Nakamichi TA 4A Receivers

Nakamichi TA 4A Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 04, 2018]

Strength:

I own several systems, one of my most prized is The Nakamichi PA7 with the Nak preamp and topping off the rack is a Vintage Bluenote Belvedere! Ok so enough about that stack, My Nakamichi ta4 sounds almost exactly the same, minus the phono preamp adjustments...exactly the same. So for thousands less, same sound! I wish I had read my own review before shelling out the dough on the other systems.

Just one adjustment on the phono cartridge input.

Price Paid:
$450
Model Year:
1989
[May 29, 2017]
Gary
AudioPhile

The TA-4A lives up to all of the hype it has received over the years. I have owned levinson seperates, accuphase, and many others and this Nakamichi is just so much better than the current midfi equipment. Nad, Cambridge, rotel, cannot touch this receiver. The sound is slightly warmer than neutral, never harsh but also not lacking in detail. The ta 4a drives maggies with ease, a rare feat. One thing to mention is that at its age you must get a recap if you want to hear this receivers true potential. Recaps cost $300-$450 and will keep the nakamichi going another 30 years and bring back the original excellent sound quality. At $5-600 these nakamichi are a steal!

[Aug 20, 2013]
Eric Leeds
AudioPhile

Hi Everybody In Nakamichi Land!! June1989 HarveysElectronics At45THStreet N.Y.HiEndRoom,Saw,Heard,BoughtOne!!! OutStanding!!!Fell In LoveRight(A)Way!!! I Was A Pro Show Drumer Before I Got Sick with M.S!!!Not Very Nice!!!!24Years later It StillRocks!!!! I Listen Too It Almost EveryDay.CambridgeAudio Azur740C,APair Of EposM22i,&OneTA4A Nakamichi,NotTooBad!!! I had TroubleWhenTheBatteryDiedInTheF.M.Section&NeededToBe Replace.GoTo JeffGalinAtElectronicsServiceLabs, jeff@nakamichi.us.Jeff Replaced Battery&Serviceed,UpDatedTheElectronicsInTA4A.Its(A)KillerReciver!!! &ThatWas3YearsAgo!! KA-PALA!!(Ref:StarTrack.) CallMeEricAt 1.718.897.7160,I LikeToTalk!!!

[Mar 14, 2013]
JORGE CADAVID
Casual Listener

Saludos
quisiera saber si alguien me puede colaborar.
me regalaron un amplificador NAKAMICHI TA-4A, pero sin parlantes quisiera saber que parlantes se pueden utilizar y de q watts,no soy muy experto en el tema.
de antemano muchas gracias

[Oct 24, 2008]
Dave Fox
AudioPhile

Strength:

Great front end, very quiet, Stasis Amplification is airy and dynamic, huge soundstage. Overall a very solid receiver

The fluorescent digital display on these tend to become a little faded and uneven but still quite useable. The tuner section is not as strong as the Marantz 2500.

When this receiver was first reviewed back in 1989, with it's Nelson Pass designed Stasis amplifier I considered it as an option to my Marantz 2500 but decided to save the bucks since some experts I knew told me it's 100wpc could not compare to the Marantz's 250wpc. They also said that Nakamichi had problems with the earlier SA line and they may not be as reliable as my then 10 year old Marantz had been. 15 years later I picked one up off of Ebay and was amazed at just how wrong those experts were about the Nakamichi. While it can't produce the kind of gut wrenching volume of the Marantz, the sound was so much more open and transparent that I didn't care. As far as power goes, it has plenty of dynamic power for any normal home listening without any sign of clipping even when turned all the way up. It's almost tubelike. Even at nearly twenty years of age this receiver is still perfectly quiet and clean with none of the pot noise I would get from the Marantz between cleanings. Don't get me wrong, the 2500 is a great piece of gear and even though I got nearly $1500 for it on Ebay, I do wish I'd of kept it. But, the sonic superiority of this old Nakamichi is unquestionable. I have A/B compared it with a friends 105wpc Stereophile recommended B&K seprates system running alternately, my Von Schweikert "Vortex Screens" and a pair of freshly rebuilt Celestion SL6S's which are both fairly power thirsty speakers. Both of these speakers can throw a huge soundstage, especially the Screens, but need good electonics to perform their best. The TA 4A killed the B&K's in sweetnes and clarity, image and soundstage, along with a more dynamic and tight bottom end. The Screens are a large speaker rated flat down to 27Hz and the Nakamichi just sounded more solid and clean all the way down. Yes I wish it was packing 250wpc of Stasis amplification but in the realm of all in one units I can't imagine a better sounding buy at any price or power rating. Maybe the McIntosh 4100 receiver if you can find one but even then I doubt it and you will pay a lot more than $400. The Nakamichi TA 4A isn't a Threshold separates system but it might be close. It won't make your old Cerwin Vegas sound like Martin Logans but it will make any true high end speaker sound really good. The ony real weakness is the tuner. My Marantz had a amazing tuner section that outperformed everything else I ever owned including a Nikko Gamma. If you find a TA 4A in good condition, jump on it. You won't be sorry.

