Placete Model Preamplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 01, 2003]
Joe
Audio Enthusiast

I have just installed this unit between my Sony DVP9000ES and Audio Research 100.2. I have been very impressed to date. This preamp works as advertised. I can clearly hear certain vocal passages and soft percussion that I could not make out before. Perhaps, the most honest product I have encountered. It reduces the signal and imparts clarity and lower distortion just as Guy Hammel said it would.

[Feb 05, 2003]
JD3
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clarity & fine-tunning

Needs short length cables with passive unit

My NHT VT-2 5.1 audio/video system needed an analog volume control to play SACD from a Sony 9000ES CD/DVD/SACD player with a by-pass when using a Theta Casa Nova to play DVD. Placete had the right combo for just over $1100. While this Review area only has space for a pre-amp unit, Placete has 3 different pre-amps, an active unit at around $4000, a passive unit at around $1400, & the one I got, a Volume Control Unit for a single input for $1000 with an added by-pass for an extra $100. Easy to set up & plays analog SACD with such clarity that my NHT VT-2 sounds almost as good as my larger stereo system with Martin Logan SL3's. This is the answer for audio-manics that need a simple answer to play SACD stereo within an all digital 5.1 digital system

Audio Reseach LS9 & LS16, Theta Casa Nova

[Jan 30, 2003]
Verbatum
AudioPhile

Strength:

An open window to the recording. Nice build quality. Neutral, not euphonic

Not a weakness really but should be partnered with gear that does not have glaring defects like el cheapo CD players.

I have the passive version and it is simply a straight wire with gain...the ideal that all preamps are supposed to strive for...but seldom achieve. Requires a good break in. Fit and finish are absolutely first rate. Transparent, grainless and uncolored.

Bryston, Conrad Johnson, Rogue, Classe

[Dec 13, 2002]
fordcoupe
AudioPhile

Strength:

Dynamics/soundstaging/transparency

Underwhelming cosmetics.

I inserted the Placette one input remote unit into my system with much anticipation It did not disappoint! Rather, it was very dynamic and transparent. The soundstage was wider and deeper than my previous active preamps (exc. the Cello). This passive pre is worth every penny, and a bargain used. I have used the EVS passive controls and found them to lack in dynamics. I use only a turntable, so the single input is all that is needed. My system is a Basis table/Graham 2.2/VPI SDS/Helikon/Pass Xono/Placette/KR VT6000 monos/Nordost Quattros and SPM Ref. cables/Virt. Dynamics Nite power cords/Wilson Watt/active air suspension tables.

Similar Products Used:

TLC 1R passive/KR P150 active/CJ Premier 14 active/EVS passive/Cello Palette(wonderful, but too many inputs and controls).

[Jun 17, 2002]
gold
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Dynamic, Good bass drive, No veiling like some tube preamps, No brightness like some solid state preamps.

Looks! This thing is just not pretty at all.

Nice preamp! Clearly the best passive unit on the market. If you want to hear clarity from your source material you must try the Placette. It really is transparent. Some might like tubes but the low noise floor makes the Placette my first choice.

BAT 3i, Reference line, First sound, Classe, Krell, Plinius, McCormick

[May 24, 2002]
Illoong Kwon
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Transparency

Lack of dynamics

Matched with Musical fidelity A3CR amp and Rega Planet 2000 CD player, this preamp failed to impress me. Yes, I did use low inductance silver ICs. This was disappointing since Guy Hummel at Placette assured me that it will match well with my system. Simply put, the lack of dynamics was so apparent. Back to Rogue 66 magnum tube preamp, the dynamics were back. Much better... By all means, try it before you buy.

Musical Fidelity A3CR, Rogue 66 magnum, Cary SLP-2002

[Mar 13, 2000]
Larry
Audiophile

Strength:

phenomenal soundstage; clarity; accuracy

lacks romantic warmth/envelopment of certain tube preamps

I hope no one reads this and then decides to buy this preamp. I've talked to dealers who have said that they cannot sell an item until it receives a favorable review in one of the major mags. What a shame. At most, a review should point out possible candidates for purchase. That is why it is a pity that products such as the placette preamplifier are not reviewed because they are not widely available. Why review the stuff anyone can go and hear for themselves and not the stuff that is hard to find? The placette is only available by direct purchase and 30-day trial. If you are looking for a remote controlled preamplifier, it is worth sending away for this unit.

Although the placette preamplifier does not actually amplify line level signals, unlike passive preamplifiers I have tried in the past which tend to enervate every signal which passes through them, the placette preserves the drive and impact of rhythmic, dynamic music. It must be the buffers. Its hard to describe the "character" of this preamplifier since it changes with each selected recording. This suggests that it is accurately reproducing what is in the recording instead of imparting its own quality on the signal. While their were times I wished the music had more of the kind of warmth and seeming "in the room" presence of tube preamplifiers, such as the Cary, I am guessing that this is actually a coloration since the Cary has this quality with whatever is passed through it. Besides, the placette achieves that quality of spectral presence of musicians by creating solid, stable images, that seem to be anchored in a definite place on a deep soundstage.

