Marantz SR-48 Receivers

SR-48

50 watt per channel receiver

Tom   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 28, 2001]
Strength:

User friendly, Outstanding quality.

The binding posts could be improved.

I purchased this receiver a few months ago on e-bay, and i have been very happy with it. I use it with a Marantz cd changer, M&K subwoofer, and Axiom M3ti bookshelf speakers.
I also use it to drive my AKG-K.501 headphones. The 50w of power is clean, and exceptionally smooth, and that is an rms or continuous rating not measured at a peak. I believe this is a conservative rating by the way. The headphone jack appears to be of high quality also as i don't use a seperate headphone amp and never go past 9 o'clock on the volume control. The sound this receiver reproduces is sparkling and very musical. The remote control is first rate, and I think the red led on the volume control is also a nice feature. In my opionion this component offers out standing quality and value. As one reviewer noted it's like the Marantz of old...That's true.

Bobby Donofrio   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 06, 2000]
Strength:

I purchased this receiver as a secoundary unit. I bought for $240.00 which i consider an incredible value for both styling and technical capabilities.

None

I complimented my system with the amazing Paradigm's Titans.

Similar Products Used: Vector Research, Carver, Nakamichi, and Denon.
JoeL   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 05, 2001]
Strength:

Understated simplicity and outstanding sound!

None

When my 23 yr. old Tandberg went up several months ago I was leary about fixing it. Not knowing what might go up next I decided to start shopping for another receiver. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to find anything to equal the performance of the Tandberg at a price I was willing to pay. Well I am happy to say that I was wrong. Coming in at $450 less than I was willing to pay,this receiver has surpassed even my most critical expectations. An excellent value and tremendous performer. One day I might own a Mark Levinson, but until that time I am just going to enjoy the sound of this diamond in the rough.The SR48 has convinced me that Marantz is back.

Similar Products Used: Lafayette, Kenwood Kr4600,Pioneer, Tandberg 2055
Chris   Casual Listener [Feb 09, 2001]
Strength:

ease of use design, clean, bright (but not too bright) sound. Power rating is conservative

remote design

This receiver is a huge bargain if you want a decent system but don't have an audiophile's budget. You really can't go wrong with this receiver in this price range. When shopping I compared it to the NAD C-740 which was matched up to some Paradigm speakers. The Marantz has comparable audiophile qualities and solid construction. It also has a built in phono stage that the NAD lacks. I have not yet upgraded my speakers, but it does wonders powering the cheap pair of Fischer speakers I bought 10 years ago at Best Buy. I heard it demo'd on various Phase Technology Speakers, and it had a wide soundstage and very clean powerful sound, which was very accurate and not too bright or boomy. In my opinion as good as the NAD, but cheaper.

Similar Products Used: NAD, AIWA
Nick   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 23, 2001]
Strength:

excellent display, very good sound, very good build quality

not really enough power to crank in up

i am using this to power my BA VRM 60 bookshelf speakers, i think that this is an excellent peice at an excellent price, i picked this up open box and it was really an impulse buy, but i am gad i bought it, and it has worked out very well, i think if it had a little more throu put i would be a little happier thou. but this is an excellent piece that is very hard to beat

Similar Products Used: i have used several by denon, yamaha, pioneer, and sony
Lance   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 11, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to use, Fine Quality

could use a couple more watts for good luck

This is a solid reciever, however, it would benefit from more than 50 watts. I have used the unit for more than a year now with a pair of Angstrom Omega 26's(6 ohm) and the combination is great. The speakers are capable of accepting up to 100 watts, but I can not cause the reciever to clip out with them. On the other hand, with a beastly pair of Audio Logic speakers(8 ohm), at very high volumes (beond comfortable listening levels) the marantz will clip.

The design is clean and simple, there are no unnecessary features or buttons that get in the way.

The supplied remote control is of the highest quality and capable of controling a whole marantz system.

Some more inputs would also help, as there is only a phono, tape, tv/aux, tuner, and cd. I have my computer plugged into the tv/aux(for ease of use), and my VCR plugged into the tape monitor(because there is no better place to plug it in to. If I actually used a tape anymore, I would have no place to plug in only three inputs(computer, tape and VCR). This is only a minor problem, however.

Overall, I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting a solid easy to use stereo reciever that is not looking to blow up the world with wattage.

mike baskerville   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 01, 2000]
Strength:

powerful enough to power my cerwin vega VS-80's
sleek design, easy to use and perfect for my room. good match with my Denon cd player as well. overall, a fantastic reciever for 2 channel enthusiasts!!

should have brushed aluminum face, but thats ok.

I love this reciever!! This product is probably the most user friendly i've ever experienced! (I'm only 17) The quality and craftsmanship is great the Marantz' of old. All in all, if all you need is good 2 channel and don't want to worry about 5.1 - 6.1 and 7.1, this is great!!