Sansui AU-717 Integrated Amplifiers

Sansui AU-717 Integrated Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

85 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1977-1979)

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 09, 2019]
grateful1031

Strength:

Just picked this up & im in love! What an amazing amp. I feel fortunate to grab this thing for the price i got it at. Makes my b&w 603s3 speakers sing. Gorgeous!

I haven’t found any weakness yet...

[Jul 06, 2019]
hellraiser

Strength:

Powerful ,dynamic very detailed sound. Clean and quiet preamp section. Solid, solid build. Can run two sets of speakers simultaneously, and has both mm and mc phone stage. Lastly the headphone amp sounds fantastic, put to shame many current amp/ dac combos and separates.

The only weakness is due to its age, only two channel, so you can't add a center channel.

1978
[Feb 07, 2019]
Japan

Strength:

Second time Around with this incredible model Tons of clean warm Power Impressive build quality Sonically sound for any application

None super value , get one at at any chance these will Continue to command bigger bucks compared to junk in stores!

1977
[Feb 07, 2019]
Japan

1977
[Jul 17, 2012]
Scott E.
Casual Listener

I bought this as a wedding present to myself back in 1978 and love it!

Question: I'm coming into the 21st century and wondering if I can use this amp with a 5:1 surround sound system, specifically MartinLogan MLT-2 speakers?

[Feb 08, 2012]
BillC
AudioPhile

Bought my Sansui AU-717 in Feb 1978 .It can not compair to anything out there today . I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers hook up to it with a Sony Reciever,technics lineir track turn table.
The Sansui has the cleanest sound . Never had a problem with it. I do yearly maintainins on it, Remove the cover clean with electronic spray ,and vac. Sounds as good as the day I bought it.

[Nov 18, 2010]
DerekSoCal
Audio Enthusiast

I was going to give away my AU-717 integrated amp (85 watts), but after comparing it to a newer Yamaha and a Denon Amp/Receiver (100-120 watts that I ended up returning )for my home theater setup, I changed my mind and decided to keep this old geeser AU-717. This guy kicks ass than those 2 new ones I tried. I'mnot even using an HDMI. Glad I was able to save money and still enjoy mu AU-717.

[Jun 04, 2010]
dakatabg
AudioPhile

I got this amplifier not long ago with the matching TU-717 tuner. One of the best amplifiers I have had. It drives anything I hook up to it. Deep bass and very good looking amp. The phono stage is pretty good too. I wasn't lucky enough to get it as cheap as some of the the guys here on the review but hey I don't feel sorry I bought it.

[Jan 09, 2009]
Richard
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound, plenty out there, and a little bit of reconditioning goes a long way. The sealed Alps volume control is a nice touch, and it is "stepped". All metal, even the knobs. I wonder how much it would cost to builda Dual Power Supply integrated amp of this quality today. Rated at 85W per channel broadband, I'll bet this thing has a lot of headroom.

30 years old, so it might need a little TLC, but as pointed out above, it really doesn't take all that much, and the sound of a recapped 717 is hard to beat: the TLC pays off. Physically a little heavy if you are used to more lightweight modern stuff.

In a nutshell, this is avery fine amp from Sansui's best period (mid Seventies). You can tell what year and month they were built by the S/N (third digit will be year and the next two the month). This one was built in August of 1977. The design is based on dual power supplies, each with its own transformer and PSB. The preamp section is very well shielded, with a separate metal hood covering the whole front end of the unit (easy to remove for potentiometer cleaning). All in all, a fine effort, and one that sold really well in its day, so they are not terribly rare, a good thing when it comes to potential repairs. A lot of people have working specimens of the 717 and its brethren that appear to sound just fine, but since these rascals are 30 years old, a little TLC might be needed. The one I picked up from eBay sounded good, but not exactly "open" in terms of imaging (my NAD 314 seemed to lack the Sui's muscle, but had the "openess" in spades). aAfter a couple of weeks of getting to know the 717, I sent it to Terry DeWick in Nashvile for a power supply board recap and anything else "within reason". The PSB area of most amps is a weakpoint because heat really builds up here, and the electrolytics on those boards (2 PSB's in a 717, remember) tend to dry out and malfunction. Terry used Nichicon Gold and Nichicon Muse. He replaced a couple of suspect resistors and caps elsewhere, scraped off some old anti resonant glue from the main boards (the stuff gets brittle and acidic as it ages) and adjusted the offset. As Terry points out, the aging of these caps actually hardens the sound of a good basic design. Replacing the "out of spec caps" actually returns the amp to its original personality. Well, the point is this: the AU-7171 benefitted in a really great way. I would easily compare this amp to most expensive modern gear I have heard. The openess is there, with plenty of detail, and the harshness I heard before the recapping is gone. This amp is no the primary source in our audio system. All in all, a fine audio investment. The 717 is a keeper.

Customer Service

Alas, Sansui is no longer around. I think the name was purchased and they make TV's etc.

Similar Products Used:

Pioneer SA-8800

[Aug 30, 2008]
andy hunter
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Has never died. Loud. Looks.

Channel drops lout periodically unless preamp switch in back is toggled....say...once every 5 months....hey...it's a early 70's amp! If frequencies are too bright, it will safety off.

THis is to help others with this Sansui Au 717 amp. For years one channel would almost go out unless I turned the volume up very loud to sort of clear it out. It took my a long while to discover the by toggling the preamp switch in the back of the unit back and forth, it would clear the problem completely, and would work for a long time before I needed to do it again. I ran my Pioneer CS 911's with this amp...and they were a perfect match. A fairly hard sound, but what I played through them was a lot of my home keyboard and multitrack recording...which had no compression compared to my records and tapes. The speakers never messed up. However, if you try to push them, the amp will turn itself off by going into it's cutoff phase, and it won't get out of the cut off until you actually turn the amp off the turn it back on. I think I need to set an alarm on my cell phone for me to turn on all the gear that I don't use anymore, so that the caps don't die off. Just power on this various amps for about four hours once a month should be ok. THe Sansui looks best with it's rack mounts, along with the matching rack mounts for it's TU 717 tuner. Hard, straight ahead sound. Not tubelike at all.

Customer Service

Never used any customer service for anything I ever bought.

Similar Products Used: