TCC TC-750 Phono Preamps

TCC TC-750 Phono Preamps

DESCRIPTION

* 12 volt DC operation; will work anywhere in the world
* limited lifetime defective exchange warranty
* RIAA freq response 20hz-20,000hz +/- 0.5dB, S/N ratio >85dB
* THD <0.05%, input sensitivity 3.0mV
* Nominal / max output 300mV / 1.8V
* Output impedence 200 ohms, input 47kohm /220 pF
* CE certified, nice packaging suitable for gifting
* gold-plated jacks and black anodized metal casing
* ground wire terminal; power indicator
* includes RCA cable and miniplug adaptor
* 142mm long / 73mm wide / 37mm high
* includes AC adaptor to match destination
(USA/Canada or overseas)

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 02, 2018]
pokee1016

Strength:

Good little phono preamp. Compared to average small box pp's and most in-board receiver preamps this unit provides a little more dynamics and detail. That said, if you do a little modification you can turn it into something that you might not have a problem listening to on a rather good system. I added a much improved regulated 12 volt supply (bypassing the input safety diode) and swapped the in and output caps to higher quality. That's probably all you need to do since throwing more money at it isn't going to turn this little thing into a giant killer. Having done those upgrades it has become a rather nice sounding, pleasant little unit.

The downside is that there are a number of units in the $100-$150 range that will significantly better the TCC out of the box but if you like having a little fun with upgrades/ tweaks and you have some time on your hands you can turn this thing into a respectable sounding little phono pre.

Purchased:
Used
[Dec 30, 2013]
jeff0616
Audio Enthusiast

Using TCC TC-750LC (input sensitivity knob) with a Project Carbon TT, Grado Red phono cartridge, and foam vibration pad. No hum or noise like others reported. I suspect the problem with others may be grounding between the pre-amp and TT. Audio store (Little Guys) demonstrated my new TT and cartridge on a professional pre-amp, before I brought it home, so this is my only comparison. The soundstage is not as deep as a professional pre-amp. I'm considering an upgrade before recording my vinyl, but may just keep this one. Did I say the TCC is clean and noiseless?

[May 26, 2012]
fap
AudioPhile

G'day all, I bought this little phono stage on generally good reports and I wanted a good phono stage based on discrete transistors, not op amps as a change to my own DIY op amp based units.

I rate the TCC TC-750 very highly except for one thing, the supplied 'switch mode' wall wart. This seriously limits the potential of the TC-750. The supplied wall wart generates audible 'prickle' in the audio output.

I have modified mine to use a pure 12 DC gel gel power supply and the difference is massive. The background 'blackness' (with battery power supply) is impressive. Highly recommended! Regards, FAP.

[Jan 31, 2011]
morrisoj
Audio Enthusiast

I thought my receiver preamp was doing a reasonable job, till I listened to this unit. What a revelation! Sadly it meant I had to recopy all of my decent vinyl. Buy this unit first, then convert your vinyl.

[Aug 30, 2009]
Kiwi
Audio Enthusiast

When I looked at this MM Preamp, at this store which sells mostly parts for electronics, I said to myself, that I should try this, it should be fun! for $50.00 you can not go much wrong.

So I bought it and plug it in, Rega TT with SME III arm, and Ortofon cartridge, OM20,, SME's own RCA cable from TT to TC750 and from TC750 to Elad was carried by VDH D102III cable.
It sounded really bad, sound had no weight, extremely poor focuse and very fatigue, just two songs and I stop listening.

But left it plugged in.

Next night, 24hrs later, the sound came out of this little box was totally different from previous night, it had very good weight and sounded very well ballanced across the entire frequency spectrum without any hum or any other strange nose added.
The fact is I had never herd analog so good before and I am not being sarcastic here, I am writing this with all the seriousness.
I had, in the past NAD PP1 and PP2, Creek OBH 8 MM stage, Project Phono Box.

Among all of the above, this little inexpensive box sounded the best.
If you are not happy with its sound, then this unit is not the problem, the problem is somewherelse in your system.

