Onkyo TX-8211 Receivers

TX-8211

2x90W in 4Ohm

jeffrey c mcmahan   AudioPhile [Jun 01, 2013]

Excellent piece of Hardware. Very impressed with the sound output. The unit I have is rated at 150 watts. My speaker system is a matched pair of Pioneer Dual cone 6" or so. I pumped full volume into them, without the slightest overdrive or distortion noted. I was listening to REM's Losing My Religion, on you-tube; ported from my PC sound (realtek97) from the basic 'powered speaker' output with phono plugs exchanged at the aux device side, ported into CD function of Amplifier. I had concert ear three minutes into the test drive, hey!
Onkyo TX-8211, a powerful system, for the power user, on the cheap.
You go, Onkyo.
Hey, maybe I should go into the advertizing jingle biz, hey! Sorry, practicing for Carnival, Hey!.

i.hardware   AudioPhile [Aug 28, 2009]

I got this tx-8211 at a flee market for 40 dollars, later I got 4 bose 901's with their EQ, mix these three together and you will have one of the best sounds there is, take one of these out and the magic is gone, the onkyo hooked on to any other speakers sounds to bright, the 901's with out their EQ sound ungracefully flat, but all together will beat the crap out of my mcintosh mc2505 and advent loud speakers hands down, no b, it's true.

rooftop59   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 03, 2008]
Strength:

Watts, sound-quality, durability, selective tone control

The only weaknesses I see are the spring clips instead of binding posts (this is changed on the newer models), and the fact that the power cord is attached and cannot be upgraded. I suppose one might want things like a subwoofer out and virtual surround, but this is a stereo receiver. It does what is says, and quite well.

This is a great basic stereo receiver for the money (esp. used!). I bought it for my office and it gives way more power than I will ever be able to use there. My Polk rti4s sound great. I do not use the tuner (who uses a tuner anymore with internet radio?), so I cannot speak to that. I love the selective tone control, it is basically a compressed music enhancer that boosts the high highs and low lows that get lost in mp3s. Since I many listen to mp3s and radio, this feature is very useful, especially at low volumes. I am sure that this would be plenty receive for a basic home stereo setup in a small to medium sized room. And the fact that it still works great used says a lot for the durability.

Similar Products Used: denon avr-1804, yamaha htr-5760
PearlJamTenMan   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 09, 2004]
Strength:

Power, sound quality, price, ease of use.

Over-simple remote, Can't change name of inputs, phono input.

I purchased this High-Current receiver about a month and a half ago, and am about 90%+ satisfied. The simplicity is excellent. My Cerwin Vega LS-12's run at 4 Ohms stable with this receiver and rattle everything in my dorm and the two surrounding. Excellent midrange and treble as well. I am satisfied 100% with the power output and sound quality. The 20hz-20khz blows my old Sony "100 watt x 2" reciever away. It, paired with my speakers make movies sound like you are in the theater. The Cerwin Vega's are a perfect match for this receiver, no subwoofer required. The only drawbacks is the phono input. In the manual it said "phono input - 2.5mv at 50kohms." Well apparently my AudioTechnica phono player puts out a little more than that, so there is great distortion. This problem can be solved by hooking it into another input, which brings up another problem. There are only 4 inputs, and you cannot change the name of them on the screen. Also, it isn't possible to change Bass, Treble, or Balance with the remote. The frequency of the AM and FM tuner cannot be directly changed, you have to choose a preset. Other than that, this is the best receiver I have owned, and one of the best I have ever heard. On a side-note, while at home after I bought this, in order to test it my friend brought in his Sub-box. 2 12" 450 watt max Pioneer Imps and I hooked up some 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers with a small cap on the positive line as a crossover. The stereo pushed them to the point a picture fell of the wall, and pushed them for 10 minutes without getting but a slight bit warm. The 50 watt per channel is a fair estimation for 8 ohms, but this could easily run those subs at 2 ohms stable, no problem. Also, the STC is not loudness. It alows you to hear extreme low and high frequencies which are not too noticeable at low volumes or with low end speakers.

Similar Products Used: Sony STDR 185, multiple AIWA component stereos.
ryno   Audio Enthusiast [May 05, 2004]
Strength:

Not a lot of plastic found in this unit. FM and CD inputs sound fantastic.

No Pre Out/In Loop. Subwoofer line out would be nice. Cheap connections for speaker cable. Phono input is terrible. AM section can hardly pick-up any stations.

