NAD C740 Receivers

• Soft Clipping
  • 30 Station random presets (AM or FM) in 3 banks
  • 25 kHz tuning steps
  • MOS-FET RF section and Front-End
  • NAD-Link for remote control capability

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 16, 2019]
    Rayjazz

Strength:

I bought my NAD C 740 new around 2003 or 2004. I needed to downsize components from the separates used to power my Dahlquist DQ-10’s and M&K Goliath sub woofer. I previously used GAS Ampzilla power amp at 200 watts RMS per channel and a GAS Thoebe pre amp. I was also having some minor irritating problems with these like loose RCA connections that were becoming a hassle. Hauling a 75 pound amp around to get repaired was no fun. Anyway, I sold these and went comparison shopping. I have always respected NAD from way back, and when a salesman suggested this low powered receiver I was skeptical. Although it doesn’t have the headroom of the Ampzilla, it has plenty of clean power to drive these speakers to the room filling (Which my wife says is too loud) (12x20’) carpeted sunroom where I do my listening. Recently, I have gotten back into listening to records after a long absence and using the NAD phono preamp I bought with it and an inexpensive Audio Technica turntable is bringing back the joy I had listening to vinyl back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. The NAD does a fine job, and I love having a remote control with such a continuous volume control that can adjust the volume so precisely from my listening spot.

None that I have found.

Purchased:
    New
    [Feb 17, 2011]
    amateriat
    AudioPhile

When it comes to hi-fi, I'll simply say that I've been low, and I've been high. and now, many years later, I'm floating at the lower end (from necessity...little need to elaborate), but armed with most of the info-insight to make the most of a tight budget.

On the used/auction circuit, I've long noticed that NAD products, which, in another lifetime, I used to sell as a high-end retailer, have been relatively thin on the ground, compared to the usual mass-market suspects. This didn't surprise me, as I've long regarded NAD's components to be a cut above the "pack." I'e receommended them with little to no hesitation to friends, and their components grace the systems of more than a few ex-girlfriends who still marvel at how good their CDs, tapes, vinyl or even their iPods sound as a result.

Now came my turn. I needed, for a host of reasons, to reconstitute my hi-fi, which had been moribund for a number of years. The only components I had left that were worth the proverbial damn were my trusty (and truly high-end) Mission 775SM turntable, coupled with Missions John BIcht-designed 774 tonearm and Signet TK10ML cartridge, and my not-quite-high-end, but still useful NAD 616 dual-well cassette deck. (A notch or two down from my old Nakamichi Dragon and Luxman K-02 decks, but that was then, etc.). I needed new amplification and transduction (speakers), not to mention something to play my several hundred CDs through. For now, let's talk amplification.

I haven't had a receiver in a system of mine in the proverbial dog's age; it's not that I thought receivers were "bad" I knew otherwise, starting with NAD), but that I simply thought separates offered a better bang. Now, for various reasons, I decided a well-chosen receiver would work just fine, and the go-to choice was NAD, because (1) for one thing, very few mainstream electronics companies were even bothering to make audio-only receivers, offering instead gadget-rich multichannel AV receivers offering tons of things I wasn't interested in (hint: I don't own a TV), and offered mediocre audio quality as a result; and (2) I knew NAD's product DNA well enough to know that almost anything they made would be at least a notch above whatever the usual suspects were offering.

I went with a used (via a Certain Auction Site) NAD C740. An oldie by now, but a goodie by my lights, as it offered almost everything I wanted in a receiver: besides its audio performance (which is close to unassailable in its category), it offered the convenience of a remote control that not only handled, via NAD Link, my trusty NAD 616 cassette deck (the remote even has separate controls for each cassette deck well), but cold also handle the one CD changer I longed to have, but could never find an intact (read: working) example for love or money, until recently. The one thing it couldn't handle on its own was vinyl, a problem solved handily by running out ad buying (new, for a change), an NAD PP3i. I'll be talking about the PP3i in a separate review; suffice it to say that the photo preamp lives up to its billing, and is likely a better performer than anything NAD might have built into a receiver like the C 740.

