Marantz 2220 Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 04, 2017]
Forrest
Audio Enthusiast

In 1980 I was invited to dinner at the home of a elderly fellow AA member. After the lovely dinner cooked and served by his wife, we sat down to listen to his new hi fidelity music system. He educated me on some finer aspects of chamber music and asked me if I was interested in listening to music. I responded to the affirmative. He sent me home with his "old" Marantz 2220B. Music has always been the gateway to my soul and has remained a very important part of my spiritual life, making recovery from alcoholism much more palatable. I purchased a new pair of Celestion Ditton 250 three way speakers in 1983 to marry with the Marantz and they have gotten along well all these years. I am listening to Bach Goldberg Variations as I write this and the piano sounds as clear and warm as the first time I played the Marantz in 1980. Be it "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" from the Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East, Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" or Chamber Music, I always come away satisfied. I did have the unit cleaned and tuner repaired once, otherwise it has served me without a hitch all these years. What more could a man ask for? And all of this was freely given to me, so I will be a loyal Marantz 2220 man until I die and forever grateful to the kindness and generosity of an old man.

[Apr 16, 2016]
Rx7man
Audio Enthusiast

I have a bunch of Marantz receivers and amps.. a 2275, a 1060, and a 2220B... Every one of them sound great, without a doubt, but the 2220 is definitely at a disadvantage when you need some brute power to get a big room loud and still have if feel full. If you've got neighbors and thin walls, you WILL get noise complaints.. For what I bought it for (My parent's living room) it does what is asked of it perfectly.

Do not compare the 20watts of a 2220 to 100 watt logitech computer speakers, they aren't even in the same galaxy, subwoofers or not, either in power output or sound quality. Some audiophiles detest the sound of MP3's or CD's, and yes, I can hear the difference between those and good vinyl, but I would rather listen to an MP3 through a Marantz than vinyl through most anything else.. My Yamaha rx360, Technics, Fisher and others I have all fail miserably in comparison.

As with all Marantz amps I have, every one of them has a warm sound, and unlike any other amp where I turn UP the bass, On the Marantz I turn OFF loudness, and turn down the bass... Even the lower power units have the oomph to drive larger woofers, even if it's not the perfect match, they'll do it without complaint.

[Dec 08, 2013]
stereoguy11
AudioPhile

Hello, this is already the 4th vintage Marantz review I've written in the last month. Why? Because I love vintage Marantz's! (not to mention I have 4 of them) This is basically my 1st vintage Marantz receiver. I had a 2220b model that my mom gave me back in 1995 (her stepdad bought it from a garage sale back in the early eighties for $15!), but by 2007, with the selector knob busted off and the faceplate gone, I figured it was time to part with it and move on. I gave it to a friend (a fellow stereo enthusiast), and the rest is history. The following year I purchased this unit (the 2220) at a local music resale shop for $100. I figured I couldn't go wrong, since it was basically the same thing I had and I knew how good it sounded. Because it needed professional internal cleaning, I was not entirely happy with it for the first couple of years I owned it (there were serious issues with the selector knob). I sold it to my room mate who had it professionally cleaned and then sold it back to me. Although he loved the sound quality, it just wasn't powerful enough for him. Anyways, I'm very glad to have it back and I doubt I will ever part with it again. They just don't make 'em like this anymore! Let me illustrate my point: The marantz 2220 is now linked to my H/K AVR 7000 (circa 2000, rated at 110 wpc RMS in stereo mode), while the marantz (circa 1974) is conservatively rated at 20 wpc RMS. Each receiver powers a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers (the H/K powering a pair of vintage Bose speakers and the marantz powering a pair of current model Klipsch speakers (Synergy B-20s). All 4 speakers are rated at 75 watt max input power through 8 ohms. Although the H/K will crank much louder than the marantz, THE MARANTZ STILL HOLDS ITS OWN WHEN STACKED UP AGAINST THE MIGHTY HARMAN!!! While the extreme loudness may not be there with the marantz 2220, the flawless sound quality and sheer speaker kicking ability is. When paired with the big Harman, the two receivers make absolutely beautiful music together. So I leave you with this: If you have one of these fine vintage receivers, even if it is a lower end model such as the 2220, hang onto it, because it will likely outperform anything you can buy today at any one of the major department stores. And if you absolutely must sell it, don't settle for cheap!

[Mar 28, 2011]
Pilgrim
AudioPhile

totALLY THE BEST

[Dec 14, 2010]
Aaron
Audio Enthusiast

By far one of the best sounding and best looking receivers ever, I have a pair of some old realistic speakers and just by saying im using realistic stuff some would say i'm crazy but these are some kind of special edition and really sound great and then i have a pair of beautiful polk audio sda-2 i think, and this set up packs a punch

[Jul 18, 2005]
mr. man
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clean clear bass, sweet delicate highs, looks like a piece of art.

kind of big. it is old so some maintainence is probably around the corner.

