B&K Components PT 3 Preamplifiers

PT 3

HIFIVE   AudioPhile [Sep 02, 2005]
Strength:

You don't have to pair this up with a B&K power amp. Try it on other high quality power amps, you will be pleasantly surprised at the results

You must be joking!

This is an update to a previous review. My PT3 was put up for a while to try a few high end preamps, some of which were very good. I just recently installed the PT3 on some Nuforce amps I recently aquired. I could not believe how good they sounded together. The whole soundstage opened up with great transparency & detail. I also have tried this preamp with a McCormack DNA-1 with excellent results as well. This preamp gives you the ability to shape the sound rather than trying to treat a room's acoustics. Anyway don't worry about the loudness button, its there but it doesn't mean you have to use it. Superb preamp for the price & above. I have no choice but to give the PT3 high marks!

Similar Products Used: Too numerous to mention.
Dave   AudioPhile [Jul 31, 2003]

This is a review for the PT5, the replacement for the PT3. I stopped into a local Tweeter store to look at the new preamp. As I had owned the PT3 but had sold it, I went immediately to the Loudness button. Same old,same old! You would have thought the designers might read owner's reviews in websites like AudioReview and take a look at the over -the-top bass problem. I guess not. This unit looks and feels like the PT3. The big difference I see is in adding balanced output connectors to the back of the unit. The price has increased by $100 or so. This unit is a mid-fi preamp. Buy the PT3 and save some money unless you need balanced outputs... but why would you be using this preamp for that?

smglbrth   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

Build quality, neutral sound.

Loudness feature is "overstressed"

After listening to this preamp extensively for the past couple of months I feel that I need to place my opinion on the piece. First off I won't tell you how it sounds since everyone has different preferences in music and also different equipment. I feel the loudness button is pretty useless since it boosts the lower frequencies up 6 db's. That's quite a bit, a bit too much in my opinion. The floor would shake with little volume applied and sounded very muddy. But..., my equipment is different than yours. The programmable features are neat but I never use them. They are a bit difficult to navigate through and some things you can only do with the remote. Other than those two things I love this preamp. It's smallish size makes a nice fit just about anywhere. This is first preamp I've used which utilizes a "digital" volume. The same nob on the unit controls the bass, treble, and balance features. It took a little while to get used to since it's sensitive but works fine. The control in/out feature will turn things on/off when the unit is taken out of sleep mode. This I find especially useful since my amp (B&K ST125.2) is placed far above what my wife can reach. The face is attractive with no mess of nobs and buttons. The buttons which are on the unit light up in red when utilized. These buttons are the soft touch control design, not the heapy cheapy hard plastic junk. The remote is ok, not the best but it beats not having one at all. I find the build quality to be excellent, something I would expect from an American maker who takes pride in their product. BTW - The exact preamp I own is the Series II, Version 2.05.

Similar Products Used: Audiosource, Onkyo, Carver.
kyle c   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2003]
Strength:

clean crisp sound, looks good too

remote can be a pain and the loudness feature could use some refinement

This was my first step out of the lower end of audio equipment. After spending several months listening to many systems accross a wide range of prices I settled on the B&K PT lll series ll pre amp mated to a B&K ST2140 amplifier. I am currently using a realley old Techniques MASH cd player and my old faithfull Klipsch 45G's. Switching to the B&K from my old techniques integrated amp/pre-amp was astounding. The Bass is tighter the highs higher and the entire spectrum of sound is both fuller and cleaner. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad I saved a couple of G's and went with the B&K cmponets.

HIFIVE   AudioPhile [Jan 03, 2003]
Strength:

Transparency, detail, better sound than some more expensive preamps

None worth mentioning

As an audiophile i feel compelled to write a review on this preamp. If you have thousands of dollars to spend on a preamp, buy this one first because it will save you alot of money that can be better spent elsewhere. I feel alot of audiophiles will ignore this preamp because of it's cheap price tag but they will also miss out on it's sound quality. I've tried other more expensive preamps but i always go back to the PT3. You can always find fault with any product but the one thing the PT3 does well is it allows us to enjoy the music. I highly recommend.

Similar Products Used: McCormack, Audio research, Bryston, B&K
NOODLES   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 01, 2003]
Strength:

After a quick burn in, the seperation is wonderul. Great value.

The tuner section could be better, but at this price I can't complain. The remote is a little hard to use.

I recently picked up this preamp for an extra system that I was putting together with a few old extra components that I had laying around. I am using a old Dynaco 400 that was modified and a pair of Thiel CS3.5 speakers.

SHeldon   AudioPhile [Apr 28, 2002]
Strength:

warm, rich sound

detail of upper frequencies

Havong downgraded from a krell 300i, I wanted something with both features and sound quality. This provided me with both. The sound is very warm and rich, though it does lack some detail, especially on the upper end. Still, it would be difficult to find a better "musical" player for anywhere close to the price. What I like the most about the player though is the fact that it is possible to connect more amps (for more speakers) so that a center, or stereo front/rear may be used. Associated equipment: Acurus A100 Martin Logan Aerius i rotel 951 cd

Fabrizio   Audiophile [Mar 18, 2000]
Strength:

Detail, looks, flexibility

no balanced

I bought this pre-amp two weeks ago. It really impressed me when I auditioned it in the dealer, it sounded very clear and detailed. I was interested in the Classé CP-35, but it was a lot more expensive. I compared them the same day and there wasn't much difference between them, the classé had maybe a little more bass but it was very hard to notice. The only advantage the Classé had was that it was balanced, but the price was a lot more for this. This pre-amp is the best choice for $1000, or I would even say $2000.

Similar Products Used: Classé CP-35, Adcom GFP-750
Lafe Bagley   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 07, 1999]
Strength:

Easy to program (with 40 presets including tuner stations, volume, balance, etc). Good remote, better than some with pre-amps costing thousands more. Awesome price at $598.

None that I can think of!

I'm using the pre-amp with the B&K ST 1400 II (125 Wpc) amp. I auditioned matched pairs from Parasound, Adcom, Myriad, Musical Fidelity, Rotel, NAD and nothing sounded as good as the B&K Components. Such a nice uncolored sound. I wasn't looking for anything other than transparency; didn't want "warm," or "bright."

Similar Products Used: None (this is my first hi-fi purchase).
Andrew Cohen   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 06, 2000]
Strength:

Feature rich, very flexible programming, clean sound, quality-made in U.S.A construction

confusing remote, weak instructions

I am very happy with this B&K preamp for my two channel system that includes the B&K ST2140 amp, a pair of JMLab 807's and a Sony (cringe) DVD/CD player. The sound is clean, perhaps a little bright on the high end but overall an excellent piece of equipment at a fantastic value. B&K stands by their products and everything is made right here in Upstate NY. The feature set on this preamp is IMHO unmatched.