Suffice it to say that, where and when it counts, the NAD C-740 simply does the business. With more than enough conservatively-rated power for driving most any speaker system to realistic sound-levels, an excellent tuner section, and preamplification that doesn't draw undue attention to draw attention to itself.

Highly recommended...if you can find one. :-)

[Mar 13, 2004]
    duoaksea
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Plenty of power Fantastic tuner Clean, lively sound

Clumsy tuner controls Limited Remote Control

[Feb 12, 2004]
    russwollman
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Versatility. Simple controls.Simple remote control. Value for the money. Unique, pleasing design that wears well.

None that I have encountered.

The C740 has a room for multiple inputs, a pretty good tuner (though not quite as good as the old 7100 Monitor Series receiver with its Schotz tuner), and a clean, simple design suggestive of the clean output of which the C740 is capable. This receiver, as NAD claims, is powerful and capable well beyond its numbers. For a while my C740 happily drove four elderly Advent Loudspeakers without a whimper. But now it's my preamp and drives an old NAD 2600 amp which sends 150 watts/channel to those Advents. The sound is glorious, powerful, and stunning. There's a great honesty and simplicity about NAD products that inspires my confidence.

Similar Products Used:

NAD 7100 Monitor Series Receiver with Advent 5012s and AR3as, and Sony X202ES CD player. NAD L40 CD Receiver with Smaller Advent Loudspeakers. NAD C541i CD player Nakamichi SB-1s CD player. Sony SCD-XE670 SACD player

[Jan 22, 2004]
    jvshort
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good sound, powerful, smooth and detailed.

No phono stage.

I've owned it for almost 5 years. As an amp it is smooth and powerful (much more than its 35 W per channel suggest, an evidence that volume is not a question of watts), it drives my floorstanding speakers fine. The radio receiver sounds nice too, if you have a good aerial (I have connected it to the TV/radio cable, it sounds great!). All the connects are gold plated. It's got two tape inputs, very useful if you have both a tape deck and a cd recorder and you like to make cds from analogue sources.

Sony

[Dec 27, 2003]
    Donald Walters
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Features, looks and performance for the $$$.

Here is the only weakness I see is that the unit gets hot quick and shuts down. The unit sits on top of my NAD CD player and gets pleanty of air. I have 3 pair of Speaker Craft 6.1 wall speakers and inwall Russell volume controls on each pair. No idea why it shuts down at quarter volume after 15 minutes.

In general I love my NAD unit. I like the clean looks and it does perform very well.

Yamaha RX-V795 Tuner

[Jun 18, 2003]
    nadstone
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power, Clarity

None

I may have a little different taste in the way I like music to sound. I want the ultimate in just "listening" to music and I like to crank it when I can. The NAD C 740 is a pleasant surprise. 35 WATTS ? My 6 year old Yamaha is rated at 70 and the NAD is alot louder! But from reading on this sight I guess that is a different story. I am hearing sounds that I never heard before on recordings I have listened to for over 30 years. The system I use incorporates the c 740 that gets the source signal from an NAD c 350 through the tape monitor loop. Each amp powers their own set of speakers through an equalizer (Alesis Digital EQ 230 and Boston cr 75's with a sub through the pre-outs for the c 740, B & W 602 S3's with a Yamaha EQ in the front with the c 350). This is home STEREO not theatre. If you need a stereo receiver, simply buy the c 740. NAD gives you more options for equipment than most. Cannot be beat for the price. I still have room for another set of speakers on the c 740. You can do this with an NAD product. Won't hurt it. I may blow up my electrical box though.

Similar Products Used:

NAD C 740 NAD C 350 NAD C 521 CD B & W 602 S3 Boston Acoustic CR 75 Alesis Digital EQ 230 Yamaha WQ70 Carver sub

[Feb 21, 2003]
    Professor Dave
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Very smooth sounding

There really are none, just minor ergonomic things and I would like to have had a sleep timer.