Customer Service

No longer available from Nakamichi but there are a number of third party vendors on the internet that recondition the Nakamichi equipment.

Similar Products Used:

Never heard a reciever like it!

[Dec 28, 2004]
Tommy504
AudioPhile

Strength:

When you let the TA4A warm up, the sound is very rich and dynamic. Also, it pulls far more amperage than current receivers! This receiver is an excellant choice for vinyl!!!!!!

-none-

The Nakamichi TA4A is exceptional. I believe it is one of the finest solid-state components my ears have ever experienced. I was fortunate to hear my first TA4A through a set of TDL MONITORS!! The hair stands up on my skin just thinking about it! The TDL Monitors could surely eat more than the TA4A could throw at them, but the Dynamics offered by mating those two was phenominal. Anyone could learn to appreciate the detail of music simply by listening to a cheap recording, then a quality recording through that set-up. The cheap recording comes across life-less and dull, while the TA4A eagerly sends the musical peaks into the air with plenty of overhead. Not to mention that the Monitors have awesome bass-extension. (Transmission-line speakers need I say more.) That is truly he beauty of the TA4A, the overhead power waiting for your favorite recording! I would recommend this receiver to anybody who appreciates 2-channel stereo!!!

Similar Products Used:

Waveguide 4 speaker cable. Straightwire directional interconnects. Klipsch Heresy II. Pioneer turntable.

[Oct 28, 2003]
jviper
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Powerful for 100 wpc. Does not get any better at the original list price of $1000.00 let alone what I paid for it.

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this used. What a great piece of audio gear. This thing ROCKS!!!!!!!!! At 100wpc it is a true power house receiver with a very clean, detailed, smooth and open preamp section. Very musical for a "receiver" that is 13-14 years old. Get one if you can find one.

NAD, ROTEL, ADCOM and MARANTZ

[Nov 30, 2002]
mfabian
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Stasis technology, what more can you ask for. Case design will never go out of style.

none to date

The TA-4A is a great design. Making a chassis that includes seperates in one box was a great idea. This is one of the few amps that can run my Accustat 1+1's cleanly(without costing thousands).

Similar Products Used:

Denon avr-1800 (still use the TA-4A to drive the Accustats)

[Sep 02, 2002]
daisycutter
AudioPhile

Strength:

Great sound, best Amp, timeless chassis design. This receiver looks and sounds like a classic.

Needs to be powered on for 10 minutes to heat up to realize full potential of amp and circuitry. Tone bypass button crackles a bit when cold, but dissapears after warm-up. Important to match speakers with listening preferences. (i.e rock=klipsch, classical=Revel)like most other audiophile equipment.

Superb receiver, incredible AMP. Clean signal with intense power and ability to push bass effortlessly. Nice design, heavy chassis and well vented. Sounds great at low volume as well as at high volumes. Must be mated to excellent CD player and with speakers that are warmer sounding (like Revel or B&W)to get the full "feel" of the music.

Similar Products Used:

Krell, Proceed, B&W, Revel.

[Jul 18, 2002]
THOUGHTcam
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Variable loudness clean clear power

could use more i/o { it does have a lots } could use a midrange control

{ TA-3A } Lots of clean accurate power. I very rarely get the volume above 3with the loudness on 3 as well. I absolutely love love love the variable loudness control. Never thought I would use the video i/o but I did and would have liked more. It has a base and treble control I keep flat by using the bypass button, if I was not using an EQ I would have liked a midrange control as well. The record out selector has also surprised me with it's usefulness as it temporally allows you to divert your signal flow without changing tour settings. I also like the shape of it square simple serious.

Harmon/kardon, Marantz