Showing 1-10 of 11  
[May 26, 2006]
Nounours18200
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Built like a Tank !
Outstanding bass and lower midrange.
A lot of slam...
Easily outperforms a lot of established tubes based reference preamp...
So pleasant that you just forget there is a preamp in your system.
Ability to drive the amplifiers at the best, even the difficult ones.
Separated power supply with a long cord between the preamp and the PS (keep the PS far away).
Performs very well with Threshold amplifiers (but not only...).
High quality RCA output.

Weakness:

No standby button on the T2 itself, but only on the remote control.
Performs better after a 2 hours of running even when kept in standby mode (note that you need to let it plugged on AC during 2 weeks when you take it out of the box, before it reaches its tonal balance).

After having optimized my current equipement, I searched the best way to improve the quality of my system. I found a used Threshold T2 somewhere in Austria, and, as a Threshold SA-3.9e owner, I already knew how good the Threshold electronics can sound (I am not talking about the current Threshold products).
The T2 is really an excellent preamp. It is built like a Tank, reliable as a swiss watch.
It provides an excellent sound on the RCA outputs, particularly when the RCA cable uses some top level RCA connectors such as the Eichmann Silver Bullet or Nextgen connectors: with such excellent connectors (and of course an excellent cable), the difference with the XLR outputs is very subtle: it does exist, but it is very very small.
It has a wonderful bass and low midrange, the best I have eared to date. The highs are said (by Stereophile) to outperform the Mark Levinson 38S but not as good as the 380S, but I am completely satisfied.
I have extensively compared it to the Audio-Research SP6B: the T2 is unbelievable better, more clarity, more authority, more definition, more everything in every domain... it is not the same team...
Used in conjunction with a Threshold SA-3.9e class A amplifier (Nelson Pass says that it is the best amplifier he designed during the period he worked at Threshold) connected through XLR, you get an incredible stable amplification chain with a damned excellent sound and no agressivity or grain at all.
When turning up the volume, the T2 points out its ability to drive the amp: the volume goes up and up and up... and it seems to have no limit...

Customer Service

There is a specialized company in the States (www.wintageamprepair.com I believe) specialized on Threshold products (Jon Soderberg).

I am looking for the same kind of expertise in Europe: if you know a European company or person specialized on this amp, please contact me...

Similar Products Used:

Audio-Research SP6-B preamp (tubes based)
Perreaux SM3 preamp (class A)
Counterpoint DA-10 DAC (fully updated by Mike Elliott in 2005)
Threshold SA-3.9e class A amp
Thiel CS 2.0 speakers+PR330M0 sub
XLR silver cables
Kimber Illuminati D-60 digital cable
DIY AC power cords

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Dec 19, 2005]
Tak1
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Transparent,airyness and details with more concrete pinpoint imaging and sound staging.

Weakness:

None

Still faithfully serving me for past 7 years now without any doubt a truly amazing piece of audiophile component. I had my recent upgrade thru Jon Soderberg in Singapore and after 2-3 weeks of running in..the T2 is truly unbelieveble!! even the demanding audiophile will note this. I'll recommend anyone to contact Jon Soderberg for upgrade and services of Threshold Corporation product.

Similar Products Used:

Spectral,ML380s,Passlab

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jun 13, 2003]
arthurbrice
AudioPhile

Strength:

Sound quailty, simplicity, build quality

Weakness:

Separate power supply to contend with, no standby button the the preamp

I've lived with my T2 now for nearly six months and it is a truly wonderful preamp. Even though the preamp has the complication of being housed in two boxes (power supply and preamp) its best quality besides sound quality is its simplicity, for 2-channel audio this preamp does just what it should, direct the audio signal without color or distortion while regulating volume to the amp. This the T2 does impeccably and ‘extremely’ musically, it presents a clear crisp defined image without the cold sterility other high-end brands give. The T2 supports balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs with equal grace. I’ve used it both ways and difference in sound between connection types is subtle when using better than average cables which is a major plus for those of you like myself using older gear that only supports the single-ended unbalanced connectors. This is a preamp that does need to warm up to give you all of the musical quality it is capable of. It’s manual recommends two days and it does show improvement then but my unit really opened up after two weeks. A note to others; Threshold meant what it said about separating the power supply from the preamp itself. Find some space in the bottom of your rack away from the preamp and other signal sources; you’ll hear the improvement. A few of the drawbacks and I consider them to be minor; is the objection by some to the clicking you will hear from the stepped attenuator by the volume control and input selector. I honestly prefer hearing it since you should keep the display turned off as much as possible to prolong its life, another minor flaw (yawn). The only drawback that I consider irksome is simply someone forgot to put a standby button on the preamp itself when designing the T2, you need to have a working remote in order to do that. To those unfamiliar with the T2 to keep down microphonics and maintain thermal stability you do not turn off the T2, it is placed in standby, so like your towel always keep your remote. The remote is basic, it’s functional but clunky but that is a personal gripe I have with almost every stock remote I’ve encountered. Like previous reviewers, I will heartily recommend ‘Vintage Amp and Repair’ Jon Soderberg’s shop if you need service. Don’t look to the new Threshold Company for support or documentation on the older equipment, too bad for them; the old Threshold gear has loyal followers. If you are looking for a straightforward 2-ch preamp in the realm of used gear, give the Threshold T2 a try it is a wonderful sounding preamp built like a tank.

