Pioneer SX-1080 Receivers

SX-1080

Vintage receiver late 1970s - early 1980s

antonio   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 08, 2017]

quiero decir que si que son amplificadores de los 70 super buenos pero nos olvidamos sobre todo a los que venden este tipo de amplificadores antiguos que tienen 40 años de funcionamiento y por consiguiente estan gastados siguen sonando pero por dentro las piezas y sobre todo los condensadores estan agotados con esto que quiero decir o expresar que no se puede vender un amplificador como este por 1000 o 1300 euros ya que es un am,plificador viejo y habria que restaurarlo pero lo que mas me jode es que esto la gente les da igual o al vendedor de este tipo de amplificadores le da igual y no señores mios hay que ser consecuente con lo que se vende y el tiempo que tienen y los años que tienen de funcionamiento y no valen mas de 300 o maximo 500 euros sin restaurar ya estando restaurados de acuerdo que se pidan esos precios de 1000 y 1300 euros pero sin estar restaurados su precio es de entre 300 a 600 euros segun estado yo estoy en la busqueda de uno pero no pagando mas de 600 euros sin restaurar.

jones   Audio Enthusiast [May 21, 2009]

i bought my sx-1080 at a yard sale and gave 100 dollars for the radio and a cabinet it was in. IT IS THE BEST RECIEVER I HAVE EVER HAD PERIOD!!!! i got two pioner 10 inches speakers and 3 12 inch car audio speakers hooked up to it and i got to say i cant turn it up past about 28 and everything in my house rattels. I LOVE IT. THANK YOU PIONER.

autzen   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 04, 2009]

I bought my SX-1080 brand new in 1979, It retailed for $750. That is equivalent to over 3 grand in todays dollars.

I have never had to have it serviced. I did take it in once to have it professionally cleaned. I am probably due for that again after another 15 yrs of use. I also use it to run my Blu-Ray player. Sounds awesome. Who needs 7.1 when you have this baby. I did buy a top of the line Denon a few yrs back and returned it, the sound quality was nothing compared to the Pioneer. You would have to spend 4 grand to get something to sound this good today. Il also have my 1977 Infinity speakers. Not the crap they make today.

starshooter10   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 14, 2004]
Strength:

great sound for any music tons of fiters pre-amp loop tubes for a warm crisp sound last forever lots of power to spare (big caps)

none: if you think it's weak or read it in any post your wrong! from a classic gem like this you can't expect a remote. and if you think it's too big or heavy your still wrong with an amp like this you'll have quite the setup the kind you almost never move anyway

wow it's been a year now and i must say my SX-1080 ROCKS! I love to listen to all types or music from classical to hip-hop this amp sounds buetiful with powerfull lows to a perfect emulation of a warm flute. This amp it a gentle giant: it will make all others seem on mute, to making the most peacful slumber occur. i've never had problems with this most reliable amp. and when paired with my sony SS-u870AV's and my bose 901's this can move all. i came across this amp at a freinds house he had bought it at a garage sale used in box it's in good condition. he paid $10 for it and assumed it broke when it didn't power on right away, so he gave it to me and took it as a loss i left it on while making a snack and return to hear it roar (muting was off) what would i do with out this gem?

Similar Products Used: slightly newer kenwood (also on tubes)
craig1   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 03, 2004]
Strength:

great response at low or high volume. plenty of reserve power. rugged construction. classic looks.

no remote but i need the exercise

i had an rca sta 3900 that got killed by lightning. it was a good unit. $100.00 at radio shack. better sound at low volume than most units costing $400.00 and up. bought a sony strde197. no monitor loop for my eq, no bass response what so ever compared to the rca. bought an onkyo tx 8511. monitor loop for the eq but bass response at low volume was still a joke. then it hit me.why not look for an old receiver like i had in the 70's. found the sx 1080 on ebay. brought back great memories. beautiful full sound at low volue without the eq. turn on the eq and it's unbelievable. high volume levels are dangerous with this thing. falling objects, neighbors, police, hearing damage. they can keep the plastic junk they make today. this is rated at 120 wpc. the ones today that are rated at 100 wpc are more lke 55 wpc. at least they sound that way compared to ths so-called antique. if you can find an old pioneer, buy it. you'll spend $1500.00 or more on modern equipment to match the sound of this receiver.

Similar Products Used: rca sta 3900, sony strde197, onkyo tx8511
spot_45   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 08, 2004]
Strength:

very reliable and good quality sound for its age

can't handle a bass guitar...oops...i guess

the story starts when my best friend rob wanted a new bass amp and so we serched the stores and used shops...then one day we were talking to the guy at the back of a guitar store in carleton place called src...where we discussed tube amps and sterio sistems and car set-ups ...he eventually told us of this big hunka-junk-ovan amp that was sitting in the back of the store and he said that someone had traded it for a deal...he said it was home maid and it came with twin 15" 200w speakers....neways we never bothered to look inside the amp cause it was a big trouble to lug the 300lb amp that was the length of the back of a volkswagon... wagon.....we also came across the problem of his bass overloading the amp and it would cut out...we just figured it a peice of crap and were about to throw it away when i ofcoarse wanted the tubes to make my very own electric amp....so i started to dismantle it and i just started to laugh when i saw that it was just a receiver...then i looked closer to see that it was the grand ol' pioneer sx 1080....the story ends by me jipping my friend and paying him the 100$ (when we all know its worth alot more) and i use it now to rock out my garage full of zeppelin...MUAHAHAHA!!!!

phideauxiii   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent clean power reserves, stunning to look at, excellent tuner, two phono inputs, preamp loop, lights dim when you turn it on and the caps fill :) HEAVY!