Start with a good preamp, then change your power amp, do not look for power house amp, 50 to 70WPC Continious into 8 ohms is enough for most people, and if it doubles it power into 4ohms, the better.
Then get a good pair of speakers, stand mounter usually offer better sound, they disappear leaving the soundstage only, do not go after the speaker which creates "Tremendous Bass", the Bass, specially poor quality bass, will muddy the overall sound, and you would hear highs and lows mostly and very little mid-range where most of the music is. If you find it hard to believe, just go to any audio retailer and listen to both the stand mounters and floor standers, in few minutes of music listening, it may appeal to you but once you bring them home, overtime, you will be tired of their sound and find them fatigue sounding, or you will start to think about other things and not pay attention to music cuz it is not involving.
Once you got that, then start with the source, cuz now you have a system which would tell you if the source is half-decent or not.

Now this TC 750 MM Pre, is certainly more then half decent sounding, I prefer it to NAD, Creek and Project, that's how good it is.

Go buy one and try it, leave it plugged in for atleast 24hrs, and give it a litsten, in worst case you will be out of $50.00.

[Aug 22, 2009]
Robert Neff
AudioPhile

THe frequency rsponse is very poor - in spite of the "RIAA" equalization and advertised specifications - especially the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio which does not come close to 85 decibels. It has excessive line frequency "hum" (60 Hz) that may be associated with the very cheap 12-volt power supply. However, like another rated said, for fifty bucks, what can one expect? In other words, you get what you pay for. I do not use this device for anything any more...

[Nov 15, 2008]
Maraakate
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Small, lightweight, easy to transport (great if you bring your turntable over to friends houses!)

I did a lot of vinyl archiving with this and now I've noticed I basically did it for nothing. This cleanly cuts off around 20kHz no matter what. It even stated this on the website and I never noticed that. I wish it had a higher frequency response, but for $50 you can't complain too much.

Not a bad preamp, it sounds pretty good. I originally found it by googling for phono preamps and then search around on ebay and reading various reviews and feedback. I figured for $50 why not?

[Sep 08, 2008]
Tomás Mulcahy
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clean sound.

None at the price.

This is an excellent unit for the money. The complaint about the 60Hz hum must be due to a faulty power supply, or bad placement of the unit or audio cables near AC cables. I had no problem with mine, the signal to noise ratio is as stated- 85dB.

Very tight sound, possibly a little cold, but that's a matter of taste. Stereo imaging is excellent. It can handle the fairly high output of my Shure V15III.

I'm very happy with this unit.

Customer Service

Excellent

Similar Products Used:

Quad, JVC, B Tec, Yamaha, Sony.

[Nov 29, 2007]
rneff
AudioPhile

Strength:

Small, cheap, and very lightweight.

Low amplification with excessive line frequency "hum" in the output signal.

I thought having a reasonably good phonograph preamplifier for under $100 was too good to be true and the TC-750LC phono preamp proved this to be true. The line frequency (60 Hz) "hum" that this unit produces is only about 12 dB below the level of the audio signal generated by the turntable cartridge. I strongly suspect that this hum is produced by the cheap Model AD-35120200D ITE 12-volt DC power supply (that is the only practical means by which the 60 Hz line frequency can be induced into this DC operated amplifier).

[Jul 06, 2007]
K-Bob
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

small, inexpensive, sounds good

none

Phonopreamps.com TC-750

Nice sounding little $50 phono preamp. Sounds good to me and has good specs.
Got it to replace the phono section of an old HK 220A which I was using as a phono preamp. Compared to that it isn't as fat sounding but is more controlled and more even freq response top to bottom. I have no complaints with it at all and don't really see spending more on Pro-Ject or Music Hall or any other of the little ones.

Extra info from the company which is not on the website: "Our phono stages are discrete and use active RIAA equalization. . . The same phono circuit is shared by the TC-750, TC-750LC, TC-753LC and TC-754."