Sony TA-F920 Integrated Amplifiers

TA-F920

Amp

Kim   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 01, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing sound, best I've heard for a long time! Built like a tank, MOSFET, High power. I love it!

Gets quite hot, heavy, you can't fault the sound

My boyfriend has the Taf - 930, the sound is gorgeous, I love listening to music I'd have otherwise over looked, buy this or the 940 you wont regret it!

Similar Products Used: NAD
Kim   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 01, 2003]

Gets quite hot, heavy, you can't fault the sound

Similar Products Used: NAD
Allan Knabe   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 27, 1998]

Spot on, this Amp is similar in appearance to somthing that Kenwood were nocking out a couple of years back, big with huge knobs. The model I have is the Brooklands project type (I think this is only available in the U.K.) which has a lot of its internals hardwired. The sound is powerfull but clear and responds well to any kinds of music from Radiohead to full on House. Quality is second to none (For the price). I bought it for £239.00 but its advertised at £300.00 I guess this is about $200.00 ish. Probably. Dont just take my recommendation for it! What Hi-Fi in the U.K. rated it as a supertest winner giving it 5 out of 5. Nuff said.

john Harrington   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 28, 1999]

The Taf 920 (of which I also have the re-worked Brooklands edition) cost me about £280 Irl (about $378 US) and I think it is the job, its slightly on the warm side, but is indeed very capable. It dose go very loud, and sounds dynamic with excellent volume swells in all the correct places. Parner it with some qwuaility equipment and it is a treat, very enjoyable and uplifting. The construction quality is second to none at th e price 5stars.

Alex   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 11, 1999]

Analyzing the sound only, it's better than any Arcam at any price.

Rowland Fraser   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 14, 2000]
Strength:

Detailed and un-fatiguing sound, build quality, value.

None

I bought the TA-F930 amplifier as a temporary replacement for a Sugden amplifier. I believe the 930 is an updated version of the 920. In the future I planned to upgrade to a Bryston or Copland amp and use the Sony in my study.

The TA-F930 is a bulky unit which is solidly built. Internally the layout is very neat. Two large heatsinks dominate and generate a fair amount of heat during operation. Input sources are switched by relays at the back of the PCB which is sonically better than routing the signals to the front of the amp.

I am amazed at the quality of the Sony when used to drive my PMC TB1 'speakers. I have auditioned many amps from leading specialist companies that do not approach this standard and cost 2-3 times the price.

Detail retrieval and imaging are excellent and the treble is free from grain. Vocals sound very natural and unforced. Add this fine build quality and a remote control and this is an unmissable product. Sonically it easily beats the Sugden which cost 550 pounds 2 years ago.

I have no plans to upgrade the Sony. I think "specialist" hifi companies could learn a lot from this amp.

PS

I am not an employee of Sony!