Marantz TA150 Receivers

TA150

Tuner, Amp, Equalizer

Renato Maceda   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 18, 2000]
Strength:

Power, performs above its price

Tone control, looks cheap

I've had this amp for about ten years now. Originally I had it driving a pair of Advent Legacy, lately I had it hooked up to Wharfedale Sapphire 89. Although both speakers are fairly sensitive, the amp has never been close to being maxed out.
The base hass always been there and the soundstage is pretty impressive.
The unit is able to power 4 speakers, there is an A or B or both selector and even when driving all 4 speakers... you'll be turning the volume down before the amp is half through.
I always kep the equalizer straigh and in fact by passed it by using the tone defeat.
This unit has served me well and has outlived the Thorens turntable, the speakers and the Teac casssette deck.
AAlass, with the coming of home theater and UBid... it has been replaced.

OVERALL
MDCoram   an Audio Enthusiast [Dec 25, 1998]

I picked up this receiver at a used equipment store. It looks like two seperate units, but it is not. The top portion holds the tuner and the larger bottom section houses the amp and 10 band equalizer. This unit is rated at 150 watts/channel at .05% THD. This unit does look a little cheap, but sounds great. Quite a bit of bass is available due to the available headroom power. There are several jacks in the back that accept pre-amps, ect. I have no idea how old this receiver is, but it sounds more spacious then my modern Sony unit.

OVERALL