I have been researching various products for my listening pleasure for my home office. I have a Marantz SR8000 and quite frankly the 5.1 sound does not compare to that of a solid 2 channel system. I also happen to like radio, so the convieniece of a tuner and an amp was nice - otherwise an integrated amp would be the way to go, but I did not want to spend that much money. I was debating between, NAD, YAMAHA, ROTEL, and DENON. They were all around the same price (except for the ROTEL) The sound wass very smooth and eventually won me over. By the way... as I was shopping for the NAD C-740 the cheapest I found it was $395 on the internet, but according to NAD, unless you buy it from an authorized dealer, the warranty is null and void. I have bought enough equipment in my time to appreciate the value of a local dealer who can handle an issues that may occur. the $60 difference in price wasn't worth purchasing on the internet.

Yamaha RX-777, Marantz SR8000

[Jan 01, 2003]
    Pete

Strength:

Only strong models mentioned above.

By deductive reasoning, you can weed-out the weak models.

I own and repair NAD stuff, for 23 years. From a sound quality/longevity/ease-of-repair viewpoint, here are my favorite models: 3020, 3020A, 3020B, 3120. 3220PE,3225PE. 3400. 1600,1700.7220PE,7225PE. 7000,7400.502,512. 5000,5440.My system is NAD 7000, PSB Stratus Goldi, Marantz CD63SE. Other setups I've owned are different but not better. The PSBs are just stunning; this said by a former AR employee who had such lovely speakers, as AR90,AR58.Please enjoy your music, don't be swayed by advertising. Boston is blessed with lots of high-quality FM stations; get a good tuner, like NAD 4130, 4155, 4300. Good day

Similar Products Used:

Various Marantz, Rotel, Integra, Creek.

[Dec 30, 2002]
    Ronald van der Graaf
    Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound for money, design, endurance (almost 20 years with my 7155 receiver) ATTENTION: The price mentioned (745) is the price in Euro's in the Netherlands

€ 92 for a NAD phono pre-amp yet to buy.

Was looking for a replacement for my near 20 yo NAD 7155 receiver. The volumecontrol of it, when turned, made more music than the music itself and both tuner and other sources became mono only. I was trickered by special offer of a C521I + C730. Whithout listening I took the set home, and disappointed I was. The C730 had no power at all. Like in a previous review here, which I hadnt read yet ofcourse, almost nothing happens when you turn the the volumecontrol from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock. The sound was clean enough, which I like, but I had the feeling only the upper third of my speakers where working. I have floorstanding 3-way Accoustic Research. After searching through some reviews I took the C730 back to the dealer and had him hook up the C730 and the C740 in the listeningroom and started to compair. I brought thee CD's: Baroq harpsichord, a light single instrument work, 5th of Mahler, very massive orchestral music with large peaks and vocal pop music (Fleedwood Mac). Harpsicord was equal fine on both the C730 and C740, clean, refined sound as if the instrument was in the room with you. Fleedwoord Mac was a much bigger difference, it was much richer on the C740 and it came out of the speakers, how can I say: with much more ease. Mahler showed the biggest difference, the C730 just didnt cut it at all! I missed complete instrument sections in it. The C740 did a very nice job indeed, it could handle the enormous peaks in this musicpeace, especially on lower, or normal listening volumes, yet it had power enough handle the music at greater volumes. I must say that the C740 is powerwise about the same as my old 7155. Maybe Ill hook up both the C740 and the 7155 someday and start mixing them. Feeding the pre-amp signal of the one to the other and vica versa. Other remarks on the C740 and NAD in general: Great looks, keep it simple. Great tuner, always had. Bad marketing for mainstream public, hehe, keep it that way. Im a happy listener again!

Similar Products Used:

NAD 7155 (20 yo receiver) NAD C521I (bought at the same time)