i have loved listening to music for as long as i can remember. i think it started when i first heard thunder and rain in a song on a family friends high-end stereo. anyway i started my own quest for great sound in college with a polk/techniques set-up for my dorm room with pretty good results. that was all stolen a few years ago but turned out to be a blessing in diguise. I started looking for a replacement system after a few years of only an alarm clock radio to listen to. i fell in love with a pair of alon lil rascals. better than i have ever heard in a bookshelf for under a 1000 dollars. well i was using a free kenwood reciever to power them and the sounded so good, but i knew i wanted something much better. i trolled the forums and read reviews and desided instead of spending a thousand plus on a new reciever, i would look for a vintage marantz. i found one, made sure it worked and took it home. some people say the you need a sub woofer if you have bookshelves to get rich bass. whatever. first song i played there it was, deep and rich and so clean. sparkleing highs, perfect mids, and clean, clean lows. some say as well that there is no difference between any given reciever. again, whatever. it was clear as day. my alons were great with the 1990's kenwood, but now they sing! it's beautiful. i'm done searching for the next peice of equipment. why spend that much when for under 600 total i have such clean, perfect sound? anyway, thats my two cents. if you are looking for great sound and beautiful looks you can't go wrong with a marantz. if you have descent speakers they will sound better, if you have great speakers they with positivily sing. no bones about it.

techniques, kenwood

[Mar 28, 2004]
stratman672001
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build quality. Sounds great after 25 years. Cool look. Oooooh.. It's blue.

Aside from needing new resistors and caps... None.

I actually have a 2220B that I bought from a customer about 6 years ago. I had it cleaned and had all the bulbs replaced (love that blue). I hooked it up to my Advent sub/sat speakers and was duely impressed. I have an Onkyo "100 watt" receiver and the Marantz trounces it in sound quality can hang with it volume wise as well. I do plan on having a full electronic refurbishment in the near future. This entails replacement of the carbon resistors (which drift over time)with metal film (in the audio section) and RF nuetral (in the RF section) resistors and also putting in fresh filter caps. Anyone thinking of this take note. Do NOT under any circumstance replace the transistors. They were specially matched to each other and if replaced the unit will not perform the up to original specs. This unit is fantastic. Wish someone would build something of this quality and not charge $2000 for it. Marantz was the cream of the crop in the '70's.

Onkyo TX V940, Pioneer SX-3700

[Jan 10, 2004]
Walter Bryant
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power, Looks, Sound & reliability.

No remote.

I have had all sorts of HIFI equipment in my lifetime from real high end to starter systems. I brought this 2025 off of ebay for $100.00 as a backup receiver for a 2275 that I also brought off ebay, OK If I would have brought the 2025 first I would not have brought the 2275. The 2225 pickes up stations with out an antenna and sound good. The stereo that the 2225 replaceed had 75watts per channal but needed a sub woofer in line to fill out the sound on the bottom end I am going to sell it now it is not needed. FM&AM sound supper as does CD's on the 2225(lots of depth and sparkel)and this thing is 25to30 years old. And it look's cool to and is easy to use. Sometimes new is not better just different. the 2225 is a 5+ by to day standards.

[Mar 19, 2003]
drblasto
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Beautiful to look at. Most powerful 20 watts I've ever heard. Works nearly flawlessely after 30 years. Drives speakers that CLAIM to be out of its power range. Inexpensive (find one on eBay for 100-150 dollars American) and free for me!

You will NEVER drive a digital 5.1 speaker system with this receiver. It's 30 years old. Probably deserves better speakers than you (and I) am letting it play with. Makes you think twice about dropping 400 dollars on a black plastic box with a digital display.

I'm a 19 year old college student. My mother (ex-hippie) got this very same 2220 in 1975, given to her by a former boyfriend who bought it in 1973. It has traveled to every house she's lived, and has been in storage for about 5 years (retired from my father's work-room after their divorce). I had been using a Philips/Magnavox bookshelf system, but when my mom offered to give me the living room speakers (1972 Pioneer 3-ways with 12" woofers) I snapped them up like that and dragged out the old Marantz. I brought the setup down to college, hooked it up to the minijack output on my iMac, and promptly put the Philips system on the shelf! I would love to be able to put some really great speakers on this system, but unfortunately I'm on a college student budget. Even with the old Pioneers, it cranks out loud, clear sound. The machine is gorgeous like NO other receiver (brushed aluminum and that beautiful blue glowing face). Reliable (in 30 years, about 3 of the faceplate bulbs have been replaced). The best 20 watts I've ever heard out of a receiver. It outperforms other amps with 60-100 watts/channel, and does it with style! Listened briefly with my friend's newer Pioneer 3-ways (10" woofers) and it sounded a good deal better. I think I will replace the speakers LONG before I even THINK about getting rid of this wonderful machine. Smooth controls, crisp buttons, and Gyro-Touch Tuning. I'm an Industrial Design student. I wouldn't want anything else sitting on my desk. Except maybe a Marantz power-amp for it to sit atop.

Denon, Yamaha, Marantz 2250b

[Jan 23, 2003]
hcanipe
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Bullet-proof reliability, very clean sound, great pre-amp unit, attractive styling.

None when used as designed.

I bought this receiver used in 1973. It has been in near-daily use since then. I personally replaced the panel lights and on/off switch. Have cleaned the volume control and input selector switch several times but the unit has never been in the shop. The pre-amp is exceptionaly clean and I have used it as a pre-amp for years (hooked to a Hafler DH-200 power amp). I now use a Sony ES-series receiver for home theater but it does not sounds nearly as good as the Marantz/Hafler for music.

Sony STR-DA50ES