NAD 7020 Receivers

Excellent tuner and pre-amp

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 08, 2018]
shorewalker

Strength:

My own 7020e - basically a 3020e with a tuner - still sounds terrific to me at 30 years of age. It's been in use since 1988 and not a thing has gone wrong. The sound is richer than a 10-year-old Cambridge Audio AV receiver we use with the TV. I have it paired with NAD 8020e speakers which were made by KEF, and plugged into my computer. After three decades, I'm adding a Dragonfly DAC. It seems possible that this lot can make their half-century. The return on investment has been extraordinary.

It's not as beautiful as my dad's old Yamaha receiver. The aesthetic is minimalist and almost military. The tuner doesn't perform that well when positioned next to a stack of computer gear. Speaker inputs are just spring clips. Yes, I'm reaching to find flaws.

Price Paid:
1988
[Jul 23, 2017]
Terence
AudioPhile

I bought 2 NAD 7020's in 2016, one being shot was a parts unit (a black 120V/60Hz), the other was a working unit (a beige 220V/50Hz). Unfortunately, the beige unit stopped working after half a year of intermittent use in my bedroom as a radio/CD source for leisure lsitening.

My 7020 drove two pairs of speakers, an AR3a pair, and a Celestion SL 700 pair. Occasionally, I moved it to my main rig and used it to drive my two pairs of stacked JBL 4320 (which BTW to me is intrinsically far superior to any 4333/4344/4345 due to its simple two way design).

In all these pairings for the 7020, I heard very convincing sound, life-like, vivant, quite detailed, and three-dimensional. It lacks some sparkle in the top end but its bass is quite warm and well controlled. Paired with my 15" woofer JBL 4320 fours, it gave very good sound compared to my usual tube combo (Audible Illusion 3D preamp, and four Ampex 6973 mono blocs, which together has the best bass and the sexiest top end in my rig). For the money I paid in 2016 ($150 for two 7020, and a parametric EQ unit), it was a no-brainer to decide to buy a 7020.

The 7020 really surprised me when I first heard it. It sound a bit better to me than the 3020 did coz the 7020 sounded a bit more vivant and detailed. The 7020/3020 would be my every-green go-to HiFi hardware for any type of music to listen to.

BTW, its FM section drifts quite a bit. Best would be to use the tuner after about 1 hr of warm-up. Then it will behave quite stably.

[Mar 11, 2014]
Carey
Audio Enthusiast

I continue to use my Nad 7020 daily. The tuner is excellent picking up many radio stations, with little drifting of the signal. The sound is full, and imaging very good. After all these years it continues to work well. I bought it 4 years ago from a person who cleaned the inside and calibrated the tuner.

[Dec 23, 2003]
Asellus
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Warm, sweet rich sound.The you use as reference to compare all units you use after. Simple to use, reliable, doesn't take up much space.Looks a simple design inside, hopefully should be relatively easy to keep going! The tuner is sensitive (just a wire dangling off the back!) and sounds good.Haven't had the tuner drift problem reported by others.

Age, no remote.Getting a bit crackly now due to wear on front input switches.Right channel clicks a bit too.Only becoming apparent after comparing it to the new Marantz, we have noted that the NAD has an either "too loud or too quiet" characteristic. Quiet notes seem buried in the music, while loud segments come on too strong. Maybe this is inherent in the design of an essentially low power output of the unit and the NAD "Power Envelope" system which gives additional power the amp when it needs it? But still a great product.

Helped my Dad purchase a receiver, speaker and casette system in 1990. Compared a Yamaha receiver of similar price at the same time and there was no comparison. The NAD sounded smooth, warm and sweet, the Yamaha thin and harsh.It is able to drive two, mid size Energy ESM 3s, has been very reliable apart from needing a new power supply some years back, but considering the use and age, this is acceptable. Now my Dad has upgraded to a Marantz Sr4300, and I now have the NAD in my bedroom driving two Sony "micro system" type speakers, and it sounds great, much better than the Micro System it replaced (no shocks there!)

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha receiver of same age and price.

[Feb 07, 2003]
jon bridgman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

excellent while sipping fine bourbon,love the cable connection for antenna

ahh yes...the bourbon is one

wow,im really amazed at the beautiful crisp,sound this reciever produces through my vintage JBL4311 studio monitors.was listening to some old link wray vinyl played on my thorens,in preparation of the upcoming show at the montage,and am relly blown away by the crisp highs and smooth bass,nice separation,and inaudible distortion.awesome!!!

nikko 1050 reciever circa 1970

[Jan 29, 2003]
Will Simmering
Casual Listener

Strength:

Clear, rich sound whether used to play tapes, LPs, CDs, MP3s or just to listen to the radio.