I bought this about 6 months ago based on the strength of earlier reviews. There are no Onkyo dealers within roughly 100 miles of where I live so I never had a chance to listen to one of their receivers. I really wanted to like this product but ended up being disappointed. First I will say the overall build quality is outstanding. The front panel is aluminum instead of plastic, the LCD display comes shipped with a removable opaque label protecting it, and even the bass/treble/volume knobs have a smoother motion than what I am used to. When I play FM stations or compacts discs on the 8211, I would put it up against any receiver on the market(though probably not against discrete components). You can control the sound from a very flat freq. response all the way to a saturated bass/treble heavy curve. The Selective Tone Control gives listeners a preset sound if they don't want to mess with the Bass/Treble knobs. With all of that being said, there were some aspects where I thought Onkyo really dropped the ball. The phono section is terrible: there was all kinds of noise in the volume control when raising the knob up or down and a lack of bass output from my records. The AM section could only pull in two stations (they were on the top of the band) compared to the several stations I could get using the same antenna on my previous receiver that also had a digital, not analog, tuner. I also expected stronger speaker cable connections but that was not so. In fact, I had trouble with one of my speaker wires constantly coming loose out of it's connection and the speaker cutting out on me. Binding posts need to be added to future products. Also there is no Subwoofer out connection which these days is becoming more of a feature many consumers want and can be found on some competing brands' stereo receivers. If Onkyo on future models could just improve the phono input, get banana/binding post speaker connections, and add a subwoofer output, they would have a heck of a unit. I have settled on the HK 3375 in the meantime and love it.

Similar Products Used: Harman Kardon HK3375 Stereo Receiver Sony STR-DE715 Stereo/Pro Logic Receiver
MarkoPolo   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 19, 2004]
Strength:

Simplicity of controls

Very poor tuner performance Loudness feature not effective Right side output unequal to left

I just needed a basic receiver to run my Boston Acoustic's & cd player in the basement. Good price, efficient speakers (91dbf)& positive reviews- yes the Onkyo should do the trick. It didn't. First the tuner. I was using a mini-system with a basic 300ohm wire for an antenna that purpose and it performed admirably. It pulled in local Fm stations static free & more distant stations with minor static. For the Onkyo I used the same antenna. I couldn't pull in the closest station without static even in mono. I grabbed the amplified antenna and tried it. A little better but the antenna also amplified the static. Onkyo needs to improve tuner performance for this model. Tone controls are difficult to use. For tuner performance engaging the STC (loudness)button muddied the overall sound, diminishing highs and mids. Using this button for CD play resulted in having to turn the bass almost to max. Confusing. The most distressing element of the receiver was less right-sided output causing me to adjust the balance control far clockwise to compensate. I alternated & switched speaker wires and sure enough the right channel is not equal. I don't worry much about the look of the receiver or remote functions, but I do care about the most important element which is sound quality. I didn't expect the Onkyo to sound as good as my reference system but my Denon DRA-295 receiver sounds like "high-end" compared to the Onkyo and they (Onkyo & Denon) should be a good match. I'm not sure if I received a "bad unit" or not but it's going back to Circuit City.

Similar Products Used: Ref.- McCormick Amp, Arcam preamp,Micromega CD,Triangle Celius Speakers Secondary- Yamaha CD, Boston Acoustic 965 speakers, Denon DRA-295 receiver
Astro66   Casual Listener [Nov 05, 2003]
Strength:

Spectacular sound. Ease of use.

The remote control. The remote has a lot of buttons on it that I will never use. I also wished it had a way of adjusting the tuner from the remote. But, these are very minor issues indeed.