I terms of ease of use, the remote control handles switching of all inputs. The volume attenuators has something like 126 discrete steps. However, in my set-up, the lowest level is somewhat louder than I would prefer, and the steps in the lower volume range could be closer together. Using a Linn Linto phono preamplifier and a Lyra mc cartridge, I could not get enough gain from the built-in headphone amplifier to play my grado HP-1 headphones at anything approaching the threshold of pain; with CDs, the gain is sufficient.

Very highly recommended. Should be auditioned.

BAT-VK5i; BAT VK30; Cary PL98; Krell KRC; Coda FET-01

[May 11, 2000]
mike mikel
Audiophile

Strength:

Well to start off if you are really serious about music and not so much concerned about home theater, Then this is the preamp to listen to. I as an audiophile am so sick of dealers who have know way of lending out a demo or just dont want to lend it out, Or even maybe bringing it to your home for audition and except you to buy it, you maybe lucky by taking a shot buying it and reading reviews depends on all the other things that go along with the politics of rag sheets And reviewers not knowing what there doing or dont have the real time to break things in or swap units cause there prest for time. The thing is if you can't get a hold of units that aren't local is to ask a company to give your phone number to a previous owner to hear his opinion. The good thing about Placette is you have a 30 day return so theres your shot to match it up against anything in the price range of five grand and higher. I had preamps that cost alot more and this preamp seems to fool people into amazement of how dynamic this preamp is for a passive pre. And theres not a passive preamp out there that has this characteristic. I been involved in this hobby for years since I was ten years old and Im thirty four years old now and still learnig, We learn in life as we get older and it never stops. This preamp is great and has dynamics as if it were a acttive preamp with out the over done bass and noise involved. If your amp has a less sensitive input Placette could match it up to your amps specs with now problem. I can say when I heard this preamp with out it being burnt in it still seem to be as more open than any other preamp I heard. Very quick clean and takes some time to break in so take your time not to judge to quick, thats if you can detect anything of it. Its very accurate I don't know if its the most accurate but what I heard up against and had, it seems to get out of the way. The products I had I will list a few cause I,ll be her all day lol. Krell Plinius SIM Naim Mc Cormack Audioresearch CJ Rotel Parasound Nad Crown Macro Virtual mode Magnum SonicFrontiers Bryston YBA Audiorefinement MSB.ok. If anyone wants to know more of this product you can call me 718 449 1074 I can give my peace of mind.

For a person who just wants a great product with out the added inputs or bells lights etc. Just try before you bye and good luck searching,The search maybe over sooner than you think.

[Apr 23, 2000]
Robert Lang
Audiophile

Strength:

See Previous Review

See Previous Review

Oops! I made a $6300 typo towards the end of my lengthy
review immediately below. I said that the Placette Passive
out performed pre amps costing more than "$700"
auditioned in my system. That should have read "$7,000".
I specifically had in mind the Arye K-1, which sounded
very good, but at times was a bit too defined, which took
away from the music. But I must also say that the Arye
has the best sounding phono stage, by far, that I have
ever heard. Of course, The Placette Passive does not have
a have a phono stage. I use the Music Reference RM 4+
(see my separate review of the Music Reference)which
works wonderfully with the Placette.

But as a line stage the Arye, as are most active pres, are at a distinct disadvantage when compared with the Placette
Passive pre. Designers of active pre amps have to devote
a lot of resources simply to overcome or negate the effects
of the components own circuitry. How often have you seen
ads for high end pre amps which speak to their expensive
power regulators, reduced negative feedback schemes, selective simplified circuits, noise reduction designs etc., all to get the pre amp out of the way of itself and closer to the music. True, some do a wonderful job of minimizing their imposition on the music, but at a tremendous dollar cost.

Point is, that if your system lends itself to a passive pre (see the easily met requirements I detail in my previous review) then you should seriously consider one. And in my experience there is none better that I have heard (active or passive) than the Placette Passive.

Robert C. Lang

One of a Kind

[Feb 02, 2001]
TFA
Audiophile

Strength:

Transparency, dynamics and high resolution

none so far

This passive pre-amp with a remote is a steal. I used Adcom GFP750, McCormak TLC deluxe, Audible Illusion L1, NEW P3, but nothing was close. Since I purchsed a SONY SCD777ES, I immediately realized the GFP750 and L1's weakness, lack of ultimate transparency because of SACD's high resolution, dynamics and amazing treble sound. Through this Placete pre, treble, midrange, bass, dynamics, soundstage width or depth are all well passed to power amps without any hint of distortion. I feel so lucky not to spend thousands of money to get this good sound. Highly recommend.

My system: SONY SCD777ES-Placet passive-Aronov 960(mid, bass) & Rougue 88 (treble) tube powers-Merlin TSM & Rell Strata III, Cables: JPS Ultra Conductor interconnects and Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cables (bi-amp system)
I am getting PS Audio P600.

Adcom GFP750, McCormak TLC