Spectral DMC-12 Preamplifiers

DMC-12

2 channel preamplifier

Gene Muszak   AudioPhile [Apr 12, 2006]
Strength:

Soundstage, circuit design, transparency of sound, but what sets it apart are the Input and output gain selectors switches make it an exceptional design. .

Running my Thinkpad through the Spectral made MP3 files sound like music, okay the sound was a little empty but I can listen to it for hours.

The price to performance ratio.

Lack of a remote control; only recently have I realized how important a remote is.

Summary:
I have had my DMC-12 for over 10 years, and for $3500 (US)it is among the best preamp you can buy. Indeed the longevity of the model is testament to that; Spectral has not had an upgrade to the DMC-12 since they released it. I have only heard glowing reviews regarding the DMC-12, and I have to go along with everyone else praising its sonic qualities.

After I moved to a larger apartment the Spectral DMC 12 & DMA 90 reached new heights. I'm not sure what made my jaw drop, the Spectral or my realization of how good the Martin Logan Aerius are.

Perhaps there is a synergy between the Spectral and electrostatics but my modest system is superior to many dealer's listening rooms costing much much more. The next item I will upgrade are my speakers, and the choice I make may force me to upgrade to a DMC 20 or 30 and a DMA 160. But changing the Spectral simply for the sake of change doesn't make any sense.

Customer Service

Pretty good; easy to get a Spectral engineer on the phone to answer questions. Although they will not upgrade input connections.

Similar Products Used: Spectral DMA-90
Mountainb   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 22, 2003]
Strength:

stage, detail, air, dynamics, transparent, very musical

to be careful match with non Spectral components

One of the most best pre-amplifiers. The DMC is connected with a Plinius SA 102 power amplifier. Sources are Levinson 390s CD processor and a Transrotor Fat Bob S analogue-deck. In the past I've tried several pre-amplfiers. The combination with the Plinius is wonderful Music, music, music, music and music!!!

Similar Products Used: Plinius CD LAD, Levinson 38, 380S and much more
Blackie   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 08, 2001]
Strength:

Great build quality, clear open sound

No remote

Quite an amazing product, very detailed and smooth with a huge soundstage. Very accurate imaging and a solid build. If you are a fan of that Wilson Audio sound, ie accuracy and detail above all else, this would be the preamp for you.

Similar Products Used: Krell KCT & KRC-3, ML-380, CJ PV14
tasos kotsikonas   Audiophile [Nov 12, 1999]
Strength:

Incredible soundstage

Not enough inputs for me, less detail than DMC-20

It took me a mere 10 minutes of home auditioning of this
masterpiece, to replace my ARC LS-3 preamp. The size
of the soundstage is astounding; this preamp stayed with
me for 18 months and was just replaced by the DMC-20 S2.

The DMC-20 is eventually the most spectacular and
transparent preamp I have listened to, and overpowers the 12
with its diamond-cut precise imaging and detail. The
DMC-12 has got to be the best bargain in the high end
today. Its only weakness is lack of ultimate detail.

Overall it's a spectacular preamp. I compared it
with Jeff Rowland, Krell and ML gear at double the
price and the choice was obvious to me.

CSO   an Audiophile [Aug 07, 1999]

I nearly fell out of my chair the first time I heard this preamp in my system. I borrowed one from the local dealer and compared it to the Mark Levinson 38, BAT VK3, and Audible Illusions 3a. Everything about the Spectral was better, but I was floored by the soundstage. I could not believe that the Spectral sounded so much better than the other preamps in my room. Needless to say, I ordered the Spectral (with phono stage) and have not looked back. Now, the only preamps that I consider superior are Spectral's own DMC-20 and the tubed CAT, of course I haven't heard everything.
Spectral's build quality, technical design, and aesthetics are absolutely unsurpassed.

P.S. The only preamp even close in sound quality was the Audible Illusions--it's a hell of a piece for the money.

Mike   an Audiophile [Sep 20, 1999]

The one of the best solid pre-amp. to the best of my knowledge(the others that I have ever had include Mark Levindon 26, Audio Research 2b and etc.).Matching with Spectral amp. is must. Otherwise you will get harshness in high.
Also to match with MIT/Spectral cables would help to get more details and
coherence from bottom to top in great deal.