Age can cause the unit's components to occasionally be troublesome. My system sometimes produces a less than clean sound out of the right channel when using the AUX setting possibley due to poor contacts. As well, the light on the tuner dial burned out soon after beeing replaced.

While not as sexy as new, digital turbo-charged home theater systems, the NAD 7020 still manages to produce much the same sound quality as it did when it was an audio-phile component in the late 70's early 80's. My system is hooked up to a NAD 6050C Cassette deck and an old set of Polk Audio model 5's, which, most of the time, produce clear, clean sound that comfortably ranges from back-ground music to filling a room, and at a rated distortion of only 0.02%. And this despite an average power output of 20watts per channel average, 40 watts max at 8 ohms. Old promo material boasts that "for the student or first-time stereo shopper, the 'no frills' design and moderate price make the NAD 7020 an ideal choice; for the music-music lover seeking uncompromised performance, few receivers at any price will sound as good in everyday use." Despite its age and occasional crankyness, the NAD 7020 sounds just as good as many, more modern systems.

[Jun 05, 2002]
neusch
Casual Listener

Strength:

warm sound strudy technology

no remote control

Great product. Outperforms any receiver I have ssen for this price and running after 10 years without the slightest wear. It doesn ot have any gadgets to play with but it plays you wonderful warm music with sufficient power when you need. I had not problem at parties were friends did not want to believe this thing has some simple 20 watts

[Apr 24, 2001]
Carl C
Audio Enthusiast

I remember the 7020. But I purchased the newer (at the time) 7130. The Amp was still based upon the 3020 design, but pumped up a few watts. I'm afraid that I do not remember how many watts or how much headroom it was rated. If my memory is correct, 35wpc with 2.5 db o headroom.

Weaknesses:
It has an early electronic tuner that started to drift about three years ago (I bought this unit in 1986). The five tuner presets were always too few so the toggle tuner switch was often used. The AM section was always useless. The tape loop was disappointing too. As it got older, the speaker switch and volume switch easily became noisey (cleaned them a lot). Eventually the speaker switch developed discontinuities which can only be solved by replacing the switch. This switch and the power switch are integral parts of the circuit board and are not easily bypassed or replaced. I never used the soft clipping circuit either because I felt it took away some dynamic from the sound.

Strengths:
POWER. Relatively clean power. A bass EQ and Loudness control that added a lot of punch to smaller speakers (or my Klipsch Heresy's which had less bass than high frequency horn). Good Phono stage. exceptionally clean video and CD line-in circuits. Discrete power amp and preamp sections with individaul Pre-out and Power amp-in RCA jacks.

I still use this unit to play music from my computer into my cheap Radio Shack minimus 7 speakers. Compensating with the tone controls for the lack of treble in the RS speakers, the system still doesn't sound too bad. Definitely has some issues with wear at the switches. Also wonder if some capcitors are loosing value. I'm sensing some distortion that is not solely a product of the cheap speakers.

I miss not feeling the impact that the dynamic headroom of this unit presented in its heyday. 6db of some of the Proton and the NAD PE amps was too much, the 1.5 db that is common in amps of this type today is not enough. 2 to 3 db of headroom is what I would consider a sweet spot for amps of this design. I have listened to recent NAD amps and receivers, and I am sad to say that none impress me like these early 3020 based designs do.

Its a shame.

[Sep 06, 2000]
Kelly Minnick
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Low distortion, Big bang for the $$

None (price considered)

I bought this new back in 1980. At the time it was being reviewed, they were comparing it to the Macintosh reciever of the time. It speced out at .015 THD and was putting 108 WPC into 2 Ohm loads. I think the thing is heavier than my 7240. I was going to sell it, but when used ones are going for $50 -$75, there's no way. I'm looking to upgrade my 7240 with a T750. I'm a sold customer when it comes to NAD.

NAD7240PE, Kenwood, Fisher

[Dec 08, 2001]
Will
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound at a bargain price. Clean power. Sturdy.

Tuner drifts. Few inputs. No remote option.

I recently picked up a used NAD 7020 to replace my Yamaha RX-385, which seems to be dying in one channel. I didn't really think a receiver could make any difference in what I heard (driving Paradigm Atoms + SB-90 passive sub). I was wrong. I heard new detail in some of my favorite CDs, like Rob Wasserman's Trios. My NAD has a severely beat up exerior, all scratched up with a couple chips, but it performs excellently, which suggests it must be very sturdy. Value is a no-brainer considering the prices it can be found at, 5-stars. 5-stars as a basic stereo reciever too as long as you don't need modern bells and whistles. The included bass, treble, and loudness adjustments are actually useful for low level listening, unlike other receivers I've heard that sound horribly bloated when boosted.

Yamaha RX-385