Now that the average consumer couldn't give two shi+s, BestBuy can sell 100 watts (for 1 microsecond with .9% THD) per channel that "sound great." Yeah, right, all out of a 15-lb. chassis. Let's be serious people. They just don't make them like they used to (a shame).

Similar Products Used: Sony, Denon
Mr Pist   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 08, 2003]
Strength:

In my opinion, it's simplicity, and power. Great for a quadraphonic hook-up.

It needs a little in the pulling-in of stations department.

I have owned this product for 5 years & I think it works great. It has plenty of power. I am able to push my fifteen's with no problem. I am not sure what the prior gentlemen was talking about on the weak bass. I get my walls shaking just fine. There is a misconception about most 70's receivers and them having more power. Most of them had less power than todays and what you call bass is actually distortion. The fact is that THD did not drop drastically until the early eighties.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer SX-1900 (Now that product sucked)
billv   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Looks nice. Decent FM tuning. It won't bother your neighbors.

No bass at all. I bought this after my old Pioneer SX-1010 from the 70's died. I saw the Pioneer name, saw 100 watts per channel, and the price was good (or so I thought at the time), so I bought. I picked it up ... "hey look! I can lift it with one hand!" ... and thought "Wow, amazing how far they've come ... the old one weighed a ton". Got it home, hooked it up, and soon realized that besides being light and cheap, it sounded awful. First test was Beethoven's 9th. About 9 minutes into the 4th movement there's a pause followed by a section that starts with deep bass drums. I cranked it up. I heard nothing. Literally nothing - it completely filtered out the deep bass that used to vibrate the whole room. Oh well. Finally got an old Pioneer SX-1250 off eBay, and now I can hear my music again. Now I swear by vintage Pioneer. Found a place that will repair my SX-1010 too - even dead, I held onto it.

100 watts per channel, but no bass whatsoever.