Similar Products Used:

Levinson No38, Krell KRC Ayre K-1x

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Apr 07, 2003]
Jules99
Audio Enthusiast

If anyone ever needs to get a Threshold Amp or Preamp fixed or modified, the best guy to fix it is, Jon Soderberg. This guy really knows his stuff. He was one of the designers at Threshold. Here's his website, email address and number. http://www.rsvlonline.net/vintageamp/ Phone: (916) 721-9611 jon_soderberg@rsvlonline.net

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jul 23, 2001]
A.J.
Audiophile

Strength:

The build quality is amazing, the sound is sweet, warm, detailed, faithful reproducer of music. all the inputs and outputs one would ever need. The remote control is also amazing, its built to last.

Weakness:

none that I could possibly think of.

I have lived with this pre-amp for several years now, and I am still impressed with the sound on a daily basis. For those of you in the market for a stste of the art pre-amp, I highly recommend you at least seriously consider the T-2. I have had the pleasure of being able to hear, in many different settings, all the pre-amps I mentioned previously, and the T-2 is simply one of the finest sounding pieces I have yet to come across! In terms of musicality and faithful reprodution it is second to none. I mentioned the build quality and the simple beauty of the design and chassis. There is only one pre-amp, in my opinion that comes any where near being as pleasing to look at as the T-2, which is the Jeff Rowland Synergy! Please take my advice, and use my many years of experience in this wonderful hobby, as a tool, in your search of musical nirvana. For those worried about service and repair, you needn't despair, for Vintage Amp Repair is the only place on earth I would trust to work on my beloved Threshold components. They are located in Citrus Heights, CA and are also on the web, www.vitageamprepair.com

Similar Products Used:

Jeff Rowland Synergy, Krell KRC-HR, Classe CP-60, Mark Levinson 38S, Audio Research LS-5mk11, Spectral DMC-20 series 2, to name a few, and the T-2 is on par, and in some areas bests the above mentioned!

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Nov 18, 1998]
Miika Jantti
an Audiophile

I think that this preamplifier is a legend in a High End world. It's legend because it's not in manufacturing anymore. It wouldn't been for over three years in the Stereophile Recommended Components list if there isn't something magic. It's shame to see such a company like Threshold to just dropping like that in the business. Well maybe they are getting new owners in a future. We all hope so. They have only made great products and nothing else.T2 is fully balanced line level preamplifier. It's made like a tank. There is a separate DC power supply and for example the transformer is very massive like in a big Class-A poweramp. When I first saw this great product I knew that this is what I have beeing looking for. I was ready to buy it immediately. It's very detailed and fast and there is absolutely amazing transparency.
The bass is very depth and the midrange is well balanced. T2 is very natural and I would say that it's enjoying. It's made for people who want's to listen music and nothing else. It works vey well with my poweramp. which is Threshold T400. (See my review of T400 in these pages).
T2 is well designed. It looks nice and even better, it sounds nice. Best looking preamp. I have seen to date.
People who believes to ears must listen this piece of art. There must be something very special that makes me change this jewel. Why change good product. You may not find better.
But maybe we have lost a very big gem. A company named Threshold Corporation.

Associated products:

PS-Audio CD-transport
PS-Audio D/A-converter
Threshold T400 poweramplifier
Martin Logan SL3 speakers
Cardas Hexlink Golden 5-C interconnects
Monster speaker cables with Cardas rhodium clips

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Nov 19, 1998]
Bob
an Audiophile

Fully discreet class A direct coupled, fully balanced circuit with remote control. Volume is controlled by relay controlled 1% resistors. Vill drive low impedance loads as output very high class A. Balanced in and out, as well as single ended. Separate power supply as described previously. Sound is totally transarent and reveals whatever it is fed. Unfortunately Threshold is now closed, so this jem will no longer be produced. It is worth whatever you pay for it. Retail close to $6000

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jun 02, 1999]
Gar
an Audiophile

The T2 is one sweet PreAmp, when I really want to get back to the sonic qualityof true perfection, I fire up my T-800D Amp mated with the T2, and I hear a
slice of heaven. When people are flocking to HT systems(I have one also)I have
not heard "ANY" Pre/Pro sound anywhere near as good as this Stereo PreAmp.

Excellent all the way around.
And Threshold is back in Business.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Aug 15, 1999]
Stephan Fiege
an Audiophile

This is one of the very best Pre-Amplifiers that I´ve heard. The sound is very clean, transparent and dinamic. Vocals has the usual presence and naturalness that it´s the set halmark. The bass is outstanding. The connection-panal and the design are great.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Feb 19, 1999]
Audionut
an Audiophile

Well I have to agree with the Reviewers down below. The T2 is one of the bestPre Amps that I have had in my system. It sounds very clean and detailed yet
neutral. It is built like and tank and the power supply is huge. Display can
be turned down or off on unit, fully balanced inputs and outputs. Switching
is clean, although you do get a clicking when swithing but that didn't bother
me after awhile. As for Threshold being out of business, I think they will be
back, and I have greatly benefited from this somewhat true rumor, I now have
a T-800D and a T2 and this match is a little slice of Audio heaven. :)

Check out this link: Chris English is trying to get things up and runing.
http://www.threshold-audio.com/

No doubt in my mind or ears! 5 stars.

Equipment used:

Threshold T-800D Amp
Martin Logan SL3's
Dynaudio Contour 2.8's
Sony XA7ES
Chang Line Conditioner
Monster Sigma speaker Cable

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
Showing 1-10 of 11  

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.

audioreview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

Other Web Sites in the ConsumerReview Network:

mtbr.com | roadbikereview.com | carreview.com | photographyreview.com | audioreview.com