Yamaha AX-497 Integrated Amplifiers

• Switchable CD/DVD Direct Amplification

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 31, 2020]
yammy man

Strength:

I bought this unit in 2015 from Crutchfield (highly recommend them) and have been delighted with the amp ever since. This thing is built like a bulldozer! Last year I dropped it down a half flight of stairs(stepped on a Lego block while carrying it in bare feet, lost my balance, and had to let it go or risk falling myself, do NOT try this yourself). Aside from a few scratches nothing was broken, I was amazed it still worked and sounds as good as ever. Lucky for me the build quality is on the highest level, still has that great Yamaha balanced sound. 85 watts per channel is more than enough for my Yamaha NS- 6490 speakers to fill a small 12'x13' listening room as I never turn the volume past half way. A+B speaker switch allows an extra pair for even more great sound. Accepts dual banana plugs for speakers, separate inputs for phono, tuner, cd+dvd, tape, mini disc, and aux. Full size 1/4 inch jack for headphones on front panel.

These are not weaknesses just stating facts. This is an "old school" integrated class B amplifier. you won't find any bluetooth, USB, HDMI, or optical ports. You will also need a separate radio tuner if you want to listen to FM or AM.

Price Paid:
$299 on sale
Purchased:
New
[Jul 20, 2007]
tiomiguel
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Powerfull and great sound

None for the price.

well built and very powerfull amp, this machine returns yamaha to classic stereo.

Pioneer DV696AV
Yamaha AX-497
TANNOY FUSION 4

[Jun 13, 2007]
stockcontrol
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Does its job exceptionally well for the price. Looks great. Just handels the music better than AVR's.

None

My first 2 channel amp! Had always used AVR's untill now. This is in my gym (was the double garage) with a Marantz CD5001, B&W 601 S3 and Kimber speaker cable. Probably a bit of overkill for a gym but over the last few years the audiophile bug has hit, and hit hard. Im now reguarly upgrading my equiptment and moving it between rooms.
Im comparing this amp to a Yamaha RXV640. I wouldnt say this amp is light years ahead of an AVR but there seems to be no doubt that a dedicated 2 channel amp performs better for music.
What ive noticed is its dynamic range and greater clarity.
If all you want is sound the use whatever youve got but if great music is your goal then this is a worthy addition.
I cant comment on how this would compare to other brands in a side by side test however I definatly recomend this Yammy to anyone who was considering it.