This past spring a friend of mine talked me into buying a set of re-conditioned Bose 301's series IV that were on sale at the local Bose outlet store. My "receiver" at the time was an inexpensive Aiwa (XR-EM50) along with an Aiwa (TS-W150) sub that I had won through work. The salesperson at Bose assured me that the 301's would sound fine even though my system rated at about 15 watts. She said if I got the 301's home and didn't like them, I had 90 days to return them for my money back. Needless to say, they sounded great and I kept them. Soon after that, I got the itch to incorporate my 301's into a surround system. I have been looking at receivers all summer. If I had the gas money I wasted driving around, I could have bought a McIntosh or Denon. I would go into stores and listen to different receiver/speaker combnations but I could not find anything that sounded that much better than what I already had. Only louder. I spent all summer talking to saleman who either gave me a bunch of technical jargon or simply told me my system The closest I came to pulling the trigger on an A/V receiver was on a Yamaha RX-V530 that I found on sale for $199. I looked at the home theatre in a box systems at Sam's and at the big a/v stores. I once had a Sony system like this that disappeared (along with most of my other earthly possessions) in a divorce. I remember it being a pain in the ass to hook up and wasn't all that impressed by the sound anyway. I researched this site along with countless others. I asked questions and even borrowed an older model Kennwood from a friend to try out. I simply could not see what the big deal was with a more powerful receiver other than loudness. Plus, the Kennwood had so many different adjustments and settings, I wasn't sure what "db level" I was suppose to be adjusting for each speaker. I didn't know if I was suppose to use "concert hall, theatre, etc." There seemed to be an infinite amount of adjustment combinations with this thing. Couple this confusion with two other facts, a.) I primarily listen to music and just occasionally watch DVD's. & b.) I like simple things that work well and hate complicated things, I was about to give up this search all together. One Saturday, I was walking around at the Bose Store again and saw that they had an Onkyo TX-8211 on sale for $169 marked down from $200. I liked the looks of that price as well as the fact that Bose seems to like Onkyo products. Onkyo was what they had their speaker displays hooked up to. I decided to go home and check out what people were saying about this receiver on-line. I saw that it was the 3rd highest rated receiver on this site. I also saw that J & R had this receiver refurbished for $100. Refurbs never bothered me. I have a 15 year old refurbed Cobra answering machine that still works fine. I was still going to go back up to the Bose Store because I had been afraid to buy stuff like this online. But I read other positive reviews about the refurb Onkyo from J&R and decided to take the plunge figuring I really didn't have that much to lose but a little postage. Am I ever glad I did. I did not pay any extra for express freight but the receiver still arrived to Texas in 4 days, two days ahead of schedule. This receiver sounds fantastic. I'm not sure why but to me it sounds better than the Kennwood I tried out that was rated at 100 watts. As I said before, I probably didn't have something adjusted quite right. I love the simplicity of this receiver as well. I am by no means a technical person but I had this hooked up and playing in five minutes. I have my DVD player along with a stereo VCR connected. I don't watch a lot of TV but CSI and Monday Night Football sounded great. I have always liked the sound and simplicity of the Bose 321 system. I played a DVD on my system and it sounded every bit as good as the Bose 321. Maybe even better. My inexpensive Sony DVD has something called "TV Virtual Surround." I messed around with it a bit and could tell a little difference maybe. But, not much. What I did find was that the DVD as well as regular TV sound better when I push the "Selective Tone Control" button on the receiver. With a CD or just the radio, I leave it alone. It seems to give it to much bass or unnecessary loudness when music is playing. I listen to a wide range of music from country artists such as Faith Hill & George Strait, R & B such as Toni Braxton, to Aerosmith. I even listen to quite a bit of classical even though I don't know too much about it. (It soothes the savage beast, I guess.). All of my music sounds wonderful and I don't have to mess around with a bunch of buttons, switches and knobs to get the music to sound great. I truly think that this receiver along with the 301's, is a great combination for someone like me looking for a simple and affordable system that sounds great. I highly recommend the Onkyo TX-8211 new or refurbished.

Similar Products Used: Sony, Kennwood, Aiwa
Karl Kunkel   Casual Listener [Oct 04, 2003]
Strength:

Well-designed unit that allows me to handle all functions on the face of the unit. Other units had required that I use the remote on some function, such as speaker balance and radio station memory.

None that I see right now.

The Onkyo TX-8211 is a great product that should handle most home stereo needs. It has enough power to run other components, but is not so big as to be cumbersome.

rugrat5288   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

Price vs. performance, Quality parts, powerful, the nessasary features, sound quality.

for the price I would say there are no weaknesses.

This Receiver is hooked to my computer by a cheap creative sound card. I play mp3's or cds from the computer. It is hooked up via origanal monster cable to 4 Wharfedale 7.2 bookshelf speakers. let me start by saying this receiver has ran flawlessly all day every day since I bought it. I work nights and it is turned on at around 11:30 am and off again at 2:00am or so the next day. I'm single and leave it on for my dog so she won't be lonely while I'm at work. To me the 50 wpc seems an under estimate for this is a very powerful receiver and will bring a good pair of speakers to life easily. I almost bought the 100 wpc 8511 and am glad I saved the extra money for I feel expect for possibly a very large room it would be overkill. I have never turned this receiver above half volume and I like loud rock, pop, and hiphop music. hows it sound? well I'm not an expert on receivers by any means but to my ears the music from this receiver is very clear and natural sounding. as stated above it will run for hours and not be more than warm to the touch. I think the build and sound quality is far above some other brands boasting higher outputs and costing more. features? For me this receiver has what I need. All I need is good sound quality a remote and a sleep timer. Others have said the remote is cheap but all I do with mine is volume, toggle from cd to tuner and turn on power and sleep. It works great for these functions just as it was made to. I also drop it alot with no problems. What would I change? For the price Vs. performance there isn't much I would change for I feel its quality all the way. It would have been an even better deal with a sub output, led on volume and perhaps abit stronger radio receiver but I only listen to local fm stations which come in very well. Bottom line if you want a dependable good sounding receiver made to play music and skip the price of the bells and whistles you better give this one a listen.