Small holes for speaker output, though I saw a picture online where it had gold screw-post terminals.(!) Should have screw posts for 100+ RMS and this unit will happily move 120 clean with a 250 peak.

I'm going to tell you right now, without much circumlocution, that this unit is absolutely stellar. It's timeless beauty and genuine walnut case are aesthetically pleasing, and its immense weight is indicative of its massive power reserves, though not as deep as the 1280 and 1980. The sonic attributes are dead on and this receiver has no problem handling some large, hungry drivers. I'm running a 4 ohm load and it powers cleanly with bottomless reserve thanks to the monstrous filter caps. Everthing about this beast screams "refined power." I love the non-scratchy stepped pot volume and the two phono inputs with awesome preamp topology. I love the VU meters and the beautiful metal face and knobs. I wish these very same companies still had the impetus to produce fifty pound amplifiers. The primary transformer must weigh 25 pounds. It even has a preamp loop on the back.

Similar Products Used: SX-1280 SX-6 Various black box PCB addled crap. Also Conrad Johnson tube amps.
leonard356   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

Build quality. Sound quality for price paid. Classic Looks.

Too big to fit on most modern audio racks.

I purchased this receiver new in 1978 and used it with various sets of components up until 5 years ago when the upgrade bug finally won out. Don't get me wrong, I had tried to replace it with several different amplifier/receiver combos, but always came back to the Pioneer. I must agree with the other reviewers that the 70's must have been the pinacle of Japanese electronics, because every Japanese receiver since then looks cheap in comparison. This thing is built like a tank and weighs nearly as much as one. The 1080 still works as well as it did when it was new - the only exception being the panel light for the Aux connection has burned out. It could deliver plenty of power to drive almost any speaker made. The soundstage is large and well defined. Bass and Treble are also good, although the lower mid-range is not as well defined as the newer higher end amps will provide. To finally replace this unit with something that clearly sounded better, I had to spend about 8 times what I paid for this unit (Aragon seperates). I agree with the others that the Pioneer receivers from the late 70's (along with Marantz) were some of the finest one-box units of their time and would compare well with todays seperates that cost many times more. Even though it's retired to a closet right now, I'll hang on to it for another 25 years.

Similar Products Used: Marantz, Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Acurus, Lexicon, Aragon
Rick Price   AudioPhile [Jan 31, 2003]
Strength:

Tonal purity, MONDO Dynamics, Fit and Finish!!! The apex of solid state receiver design. (I'm speaking of the series as a whole, though below the 980 the cost cutting begins to take a serious toll on the sound, though the little ones don't sound bad, just not quite as good. My first receiver was a 680, in -prophetically- 1980)

None to speak of, save, it could use a few more inputs. Each model had its design quirks (especially the 1980) but they pale overall in the overall presentation,beauty and performance.

I own an SX-1980,1280,and just bought this 1080. It was dinged and needed a power switch and the tuner aligned. ( which I fixed with parts from "parts carcasses".) About 3/4 of a bottle of Windex and Old English and tuner cleaner later and I'm in Heaven. These things sound SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYTHING MANUFACTURED TODAY UNDER $3000.00 it is stupifying. Should we be insulted that the Japanese decided in the 1980's that black box, low quality crap was what we wanted and that we couldn't tell the difference? Or did we get what we deserved by refusing to ante up when the things were being blown out at Brendle's (Local catalog store)for what must've been at or near "dealer cost". If I'd have had the money I'd have bought every 1980 I could lay my hands on and stuck 'em in a closet. I may be exagerating, but I believe this stuff is going to be the McIntosh of my end of the baby boom. The difference in the production run numbers between both brands may cause the Pioneer stuff to not inflate to quite the altitudes that the Mac stuff has, but I believe the quality (especially among receivers) to be second to none! The Amar Bose difinformation war would not have been lost if the "room full of stereo equipment" that those pathetic thingamabobs were being compared to were built like this. DIE, Surround Sound BLACK BLOBS, DIE!!!! If you can find 'em, BUY TWO!

Similar Products Used: Too many to list.
kajguy   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 18, 2003]
Strength:

Effortless power; full rich sound, elegant blue face dial, solid construction, nice wood cabinet

Heavy!

This is also a review for the Pioneer SX-1010, the "top of the line" from 1974-1975. I have owned about 200 receivers in my lifetime....and I like this one the best. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Elite PD-71 CD Player and the sound it....simply put.....the best I have ever heard. The detail, the clarity...with full, solid bass. I own some Home Theater Receivers.....but if you open them up and compare them with the 1010...there is no comparison. The 1010 for its rated 100/ch uses twin 18,000 micro-ferad capicators. These look the bean cans, compared to the thimbles of the modern units. The SX-1010 when played through some Boston Acoustic T830 Towers produces sound effortlessly. There is no hint of strain. The soundstage is wide and dimensional. I don't know what happened, but you simply can't find this experience anymore for less than $2,000. The construction of the 1010 is a testament to its quality. I took it in to my Tech, Tom Ishimoto, former Chief Engineer for Marantz, and, even though he "hates" Pioneer, he had to admit that even after 30 years, my 1010 still performed to spec.....which he said was "amazing". And, that it is. it and the Marantz 2325 were the first two Monster Japanese receiver. One day I've have a 2325 to go with my 1010. But, till then, the 1010 will just continue to amaze me all by itself.

Similar Products Used: Don't get me started.....